April 2011 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
andrewcraig
Tony

Re: April 2011 Reviews - London

Post by andrewcraig »

patc above said

Shaun Henson has turned Audio Tape Man into a legend.

I dont know why this was deleted from the NY production. It is extremely funny.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The entire RBS audition scene is completely different from the London one, so there would not be any place for the "u-turn tape man" bit in it. For those of you who aren't familiar with that nickname, someone on the old forum coined that descriptive name for that character, along with "mincing pencil man" for the panelist who provides the pencil to Billy so that he can rewind his cassette.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

shadowchaser wrote:after the wonderful matinee show with Josh we had the Senior Billy, Dean-Charles in the evening. Just when you think a Billy has reached his peak along comes one like tonight - absolute perfection. A powerful Angry Dance as expected while Dream Ballet was shear perfection with Dean really seeming to fly culminating in a superb Electricity. B2B was exceptional with perfect skipping from Dean :-). The senior Billy and Michael (Connor Kelly) had great fun in a hilarious Express and a tender Wintre Scene. We must not forget the inimitable pouting Miss Emily Smith who stomped her way through every scene. No wonder we keep going back for more. A truely wonderful evening from a very talented cast, young and old alike.
I agree - the Thursday evening show was fantastic. One of those where many individual elements all came together to make it such a powerful and moving performance. Hot on the heels of Thursday's show in London I'm now installed in Toronto for the coming week and have my first show here this evening. It's been a beautiful day here today - and I'm really looking forward to tonight's show.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Saturday, April 9th, 2011 - evening

Billy - Rhys (last show)
Michael - Joe
Debbie - Francesca
Tall Boy - Ashley
Small Boy - ?
George - David Bardsley

Nick Evans gave a wonderful speech to start off the proceedings which was then followed by a show of the highest order.

You could see that everybody wanted to give Rhys a terrific send off and they all gave 110%.

Rhys was the true professional on a difficult night but when Francesca gave him the biggest and longest hug that I have ever seen a Billy receive from a Debbie it all got a bit too much for him. You could see that he was fighting back the tears and who can blame him. It must be a difficult night as I thnk we sometimes forget that even though he is the star in a West End show he is still only 13-years-of-age and has all the emotions that go with that. You should be proud of yourself Rhys as you were nothing short of fantastic. Rhys has left the show at the top of his game. His acting, singing and dancing are all faultless and I wish him well in his future endeavours. I hope he now enjoys a well deserved holiday.

At the scene where dad and Billy are sat down just before Electricity I could see cast members gathering in the wings to watch his final performance and they all gave a big cheer and round of applause at the end. It just shows what a big, close family all the cast members are.

I'm writing this just before I go and catch my train home so it is very short and for that I apologise. Here are a few photos as well to be going on with before the Forum Scribes post their reviews.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

Billy Whiz wrote:Saturday, April 9th, 2011 - evening

Billy - Rhys (last show)
Michael - Joe
Debbie - Francesca
Tall Boy - Ashley
Small Boy - ?
George - David Bardsley
Small boy had curly blond hair so with my spotters chart I reckon it was Thomas Berry.

I'll miss Rhys Electricity something bad - Francesca had kept her family guessing all day as to whether she would hug Rhys or not - some hug :D
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I must also add that when Rhys's mum very kindly brought him out for photos after the show it was terrible for the poor lad. It was like a rugby scrum. I understand people want to take photos - like me - and get autographs, but once they have them I wish they would move away to let the people behind do the same. This is not a criticism of Forum members - just a general moan. In the end Rhys went back inside and people were left disappointed but if I was Rhys I would have done exactly the same thing.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

As usual, great photos - thanks David. ;)

Rich
(See ya in a month!)
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

I must also add that when Rhys's mum very kindly brought him out for photos after the show it was terrible for the poor lad. It was like a rugby scrum. I understand people want to take photos - like me - and get autographs, but once they have them I wish they would move away to let the people behind do the same. This is not a criticism of Forum members - just a general moan. In the end Rhys went back inside and people were left disappointed but if I was Rhys I would have done exactly the same thing.
I absolutely agree with Billy Whiz. There was a lot of barging by people with cameras and items of memorabilia that they wanted him to sign. Some of them seemed to be demanding that they be photographed with him. I had no problems with the ballet girls it was the adults who were the culprits. Maybe barriers would be one solution? Otherwise the Billys would be best advised to stay inside the theatre. Incidentally Rhys was only wearing a t shirt and he was shivering with the cold.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Saturday April 9th eve

Rhys' last night.

A few thoughts to add to Billy Whiz' review and lovely photos. Nick Evans gave a most eloquent speech before the start of proceedings. He had evidently given it a lot of thought and it was not at all formulaic. Moreover, he spoke without notes. Rhys had come into BETM eighteen months ago as a talented dancer and gone on to develop his singing and acting skills to a very high level. Nick particularly thanked Rhys' mum, Jo-anne for releasing her son into the care of BETM. Rhys' dance teacher from Centrepointe, Caroline Wright, was also thanked and I gather that she was in the audience along with very many members of Rhys' family. Nick knows the kids in the Show better than anyone and his tributes to departing Billys are beautifully constructed. The suit cleans up pretty well too :D

All last nights are emotional and this one was no exception. The audience were right behind him particularly his family and the other Billys who were sitting in the rear stalls. His entrance in the first scene was greeted with applause and this was repeated with increasing tempo throughout the evening culminating with a prolonged standing ovation for Electricity. It is difficult to convey in words the intensity of emotion that suffused the theatre. Rhys himself was in tears at several points but continued to perform with the charisma that has become so distinctive. Many people have written about the qualities of his characterisation of Billy Elliot, his vulnerability, his balletic style of dancing, his thoughtful and subtle interpretation of the role and each aspect was there again last night. A slight figure on stage, he filled the theatre with his presence and even in the back row of the GC his emotions would have been indelibly felt.

Billy Whiz has mentioned Francesca's mega hug in the farewell scene. This drew much applause and the odd wolf whistle from the audience who by now were on fire. Rhys' goodbye kiss to Michael was accompanied by a gentle squeeze of Michael's hand on the handlebar of his bike..........and then he was gone for ever :cry:

There's nothing more to say really.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Nicely put Jacob.

Return to “Reviews - London”