August 2011 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
dancingboy
Billy

Re: August 2011 Reviews - London

Post by dancingboy »

Thursday 18 August

Great to see Josh Baker on good form tonight. His ever-smiling face lit up the stage and the audience certainly appreciated his excellent dancing and he very much warranted the standing ovation he received at the end of the show. I am sure that Josh knows some of the regular fans in the front rows and he certainly gave us a performance to remember. Josh sparkled right from the start of the show and even seemed to become somewhat emotional during The Letter scene. The thing that got to me was that Josh's enthusiasm and obvious enjoyment at what he was doing permeated through to the audience.

No show,of course,is just about 'a bairn who wants to dance', and the main cast plus the ensemble should also be applauded for yet another great night's entertainment.

So, 'Well Done' to Josh and all the cast.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY 18th AUGUST MATINEE 2-30pm

BILLY - ADAM, MICHAEL - JOE, DEBBIE - EMILY WILLIAMS
DAD - DAVID BARDSLEY
GRANDMA - GILLIAN ELISA
GEORGE - CRAIG ARMSTRONG

Well! another first time for me, pleased to see Adam, to me he passed with "Flying Colours", Yea, Stars & Stripes, why not! A great credit to the lad from the other side of the pond, not a sign of his accent, thats not easy for an adult let along a youngster, his diction was loud and clear, the whole audience so enjoyed his performance, their was some very proud Amercians in the audience also.
It must of been hard him to keep a straight face in Expressing Yourself, playing alongside that cheeky little tyke Joe, he always looks a bundle of fun, playing that loveable side of Michael so well. Adam B2B was spot on, he also put so much effort, cursing and sweat into his Angry Dance, very popular with the audience. Another long ovation for his Dream Ballet, such a good blend with Barnaby and of course a great Electricity,"Well Done Adam"
Craig and Tom really got the audience going in the gag scene to open the second act, I think the whole Tom Locran appreciation society was in, he certainly was a popular guy.
Dave Bardsley is always a popular dad, loved his jig in the final kitchen scene.
What a enthusiastic audience, really up for it, you could see the appreciation on the casts faces. Thanks to all the cast, I hate missing anyone out, for another great show, also the production company for finding another gem in Adam.

Cheers Barry

Barrys corny gag(2 short ones) Barry was doing a crossword, he asks Pat. A flightless
bird from Iceland, 6 & 7 letters, Pat replies thats easy, "Frozen Chicken"
After 30 years marriage, Jim the plumber left his wife Florence, he left a note that simply read, "Its over Flo"
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Friday 19 August

RIP-ROARING RYAN RAISES THE ROOF AS HE RUNS THROUGH HIS REPERTOIRE

Having been witness to two excellent performances from Josh and Dean earlier in the week I wasn't expecting anything to top those shows, but how wrong I was. Young Master Collinson just keeps raising the bar each time I see him. From the moment he said ''It's to do with Maggie Thatcher, isn't it?'' to ''See ya Michael'' he was in top class form.His acting has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of months and the way he uses his voice in stressing words and phrases would do justice to a seasoned professional actor. His singing was first class also. There were a few laughs and smiles along the way,particularly when he snatched The Letter away from Mrs W on two occasions (that's the first time I've seen that happen) and also in the Christmas scene with Michael,played by the excellent Connor Kelly.

It is,however,his dancing which just blows you away. I am a novice when it comes to seeing the show (only about 40 times now) compared with some of the regulars that I meet at the VPT, but last night Ryan's interpretation in Angry Dance was angrier than Mr Angry (where have I heard that before,Blackadder?) with lots of swearing,V signs and shouting,but these did not get in the way of his perfect timing throughout the number.Quite rightly he received tremendous applause at the end of the first Act.

