July 2011 Reviews - London

Post by dancingboy »

A review for Wednesday 6 July

A technical hitch tonight at the VPT
No music for Ryan for the Dream Ballet
The audience applauded when the show restarted
Ryan was unphased, not downhearted
He danced to perfection throughout the show
And deserved his ovation when taking his bow.

It's hard to believe the age of the boys
As they play their Billy with such poise
I'm hooked on the show,how can you tell
Because I'm going again on Friday as well.

dancingboy.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: July 2011 Reviews - London

Post by porschesrule »

Very creative, dancingboy. Well done! :)
PaulWilly
Ballet Girl

Post by PaulWilly »

Yes, really great little poem! Congrats! 8-) :D

Just why didn't you put it in the already existing "July 2011 Reviews - London" thread in the "Reviews - London" section ;):
http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... =10&t=2877
“It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I am merging this thread with the existing thread now.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 7th July

Josh/Joe/Emily Smith

There is no danger of BETM going pearshaped just because it is missing some prominent cast at the moment. There was a goodly number of missing faces today but onstage the alternates (I never use the word "understudy" as it conveys negative vibes) put on another fantastic show to glow in, every last one of 'em. Leading and gluing together this group of talented people was Super-Josh in what was a Billy performance to drool over. Let's get to the facts.

Tony: Stevie Hutchinson
George: David Bardsley
Grandma: Lucinda Collins
Dead Mum: Dawn Buckland
Big Davy: Craig Armstrong

All brilliant, top quality performances. Even new Tall Boy, Oliver, got in on the act.

I'll let you guess who the missing faces were.

This plus an extra cherry on the cake - Shaun Henson now has a rival for Audio Tape Man in Kieran Jae whose brief cameo had everyone rocking with laughter. Superb.

It was Craig's turn to "eat that" against Grandma's advice. Mama's blueberry pie it was not.

Having not seen Joe in 16 shows it was great to see the little genius cycle his merry way out through the door wearing that mischievous/impish smile. He must be the apple of his parent's eyes in that mode.

"Take me up" may only be short and sweet but I could watch it all day especially with the gorgeous piano arrangements that accompany it. Little Joe Small Boy was in great form and prior to the show he must have wondered how he has become so famous having been "meeted and greeted" in the street by at least two sets of Thursday regulars on his way to the theatre.

Josh only started in late February (I was there on that great night) but it is fascinating and absorbing to watch how he has developed his superbly paced transition from reluctant boxing boy to enthusiastic ballet boy, from his first tentative spins across the stage to Mrs W to the powerful spins at the end of Solidarity. The first whoops of awe and appreciation from the large group of young audience members present started at this point. You sensed we were on to something special and we were.

The following grapes of wrath scene was gripping. Martin has raised his performance several notches over the past few months and from the closeness of Row B the row between him and Josh on the edge of the stage was staggeringly real. Josh perfectly captured the expression and feelings of a boy who has just been called a fruit by his Dad in front of a gaggle of girls. The expression of disbelief and bemusement on Genevieve's face at this moment was priceless. I love that moment in the show when Billy gets his own back and insults his Dad. Most times you hear the audience gasp in astonishment. Then there is an absolute silence as they wait in momentary suspense to see what can possibly happen next.

I was really looking forward to Expressing and, as ever, it went down a treat with Joe and Josh obviously enjoying their moment of light relief after the drama of the previous scenes. A joy to see such lovely smiles from both of them and this followed by even louder whoops and cheers from the audience as Joe turned out the lights. It was a peach of a scene.

Born to Boogie went like clockwork with Kevin Patricks getting all the laughs as well as applause for those splits..ouch!

I think most of us agreed at the interval that this was Josh's best and most Angry Dance we had seen so far. The musicians under the stage must have thought there was a thundering thunderstorm going on above their heads. The riot squad hadn't a prayer.

I must mention here Emily Smith as Debbie. She is perfect for and really gets her teeth into this role and is certainly not peaches and cream. More like crab apple, if you ask me.

The Dream Ballet must be one of the most difficult scenes to do and the co-ordination between Billy and Older Billy requires split-second timing. As well as that the physical nature of the dance is mighty. Barnaby and Sergio, who have the plum jobs in this one, must have almighty strength in their arms when you consider some of the moves. The strength to catch Billy when he dives into their arms and the subsequent change of position in mid-air. The 360 degree "twisting around" of Billy off the ground plus all the other lifting and swinging up to and including the twirl up to the ceiling. I wonder how long it takes a new Billy in rehearsal to relax and entrust himself completely to Older Billy as he must. I wonder how many times a week they rehearse it to get it as good as we got it this afternoon with Barnaby and Josh. It is such a magical scene.

It is in "He could be a star" that Martin Marquez has been delivering some stunning stuff recently with both Tom and Stevie. This is now a really extra powerful and moving scene as father and eldest son battle it out at the pit gates. The physical struggle between them has intensified greatly and the resultant coming together is all the more emotional for it. The generosity of the miners and the Scab, the acceptance, however reluctant, by all that letting Billy keep the money is the way to go, the despair of Tony about the mine, the community and family - all human life is there. There is a huge sense of relief as the safety curtain comes down. Great theatre.

