April 2011 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: April 2011 Reviews - London

Post by patc »

On the Tube going back to the hotel last night I couldn't help comparing the difference between the Premier League and the VPT. On the one hand you have one bloke reaching for his wallet and splashing out £50m for a new lead player and, in return, doesn't get a brass farthing. On the other hand Nick Evans doesn't fork out a brass farthing for his new lead player and, in return, he gets pure gold.

A really loud cheer greeted Nick's preshow announcement that we were about to witness a new Billy but even that was eclipsed at the final curtain as people stood and cheered their appreciation for what they had just seen.

Be advised that yet another in the long line of gold star performers is fully deserving to step into the shoes of his illustrious predecessors. And what a pair of dancing feet Ryan has to fit into those shoes. I was lucky on this occasion to pay a rare visit to the Dress Circle and had a great vantage point to fully observe these mesmerising feet in action in all the big dance numbers. I endorse everything the other reviewers have said about these. Also, in a very Angry Dance, it is fortunate that the hut these days is made of sterner stuff than in the days when Corey and Hogan used to leave it in ruins. Ryan's acting and singing was first class and he is the first Billy in a long time to aim for and hit that extra high note in "But I'll love these dark, dark hills forever".

In the Boxing scene Ryan may not have emulated Mohammad Ali/Cassius Clay but in the Dream Ballet he most certainly floated like a butterfly having first danced a perfectly synchronised floor section with Barnaby.

When you are at a debut performance it is always extra emotional and this was no exception. The entire cast rose to the occasion and, as always, pulled out all the stops in support of their new brilliant lead.

I'm not sure if Ryan's dog, Benson, was present at the theatre last night but, if he was, he will be jumping all the hedges today in celebration of his masters voice and feet.

Congratulations to Ryan on a terrific and exciting debut.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you everybody. Roll on the 27th.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Just a few more brief observations about the show, April 13th.

There was a new small boy called Harry. He was very confident and had an excellent voice. Got the impression he didn’t need a microphone to shout his lines out. There was no one at the side of the stage to remind him to come on in his grim reaper outfit and Tom had to signal to him for ages to come on – that was so cute. He played guitar with the scythe and was clearly having fun. For the purpose of the tracking of the small boys Harry has very short dark straight hair.

The kids were giving it their all. I honestly thought that Tracey Atkinson really was about to spin off the stage, it was mighty close and how Ryan didn’t end up on top of the MD I will never know, I think only the raised lip stopped him toppling into the pit when he slid up to collect the wooden blocks in Angry Dance, but he had to crumple up and hang on for a few seconds to stop himself going over.

The dancing trousers were missing in Express again, yet were mentioned (maybe in error). The stage does seem less cluttered without them. The camera is back and working fine (I might have to borrow it after my abject failure to take a decent picture at Rhys’s final curtain call).

As with any debuts there are lots of little extra moves and lines. Among my favourites were in the final farewell scene where as Debbie made towards Billy to give him a hug, he deliberately moved rapidly back to his bag to avoid her before she is told to go by her mum. It was perfectly executed and reminded me of how a 12 year old boy would honestly react when so confronted. Billy then turns to Mrs W with a broad smile but this is replaced as he sees Mrs W’s emotion at the farewell. Contrast this to Dean who last time I saw him in November was in tears at this point.

I agree with Thondra re He could be a Star. For all the shows tweeks I still feel this scene needs a major rework. It misses the emotion that the US version gets, the positioning of the cast is wrong (dad needs to be isolated for impact, not surrounded by the miners) and some of the lines are wrong. Even the Palastines line has lost some impact. It gets it right with the miners protracted silence when Tony is looking at dad about accepting the money or not.

I am back at the show today. I was reluctant to say just how good Ryan was in case the other Billy’s got upset. Needless to say that there are no bad Billy’s and whoever it is at this afternoons show I know that it will be another fantastic show, every Billy has their own strengths and every show is unique and the forum can thus meet after the show and discuss it as if it is their first.

Alex
Brad
George

Post by Brad »

So great to hear about Rhya. I can judge for myself in 2 weeks time :lol:
Cheers

Brad
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Feel totally let down - thought I was going to see a debut performance tonight but in all honesty, I must have been away from the show for months and have caught Ryan at the peak of his performance after playing Billy for months. No seriously, I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen a debut performance so absolutely BRILLIANT. I know that Ryan's reputation preceded him and that everyone involved in the show who was prepared to share anything with us about this new Billy waxed lyrical about his abilites but his performance left all these comments way behind - it was simply astounding - in every way. You will all be blown away by Ryan I have no doubt. He is clearly going to be ultra special to the musical - he must be because tonight he played Billy Elliot AS GOOD AS any other Billy that I have seen when they have been at their BEST. I am serious. But enjoy his take on the character. My view is that he played a very innocent and sensitive Billy; almost as young a Billy as he could be. Watch his expressions and note his ability to coordinate every single precise movement to the beat f the music. Watch how he uses the full length of his arms and legs to create those fine lines - watch how he uses his hands to aid the meaning and expression of what he is perfoming. Listnen to the way he articulates the words, enjoy his singing and dancing expertise and particularly his ability to Tap like a genious. Look out for this guy and focus - take your eyes off him for a minute and you will miss a treat.

Clearly, none of this would have been possible without the VISION of the casting team and the patience and expertise of Nick Evans, Damian, Lee, Chris and the whole Billy Family. What a tremendous asset you have found.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody. It looks like the VP have hit the jackpot once again :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Yeah, thanks for everyone's reviews lately. Makes me want to go to London. But since that isn't even remotely possible anytime soon, I'm sure thankful for the tour. Anyway, great reviews. This show shows no signs of slowing with the talent they keep finding.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

AJ HOLDEN wrote: I agree with Thondra re He could be a Star. For all the shows tweeks I still feel this scene needs a major rework. It misses the emotion that the US version gets
I know some of the changes to the show have met with mixed reviews from Forum members, but I do think that the version of this number as it's performed in the U.S. (and now in Toronto as well) is the best change that they've made to the show. Not sure why they haven't instituted it in London, since most of the other changes first tried in the U.S. (Born to Boogie, Angry Dance) have made their way to London now. I think the "take this and this" part does a great job of showing how the community comes together with their money for Billy's sake, and supports the line of the song "don't worry son, we'll never let you fall."
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I don't recall reading anywhere that the London version of Angry Dance has changed to match the US version.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Go home Billy wrote:
ERinVA wrote:I don't recall reading anywhere that the London version of Angry Dance has changed to match the US version.
We're quite happy with it as it is, thanks. Leave our Angry Dance alone. :twisted:

And while I'm at it, America can have 'Born to Jump Rope' back. :evil: :lol:
I'll second those proposals.

Return to “Reviews - London”