Having read Keith's (Keefym) review after Wednesday's show I was looking out for Ryan's skipping during B2B and,yes,he was quick and also performed a few cross overs with the rope at high speed and without fault. Dream Ballet with Barnaby was just that,a dream,perfectly executed, but the best was left till last. Ryan's singing during Electricity was a joy to listen to,whilst his dancing just left me (and the audience I would imagine) speechless. This was a wonderfully choreographed piece with new moves,extra street dancing and extra acrobatics that had the audience spellbound and I have to say this was by far the best performance of Electricity that I have seen. The standing ovation Ryan received after the number was truly merited. For a twelve-year old (thirteen today,I believe,so happy birthday Ryan) to perform like this was absolutely amazing. Some may say that I've gone OTT with this review,but,boy,you had to be there to witness Ryan's performance. I am sure that some of the audience who were seeing the show for the first time will not hesitate to come again...and again. So,congratulations Ryan on another great show. I am glad I was there.

Now,I'm off to the nearest bookshop to see if I can find an extra large dictionary to help me track down more words that I can use in my reviews as I'm running out of superlatives. Truly, ''I haven't got the words''.

dancingboy.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Saturday 20th Matinee.

A suntanned Billy in the shape of Dean gave a very sunny performance ably assisted by Connor Kelly and Fran. Such a shame though that for a Saturday matinee there were acres of unsold seats in the stalls to see it. Nevertheless those that were there enjoyed a top drawer performance from Dean who was clearly relaxed and refreshed after his recent holiday. Dean can play a very easy going Billy and on Saturday there were lots of grins and chuckles where appropriate. Contrasting this was an excellent parting scene from Mrs Wilkinson which had loads of gravitas and pathos. Very moving. You get the felling that Dean has not allowed his acting to stand still while he has been with the show. It remains 'work in progress' as he tries out new ideas and intonation of phraseology for example.
Connor brings out the best in Dean and vice versa so you had a real feeling of best mates having fun and exploring the world and their identities and aspirations at the same time. Into this mix we had another excellent performance from Fran.
David Bardsley was Dad and I have a lot of respect for the balanced and subtle way David plays the role. He really does bring out very well the emerging respect for his son's newly discovered talents and as such the packing suitcase scene and the farewells have such an added impact.
Overall a really enjoyable show with a Billly in great form.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Although I wasn't at the matinee on Saturday,I saw Dean on Friday 12 August and have to agree with what you say. That performance saw Dean at his most professional best.I have always said he is the Master of the Pause and there is more than one Billy who could take lessons from Dean on that score. Also,there was agreat deal of emotion from Dean when he said his farewells to Mrs W and I'm sure there were tears in his eyes when delivering some of his words.
paul30003
Ballet Girl

Post by paul30003 »

I was at matinee 19th Matinee.
I have to agree, Deanfan5
There was big cheeky smiles from Dean at every opportunity.

Thoughly enjoyed the show. A real pleasure to watch :)
“The dance is over, the applause subsided

but the joy and feeling will stay with you forever.”

W. M. Tory
greeny11
Audience Member

Post by greeny11 »

Assuming the above posts were at the 20th matinee rather than the 19th (which was a Friday), I completely agree with them - Dean was fantastic as Billy and I loved Connor as Michael too. David was a great Dad and really enjoyed his scenes, especially those with Tom. Loved the lady playing Grandma, not sure if it was Diane or someone else as I didn't pass the cast board (that entrance was blocked for everyone who had tickets), but she was really good. Overall, I thought the show was brilliant and I can't wait to go again.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Tuesday 23 August (extra matinee)

Basically, you only have to read my review of last Friday's show since I had the pleasure of seeing young Master Collinson yet again.The show may be the same,but young Ryan (now 13,of course) just gets better and better. Foot perfect in every dance,especially his Angry Dance where he is in time with the beat throughout. His swearing and his shouting,however,do not get in the way of his dancing.Then some exquisite dancing in B2B, including cross overs when skipping at a fast pace and an Electricity that had me (almost) in tears. If that wasn't enough he brings a lot to his acting as well,where he puts a great deal of passion into what he is saying.

Connor Kelly and Emily Smith were able supports in the parts of Michael and Debbie.Once again, Connor and Ryan had some good laughs during both Expressing Yourself and the Christmas scene with the tutu.

