Toronto travel information

Questions about tickets, seating and accessibility
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Toronto travel information

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Given that a number of fans might not be experienced with traveling to Canada, I thought it might be good to have a tread about topics related to traveling other than hotels, dining, and the theatre itself.
:/
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Toronto travel information

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Credit card users, beware of the "foreign transaction fee". :x

It used to be that when traveling to another country you could get the best exchange rate simply by charging purchases to your credit card. The banks would give you the going exchange rate. This was a better deal instead of going to those currency exchange booths where they give you a less favorable rate plus charge a transaction fee.

In the past couple of years the banks and credit card companies have now started to charge a "foreign transaction fee" for all purchase outside your home country. This is usually 3%.

After being stung with this fee more than I would like on my February trip, I ended up paying cash for most purchases during my April trip. To get the Canadian cash I went to an ATM at an HSBC, which is my bank and has branches all over. If your bank does not have branches in Toronto you might want to check what it would cost to make withdrawals at other banks' ATMs.
-Chris
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Did you not also pay a foreign transaction fee for using the ATM?

This is something I do when I travel to London. I use my ATM card and get cash for several days at a time. I always have to pay a foreign transaction fee (plus a fee for using an ATM that is not on my bank), but that is better than paying an FTF on numerous credit card purchases.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for starting this thread CJ as I have a couple of questions and didn't know where to post them.

1. What is the best way to get to the Bond Place Hotel from the airport

2. This may seem like a stupid question but is it best to use Canadian Dollars or can you use US ones?
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Looks like the Airport Express bus stops right at the hotel, and the stops are regular stops, unlike the shuttles in NY that go to whichever hotels the riders request.

http://www.torontoairportexpress.com/

http://www.torontoairportexpress.com/pd ... ss-Map.pdf
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

You would not have interest when using a debit card (ATM card) in London, or anywhere else for that matter. That would only happen if you used a credit card in the ATM machine. If you use a credit card directly for a purchase, you will also be charged interest. Of course, if you do not carry a balance on your credit card, you won't pay any interest. I just checked my statement from my recent trip, and I was charged an international service fee [foreign transaction fee] and a fee for withdrawing cash on a machine not belonging to my bank, which is what I said in my post above. This is one difference between using machines instead and taking cash or travelers checks to a currency exchange or bank, where you are charged an exchange fee and have to pay attention to their opening hours. The exchange rates are competitive, and the machines are much more convenient, to say the least. If you plan ahead for how much cash you want to withdraw, they work very well. They do not work well if you are getting a little bit of cash every day. But you are going to pay the fees either way, at a bank or at a machine.
Ellen

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Billy Whiz wrote:Thanks for starting this thread CJ as I have a couple of questions and didn't know where to post them.

1. What is the best way to get to the Bond Place Hotel from the airport

2. This may seem like a stupid question but is it best to use Canadian Dollars or can you use US ones?
I think Rich B found a shuttle from the airport either to Eaton Center or Bond Place.

Many of the stores and restaurants are now taking US dollars at face value, although officially the Canadian dollar is worth about 4% more than US currently.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, if you used a credit card in a cash machine, it would be treated as a cash advance. I suppose cash advances accrue interest differently from purchases. I am the opposite of you, in that I have never used a credit card for cash from a machine, only my debit card. When you use a debit card at a machine, it simply withdraws cash from your checking account. You do pay the fees I mentioned, but there is no interest.
Ellen

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Time for another travel related topic - cell phones (or mobile phones to the Eurpoeans :lol: ).

The US carriers do not reach into Canada, except right at the border. This means calls from your cell phone may be charged for both international roaming and international long distance rates. Sprint has a "Canadian roaming" option. With this feature calls made in Canada are charged at 20 cents/minute, as opposed to 59 cents without the feature. I have found this to be a very good deal. It costs $2.99/month, but is prorated for the time you have the feature activated. You can turn it on before you leave for Canada, and turn it off when you get home. I believe other carriers have similar options, but I don't know what they call them.

Texting: text messages can be sent and received in Canada, and don't require any special Canadian roaming option to use (for US users). They work fine, with no extra charge. I believe this is because they go across a lower level SMS communication.

Data: If your phone uses data (especially smart phones) you will probably want to disable this. Check with your carrier first. Some do not have international data plans, and others charge a very high rate. I have one naive friend who spent a week in Canada last year and received $1500 phone bill upon his return. :shock:

Return to “Ticketing & Theatre information - Toronto”