April 2011 Reviews - NYC

angelenroute
Billy

Re: April 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by angelenroute »

mrmikerocks wrote:
shimmyshimmy wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
Yeah, that gets some laughs in London but not everybody gets it for sure.
You mean that we're supposed to think that George doesn't know that they're the same person? It never occurred to me to think that :roll:
That's how interpreted it when i saw it on tour in Minneapolis.
I loved this bit on the Tour as well (in Charlotte). I guess if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but I and others loved it in Charlotte.

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Portlanders seemed to get it too because it got a lot of laughs. I missed it the first time, but my brother got it and quickly explained it to me.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

Tuesday April 19

Billy Jacob
Michael Cameron
Small boy Alex
Tall boy Ben

My first chance to see Cameron Clifford and along with a packed house of a very lively patrons made for an enjoyable evening.
Jacob Clemente reminds me of a Maytag washing machine.......solid reliable performance everytime I have seen him.....Jacob just seems to glide right through the show with his excellent acting and solid work with his ballet and dance. Jacob is getting a bit taller, and this makes his dancing look all the better. Emily Skinner just flat out rocks, she turns the dial up with Shine for sure, the crowd one can tell gets anxious for more when this number ends. I am a huge fan of Emily, she has that Broadway pzzaaazzz for sure, what a great job she does. This being the first chance I have had to see Cameron I was quite anxious to see his work. Cameron playing along side Jacob creates a pretty big difference in height, but I see nothing that disturbs the flow or look of the show as Cameron for sure holds his own in this role in the early part of his run at BETM. Cameron has a very different way of speaking his lines that stood out right away to me. Cameron is very distinct and a little slower in the presentation of his speech....which to me works. He was very funny in the second half of the show with his tutu bit and nutcracker line. The crowd for sure really loved him. I must tell everyone that Jacob did something a bit different and something that really made me happy to see. I have seen Jacob as Billy now eight times, and for the first time at the end of Electricity he stepped forward and broke out of character for a minute or two and just smiled with that winning smile he has and soaked in all of the VERY loud applause. He looked everywhere in the Imperial and smiled and smiled. The patrons just warmed even more to him after that. I love when the Billy's or the Michael's do this....it is a connection moment that makes live performances magical. Stephen Dauldry was at this show and was all smiles afterwards as I am sure he was most pleased with Jacob's excellent work that evening. I must end in saying (promoting) Ben Cook again turns in his own little show of brilliant ability. Ben Cook for one is someone that you can tell LOVES working on stage. Ben gives you a from the HEART job everytime I have seen him, I sure hope that he will progress with this show and be allowed to give the fans of BETM a larger dose of his EXCELLENT talent. BETM is rocking and very healthy......
inspired
Tall Boy

Post by inspired »

I have seen Jacob as Billy now eight times, and for the first time at the end of Electricity he stepped forward and broke out of character for a minute or two and just smiled with that winning smile he has and soaked in all of the VERY loud applause. He looked everywhere in the Imperial and smiled and smiled. The patrons just warmed even more to him after that. I love when the Billy's or the Michael's do this.
Cincinnati, I couldn't agree more with your comments about Jacob's extended applause reaction/smile. Here were comments from my review in February, noting the same exact thing:

The highlight for me though was Jacob’s Electricity. He just nailed it so completely... The buildup was palpable, and even before the pirouettes at the end, the audience was clapping and cheering. He got a huge reaction that lasted as long as any I’ve seen, proudly smiling all throughout his final pose. Then he dropped the pose, was just himself smiling at us, and the applause still went on! What a cool moment.
28 shows, 17 Billys, 11 cities
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

I can't help but add to those comments...even suggested in reviews of mine in the past, that I always felt the audience's adulation for Billy's performances were unnecessarily cut short, particularly after "Electricity" and at his curtain call. It simply delights me know end to be able to join in enthusiastic applause for Billy, and particularly when they stay in pose, extending their engaging and appreciative smiles to their appreciative audience. Too frequently, so many I've seen quickly move on to their next assignment, and there I am feeling a bit short changed. I sense it amongst the audience, as well. The Chicago ensemble I felt was disappointing in that regard. I shall be seeing them again for four times in Toronto, [5/13-5/15] and will be interested in how they may react after all this time. I shall never forget seeing both Jacob in NYC and Rhys in London with Broad exuberant smiles on their faces just sucking up all the adulation granted them. It was most satisfying from my point of view, and I felt fulfilled in sharing with them the warmth they felt regarding their performances.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

mrmikerocks wrote:
shimmyshimmy wrote:In the boxing scene, George drags Michael across the stage by the foot, in Toronto. In NY, he lifts him up and carries him. In Toronto, George says "You are Cassius Clay and you are Mohammed Ali." I have no idea why. It doesn't get a laugh. The audience (including me) doesn't get it.
I think its supposed to funny because Cassius Clay and Mohammed Ali are the same person.
Muhammad Ali not Mohammad......is the correct spelling....and I agree that it's funny because they are the same person.....because George the boxing coach would be puzzled by American boxers names ..... he would only know want to talk about the British boxers of the time frame of the show...like the great Ken Buchanan or Lloyd Honeyghan.....
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

On the U.S. tour, it was Giuseppe Bausilio who tended to bask in the limelight longer than the others, who seemed to move on rather quickly.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

I agree....he did the same thing in Chicago........Joseph in NYC is the master at this.....he really plays the crowd.....
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

cws8998 wrote:I can't help but add to those comments...even suggested in reviews of mine in the past, that I always felt the audience's adulation for Billy's performances were unnecessarily cut short, particularly after "Electricity" and at his curtain call. It simply delights me know end to be able to join in enthusiastic applause for Billy, and particularly when they stay in pose, extending their engaging and appreciative smiles to their appreciative audience. Too frequently, so many I've seen quickly move on to their next assignment, and there I am feeling a bit short changed. I sense it amongst the audience, as well. The Chicago ensemble I felt was disappointing in that regard. I shall be seeing them again for four times in Toronto, [5/13-5/15] and will be interested in how they may react after all this time. I shall never forget seeing both Jacob in NYC and Rhys in London with Broad exuberant smiles on their faces just sucking up all the adulation granted them. It was most satisfying from my point of view, and I felt fulfilled in sharing with them the warmth they felt regarding their performances.
Forgive me for continuing this slightly out of topic conversation, but I would also like to add that in most of the London shows I've seen (30 if I'm not mistaken) the Billys after Electricity hold their pose but at the same time react to the audiences applause by giving a huge smile that only makes the audiences cheers louder and more enthusiastic. I and everyone else I know absolutelly love this - completely honest - reaction. I get it that it's a "serious" show with professional actors but we must always remember that these are 12-13 year old kids performing what in my opinion is one of the toughest, if not the toughest parts out there in musical theatre. They have every right to slip out of caracter and show their satisfaction for what they've just acomplished -the magnificent Electricity - and the fact that the audiences loved it. And I will never forget the smile on everyone of the boys faces and especially the broad smiles and looks of amazement that Rhys usually had (oh I'll miss that boy...). I for one want the boys to enjoy what their hard work and sacrifices have achieved and if that means slipping out of caracter for a few seconds during the show I have no objections :) ;)
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I agree.

I like it when they break character for a moment to soak up the adulation and react with a big grin.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”