Introducing Family and Friends to Billy Elliot The Musical

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Introducing Family and Friends to Billy Elliot The Musical

Post by ERinVA »

The playbill in NY and on tour has a small glossary of Geordie terms. The souvenir programs that you buy, even in London, have a more extensive one. But the glossary is English to English; it doesn't translate into other languages.

One term that is not in the glossary, so far as I know, is "airing cupboard." It took me some time to find out that it means "linen closet." But in the N. American productions, this has been turned into "laundry basket."
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

The production staff in North America wanted to keep the show British and Geordie, but they realized that the audience missed much of the dialog. They had to modify the accent and the terminology for the public to understand. But there are still too many references that are not understood.

If anyone has the time to write a list of words or objects that would confuse non-Geordie listeners, we could post it here and use our various talents to translate it into common languages.
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

ERinVA wrote:The playbill in NY and on tour has a small glossary of Geordie terms.
They took out the program glossary for the tour stop in the Denver. I think it needs to be in there as I have constantly been asked about unfamiliar phrases and words. Here is the Denver program again: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/c46 ... 467c2f9/22
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

That's too bad. The audience members really do need at least some help with terms, although many meanings can be deduced from context.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

accessmenj wrote:The production staff in North America wanted to keep the show British and Geordie, but they realized that the audience missed much of the dialog. They had to modify the accent and the terminology for the public to understand. But there are still too many references that are not understood.

If anyone has the time to write a list of words or objects that would confuse non-Geordie listeners, we could post it here and use our various talents to translate it into common languages.
Can you think of any examples now of words which need 'translating?' I'll do my best to interpret. Dancingboy.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

ERinVA wrote:That's too bad. The audience members really do need at least some help with terms, although many meanings can be deduced from context.
I can't help but wonder if American plays need translations for UK audiences to understand or is this just a one way thing?

I can see that things like Wayne Sleep, Cindy Dolls and Camberwick Green are very UK specific (and as I have said before they have zero meaning to under 35 y.o. British people too) but surely it's possible to deduce other words and phrases from their context?

(lights touchpaper and stands back)
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Most of the time it is possible to figure out the meaning of a word from it's context.
But the show continues while the audience member is thinking about what was just said, or even asking a friend, "What did he just say?"

I give lectures on technical subjects, and I know that if I do not define every term that I use, then the audience misses everything after my using the undefined word. Confusing an audience member is especially bad on the first viewing of the show. So, because we have given meaning to terms that confused us in BETM, does not mean that these words do not continue to confuse first-time viewers.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

shimmyshimmy wrote:Raise whippets and grow leeks? Can't say I quite understand the context of that.
Race whippets (which is a breed of dog that runs fast, smaller than greyhounds). Leeks are a vegetable (I'm sure you know that) and traditionally they are grown to be entered in to competitions, where judges award prizes to the biggest and best. So, there are no country fairs in the US where people enter competitions for the best veg/flowers/cake/jams? Interesting.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

accessmenj wrote:Most of the time it is possible to figure out the meaning of a word from it's context.
But the show continues while the audience member is thinking about what was just said, or even asking a friend, "What did he just say?"

I give lectures on technical subjects, and I know that if I do not define every term that I use, then the audience misses everything after my using the undefined word. Confusing an audience member is especially bad on the first viewing of the show. So, because we have given meaning to terms that confused us in BETM, does not mean that these words do not continue to confuse first-time viewers.

Well, I can see that in a technical setting being clearly understood is essential but I'm not sure you can do the same for a three hour stage show. The glossary would be so big (as seemingly everything would need translating in to American) that nobody could read it and remember it anyway.

Seems the biggest stumbling block is still the accent though; a great many of people obviously struggle with the variety of British accents. On that subject could I ask a question? On the original cast recording can none Brits pick out when Liam slips out of his Geordie accent and speaks in his Yorkshire accent or does it all sound the same?
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

shimmyshimmy wrote:Raise whippets and grow leeks? Can't say I quite understand the context of that.
I vaugly understood that line but even if I didn't I could translate it as" do something low brow with his life" Wayne Sleep and Cindy doll at least work somewhat to a non Brit but Camberwick Green absolutely means nothing and has no context you can grap onto to anyone outside of the UK, I thought they were talking about a sports stadium, lord was I wrong. Personally I think they need to leave in the ALL the minor regionalisms for the flavor and just change the major cultural references that would kill a joke here if said.

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”