I pause here to mention Tim Funnell. A man of many parts in the show for a long time his current portrayal of the Scab and Posh Dad is brilliant. Small roles you might say but you need someone with class to do 'em and Tim is your man.

The other scene that has been recently pumped up by Martin is the Dad/Ballet Dancer scene. This is just so funny as it stands at present and together with Caroline's RBS receptionist's hilarious routine this part of the show is better than ever.

Which brings me nicely to Electricity. I have a dilemma here. At the end of every Electricity I always want to jump up and give Billy a standing ovation for what I have just seen. The problem is that I also feel that standing up is depriving the patrons sitting behind me of the view of Billy's supreme triumphant moment and the smiles that usually follow. Consequently, I generally don't stand except on special occasions like the birthday shows, first and last nights. At this afternoon's show there was virtually two rows of enthralled youngsters sitting behind and, much as I wanted to stand for Josh's incredible and probably best-ever Electricity, I didn't. I wanted all these youngsters to see what happens when a boy of roughly their age adds dedication and hard work to extraordinary talent. I can't recall a longer session of applause after an Electricity. To put it succinctly, the crowd went bananas. It went on for absolutely ages and good ol' Josh lapped it up, every second of it with a smile that would have melted the Rock of Gibraltar. It was another of those golden, golden moments we get at Billy.

Whilst on the subject of Electricity can someone enlighten me on a part of the music in the dance. About halfway through the ballet version there is a sound like "two coconuts being banged together" with an accompanying echo. I have never been able to work out what these instruments actually are. Any advice on this one?

Joe's poignant goodbye to Billy at final curtain as usual left me drained and glad of the darkened auditorium.

There are no raspberries in this show and the exuberant and "absolutely necessary" finale was cheered to the rafters by a rapturous audience with a very special cheer reserved for the wonderful Lucinda.

Looking forward as eagerly as ever to my next dates at the "Palace of Dreams".

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

That was an excellent read.Thank you so much for a very detailed review and I can't wait to be at the VPT tonight for another show. This will be my fifth visit in the last eight days. I could not agree more with your comments about the changes in personnel, it makes absolutely no difference to the show.They all play their parts admirably. I've said before that all four Billy's are on top form at present and no matter who is performing you will see a great show.

I normally get a seat in the Dress Circle,but on a couple of occasions I have sat in the stalls and it is true that you get a slightly different perspective from there. You catch the banter that goes on between Billy and Michael during 'Expressing yourself',especially when they are trying to beat each other to put their tap shoes on and being closer to the action you are able to see more of the facial expressions.

One point I disagree on- if you feel that a performance merits a standing ovation then don't worry about anyone else just do it!! In the Dress Circle I am often the first person to stand up. ''Just be yourself''.

''See ya Michael''.

dancingboy.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Hi
Thanks Pat you are the Master of reviews!! you've made it easy for me this morning. From little boy Joe climbing on to the stage we had 3 hours of shear delight on Thursday afternoon.
Pats review say it all, I think B2B was one of the best I've seen, Genevieve, Kevin & Josh we spot on. It was along time ago also since I'd last seen Joe Massey he always, as we say up here, looks a larttle hound, full of fun. Martins portrayal of Dad gets better and better, I really love his expressions, in front of the fire curtain, with posh dad and the ballet dancer.
Well as for Josh, the King of Rochester, he so much reminds me of Brad Wilson, you were just outstanding "throughout", Pat review says it all, wished your parents had been there, they would have been so proud. For me it was the longest ovation for Electricity I've seen, so throughly deserved "Well Done" great smile again. So Thanks again, all the cast, for a great afternoon! See you all again on the 21st July.
By the way the Lee Hall Opera "Beached" now goes ahead in my home town Bridlington on the 15th & 16thJuly. Should be a sell out now! Anyone interested the phone and E.mail numbers are 01262 673223 -- Spasales@eastriding.gov.uk.

Barry

My corny Joke - Barry breaks down on the M4 so he flags his mate Pat down, he says I've got 6 monkeys in the back of my car, I'll give you £100 if you'll take them in your car to Bristol Zoo, Pat agrees.2 hours later Barry sees Pat comming up the opposite side of the motorway with the monkeys still in the back. Barry shouts , I told you to take them to the zoo, Pat says, yes I did but I had £30 left so I'm going to take them to the Pictures now!
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Great joke Barry.Here's another one. Two mates (I'll call them Pat and Barry,if I may) are on holiday,doing a bit of diving off the coast.One evening they go the local pub for a drink.As they get there Barry realises he has forgotten his wallet,so he asks Pat to buy the drinks and says he'll pay him back later. Next day Barry does some diving and comes across a floundering octopus like animal on the sea bed.So he does the decent thing and brings it to the surface after which he starts to give it the kiss of life. Pat arrives when thinks start to look better and Barry says to him '' There you are ,there's the sick squid I owe you'' (Boom Boom).

dancingboy.

PS Can't wait to get to the show tonight.I'll put a review on the forum tomorrow. Incidentally,agree with your comments about Martin.
James.R
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by James.R »

The ongoing discussion about "standing" ovations during the show has been moved to its own thread so the debate can continue - either standing or seated......

http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... 134#p57134

Return to “Reviews - London”