April 2011 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
thm
Miner

Re: April 2011 Reviews - London

Post by thm »

Saturday Evening 9th April

From the beginning to the end a really fantastic show! I thought "as good as it gets" in every aspect. I especially thougt that Angry Dance was not only energetic but also very precise performed by Rhys - wow, exemplaric! Everything else I wanted to mention is already said by BillyWhizz and Jacob I totally agree.

Nice pictures, Billywhizz - is that a reindeer on stage or is it Francesca :?: :lol:
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

thm wrote: Nice pictures, Billywhizz - is that a reindeer on stage or is it Francesca :?: :lol:

Cute! :lol: :lol:
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
unair
Audience Member

Post by unair »

Tuesday 12th April

Billy - Josh
Michael - Connor L.
Debbie - Emiliy W.

It was a blast of a show. Josh and Connor Lawson were amazing together and the whole ensemble was supported by a very vital audience, which was roaring with laugthers and giving the actors all the applause they deserve.
For me it´s been a small jubilee: my 15th Billy show and it couldn´t have been a better one :) (And as I read, it was Josh´s 15th Billy show as well) For me it was the second time seing Josh as Billy on stage. I´m very impressed by his interpretation, as he´s a very genuine Billy and I didn´t even doubt for a second that he´s a son of a miner. He´s really settled into the role and you could feel, how confident he´s about his charisma on stage, which is in my opinion outstanding. I loved all the small well portrayed details, for example the moonwalk bit in born to boogie, or the looks he gives the poshboy as they meet for the first time in front of the curtain. Joshs´ smiling during dream ballet was marvelous and I felt like he enjoyed every second of the show. Joshs´ mimic after Debbies `offer´ nearly brought us to tears of laughter.
Mrs Wilkinson was played by Caroline Deverill and I loved her performance and the interaction between her and Josh was a pure joy to watch. As was the performance of Connor and Josh in Express, those boys were really heaving a good time on stage and blowing the audience away! Only the giant trouser was missed yesterday :) Connors facial expression when the curtain comes down in the end was so touching and nearly made me cry. I heard a lot of sobbing from the people around me...The same with the letter scene, which was very very intense and the chemestry between Caroline und Josh is enormous. I really felt the connection between Billy and Mrs W.
Angry Dance is probably my most favorite part of the show and Josh showed us all his anger and fury, with very powerful and strong tap and a lot of shouting. Outstanding! Electricity was elegant, strong and Josh was rewarded with minutes of thrilled applause and shouts from the audience which he took very proud with a blast of a smile. Well done Josh and thanks a lot for giving us this wonderful evening at Victoria Palace! Can´t wait to see you again :)
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Wednesday 13th April 2011

Ryan/Connor K/Emily S/Harry/Hamish

I bought today's tickets last year as a treat to my family but I think it was me that got the biggest treat because in my 48 shows, this ranks right there at the top. It is staggering to believe this was a debut performance. Ryan is such a find. The team in charge of casting and preparation at the school must be brimming with pride and no doubt Ryans family and friends in the audience were even more proud.
Ryan showed no nerves. This was as accomplished as if he'd been doing this on stage for a year. Very smiley, very innocent, great mannerisms, beautiful graceful movements throughout in the ballet scenes, an explosive reworked Street Electicity that had more energy than even Fox generated. Not even phased by his microphone pack ending up around his knee throughout Solidarity. Fantastic rapport with Connor Kelly and Emily Smith. The whisper had been circulating about someone special arriving, it is absolutey true, you simply must go and see Ryan as soon as you can.

Alex
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for inaugurating the reviews of Ryan's show, Alex.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for the reviews. Keep them coming! :D
Ellen

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you unair for your terrific review of Josh who I have not been fortunate to see yet :(

Thank you AJ HOLDEN and Den for your reviews of Ryan's debut performance. It sounds like the VP has another gem. If anybody else was there last night then please post your thoughts as they will be welcome.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Thondra
Small Boy

Post by Thondra »

I can only agree with AJ and Den. An absolutely amazing show. For me the best part was his angry dance. The best angry dance I've seen so far. It made me shivering.
He was my first street Billy and so be honest I was always a bit Sceptic about a street version od electricity. But it was great. I really enjoyed it. Better than some ballet versions I've seen.

I thought yesterday twice if I should go or not (you don't get much many as an au pair and I was at rays last show...) but it was worth it. And I hope I can catch him again before I go back to Germany in 2 month.

One other point. I really enjoy Tom loran and his portrait of Tony but sometimes I miss something during he could be a star. I saw once tim funnel and he was amazing. Such a great singer. And how he sang with dad together... For me This scene was always the climax of the show. (I don't know exactly how I could explain this. My English is not god enough.) or maybe it was something between tim and Joe I don't know. I only know that the scene is not that intense and emotional anymore.

So this was my try to write a review. I hope you could understand everything :?
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you Thondra for your great review. I understood it perfectly.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thank you Thondra for your thoughts. It always requires extra effort to write in a language other than one's native tongue but, as Billy Whiz said, it was very understandable and you conveyed several great points about Ryan's first show.

Return to “Reviews - London”