Post by Muppet »

Saturday 8th May: Evening

Billy: Ryan Collinson
Michael: Joe Massey
Debbie: Emily Smith

Mrs Wilkinson: Genevieve Lemon
Dad: Martin Marquez
Tony: Tom Lorcan

After almost twelve months since seeing the show last, I was certainly more than due another visit. So when I heard the lad who lives just down the road from me finally made it through training, I was very keen to support our local star! As you can imagine there was a greater sense of nervousness and anticipation than usual when I looked at the cast list in the lobby when I arrived....but this soon turned to relief and delight!

It was clearly a night when the North-Western boys were taking the helm, as he was joined by young Joe Massey too.

In the past I wrote many gushing reviews of performances and although I want to encourage my local lad, I want to be unbiased, constructive and objective in my thoughts. So here goes....

Ryan was AWESOME! No, really! Older forum members will know that I set MY ‘Billy’ standard (rightly or wrongly) by the first chap I saw in May 2006 – our first American Billy - Colin Bates. So, those who know me, know that in my opinion, Colin set the ‘Billy’ bar EXTREMELY high! When I first caught a glimpse of Ryan in my local paper early last year I spotted the physical likeness then between the two, but there was no way anyone could quite match the level of combined ‘triple-threat’ artistic excellence in my eyes of CB! (I am being quite honest here and I am aware some will disagree, which is why I stress it’s in my opinion!). Ryan, however, managed to surprise me. His standard of acting, singing and dancing really is as superb as other forum members have stated in their reviews – especially when you discover his lack of formal training, experience - and the fact he’s only been in the show less than a month. Ryan clearly is a ‘natural’ performer and ‘showman’, the latter title often attributed to CB. He had a level of ‘alertness’, spontaneity, expression and comic timing which even seasoned adult West End performers don’t seem to all have acquired. Some have commented already on Ryan’s unique individual touches which he has introduced and this goes to show he wants to stamp his own identity on ‘Billy’ too. Yes, Colin & Ryan have much in common, but if Colin’s difference was his charisma, then with Ryan it is his ‘cheekiness’. Not a trait I have noticed quite as strong in any other Billy up until now. This is not a bad ‘cheekiness’, it’s a charming, ‘rascal’ like cheekiness which endears the audience towards him along with that huge smile that you see in his profile picture - and he frequently uses to his advantage!

I have seem a fair few adaptations of ‘Electricity’ over the years too and Ryan does bring a freshness to the scene with his strong streetdance and gymnastic style. ‘Showman’ Ryan clearly, and quite deservingly enjoyed the audiences praise. After all, why shouldn’t he? He performed damn hard for it! Which brings me to another point, Ryan’s complete focus and attention were evident throughout. The kid was pouring with sweat throughout - because of all the effort he was putting into every scene.

So ‘Cheeky’ Billy has certainly made a big initial impression. The rapport between him and the cast is strong and perhaps more importantly - he well and truly won the audience over too.
I’m not sure whether I should highlight the next point! During his intensely powerful and energetic ‘Angry Dance’, I ‘thought’ I heard what is a Liverpool ‘Scouse’ term being directed towards the riot police..... “Come ‘ed!”. This is short for ‘come ahead’ meaning, ‘come on then!’. I’m sure it doesn’t matter really if he did use it, but it made me chuckle when that’s what it sounded like to me!

So there we go, I never imagined I’d see the day a ‘Billy’ would come from exactly the same road I lived on up until last year...and is still just around the corner from where I am now! Well done Ryan, you have proven once again that this town really does produce top quality stuff...and of that ‘stuff’...you’re right up there with the best!!

So briefly onto one or two others!

Joe Massey was a charming, charismatic little chap who warmed the audience towards him from word go. The applause during the finale showed the affection and level of competence he had achieved. I loved the changes to ‘Express’ since I last saw the show and it had definitely improved. It’s rare for me to get really emotional during the show nowadays, having seen so many performances(!), but Joe did it to me right at the end. As the curtain lowered and his sad face filled with tears, it brought a climax to a show which hasn’t been matched before in my knowledge, unless it was a cast change night. Well done Joe!

I’ve seen some good ‘Mrs Wilkinson’s’ over the years too .... Haydn...Sally...Kate - to name a few,...but none so ‘unique’ as that of Genevieve Lemon! She seemed a little ‘rougher’, a little less ‘sophisticated’....and I loved it!

Diane Langton brought some changes to ‘Grandma’ that I had not seen before either. Ann was great and legendary, but I felt the character needed ‘freshening’ up (maybe I’m speaking selfishly as a regular who needed some change?) and Diane did just that.

I also liked Chris McGlade as George. The opening to Act 2 felt more spontaneous, and unpredictable, with a spot of ad-libbing. Maybe it isn’t - I don’t know, but it certainly felt it.

Martin Marquez as ‘Dad’ delivered possibly the most amusing scene between him and the Glaswegian RBS ballet dancer I have experienced. Lots of belly laughs!

In conclusion:

Overall, I would say that the guy sitting behind me summed the whole show up for us all at the end – “Wow, wow, wow, WOW!”.

After 12 months ‘rehabillytation’....has Ryan and all the ‘newish’ changes re-invigorated my enthusiasm for this show? Quite possibly! (Better not tell my bank manager though!).

Keep up the great work cast and crew - the show I feel is in very safe hands!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: May 2011 Reviews - London

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for an excellent review, Muppet. I can imagine the thrill of seeing a kid from right around the corner up there on that stage. It must have been a very exciting night for you. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

ERinVA wrote:Thanks for an excellent review, Muppet. I can imagine the thrill of seeing a kid from right around the corner up there on that stage. It must have been a very exciting night for you. :D
Thank you Ellen. It certainly was a great night!

Back to the good 'ole days! :D
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Great review indeed! Thank you!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Sweet you got the tour version lol...works doesn't it?:)
gee
Small Boy

Post by gee »

Great birthday show by all the cast, well done Dean and all. Love the entrance by Dean at start of letter scene, coming in via the back door rather than on the bed, i thought that worked better, but my highlight of the evening was small boy Aaron coming on at the end with the birthday cake, that was so sweet, Happy Birthday Billy, lets hope for many more years of the best west end musical.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

An absolutely wonderful show by the whole cast last night. Well done to everybody.

I have to agree with gee. I think the entrance from the back door at The Letter scene is great and actually makes more sense.

Here are a few photos to be going on with.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

That sounds like a lot of fun. :D Thanks for sharing.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
Pilot
Audience Member

Post by Pilot »

SIXTH BIRTHDAY SHOW

:D A really enjoyable special evening! All the cast were fantastic. Special mention for Dean for providing a flawless performance and for Reece who played Michael so well.

:lol: Apologies to Chris McGlade - having been on the receiving end in B15 (tell your face), my group decided to have a bit of fun back. So when he reached the entirely fictional 'Hadley Hall Hamateur Hoperatic Society' bit, we, from the relative safety of the front row of the dress circle, gave a cheer indicating our membership of said group. It did seem to, shall we say, surprise Chris a little. Although he still had the last word!

Congratulations to small boy Aaron who very....carefully, sucessfully carried the birthday cake over to former small boy Dean.

Happy Birthday Billy! Here's to the Seventh!

Return to “Reviews - London”