Therefore,yet another excellent show thoroughly enjoyed by the audience so ''Well Done'' to all concerned.

Incidentally,I had the pleasure of meeting Ryan and a very proud Mum at the Stage Door.

A brief review,I agree,but it says what I want to say and I still haven't got that new dictionary yet!!.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Review for Thursday 25 August (matinee)

It's time for another poem,I think.

Josh Baker hails from Rochester in Kent
The cost of his training was money well spent
Josh is all smiles throughout the show
Especially if he sees regulars in the front row.

I saw him again at today's matinee
His performance was ,well, what can I say?
Good,bad or indifferent ,no that isn't true
Tremendous,riveting,first class,to name,but a few.

The audience responded in time honoured fashion
So noisy were they we received an ear-bashin'
After Electricity and Finale, ovations they came
Josh's face lit up just like a flame

That was Josh's best show by a long,long way
I was certainly glad to be at the VPT today
Some shows are good,some shows are great
To see my next one,I just cannot wait.

So congraulations bonny lad Josh for a wonderful afternoon's entertainment .Thanks also go to Reece as Michael and Emily Williams as Debbie,plus,of course,all the senior cast who made the show one to truly remember.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks, dancingboy, for your poetic description of this afternoon's truly amazing matinee. I'm glad you were there to see it, too, as, otherwise, people might think I'm exaggerating. :D

Thursday Matinee 25th August

Josh B,
Reece
Emily W

Dad: David Bardsley
Grandma: Gillian Elisa
Mr. B: Alan Bradshaw
Posh Dad/Scab: Craig Armstrong

Tall Boy: Ashley

Those who brought Richter scales to the show today will have seen them destroyed by the end of Part 1. The reason? One Josh Baker’s Angry Dance. The power, the precision, co-ordinated feet belting out the angry beat at a rate of 100 tps (taps per second) left the regulars in no doubt that Josh had scaled new heights in this afternoon's performance. But this was just one highlight in a show with a multitude of spine-tingling highlights.

What Billy you see is a decision made by Lady Luck and the Good Lady does not believe in fair play as a result of which occasions arise when you don’t get an even spread of Billys. So, not having seen Josh in 9 shows, it was just a monumental occasion to be there to see just how far he has progressed in one’s absence.

Extraordinary that we currently have 5 Billys all different, a testament to the prowess of the company in the finding and training of these amazing examples of real human wizardry. Eat your heart out Harry Potter.

The weekly Billy barm brack has eight slices (nine this week). Each slice is delicious, tasty, crisp and nourishing. Sometimes a slice of brack contains a bonus, the ring, and it was our turn to get the ring today.

Chris McGlade bounced back again to provide much of the fun in the Boxing scene and, while Reece looked on with that impish smile, Josh’s Elvis-like gyrations had everyone in stitches.

Genevieve, Emily Williams and the Ballet Girls delivered a cracking Shine that crackled, sparkled and shone.

Gillian Elisa has settled quickly into the role of Grandma and she was absolutely sensational with some magic extra touches all her own and I have a feeling we are going to see even more. The kitchen scene when the RBS letter arrives was hilarious and every moment was cheered to the hilt by an extravagantly appreciative audience.

When Josh and Reece get together for Expressing you know you’re in for some fun and so are they. Their own smiles during this wonderful dance routine would have had even Victor Meldrew beaming from ear to ear.

The Letter was very moving with plenty of sniffling going on in the audience and Dead Mum Kay Milbourne’s sweet voice joining with Genevieve’s in what is probably the saddest scene in the show. BTW, Dawn Buckland stood in as Dead Mum a couple of weeks ago and did a terrific job.

A brilliant Boogie had a rousing finish as Josh first did his usual somersault off the piano and then proceeded to make Drogba green with envy with an outrageous “dive” to the floor that would have earned a yellow card on any football ground.

Part 2 began, as usual, with Santa Chris coming through the curtain to some cheers but, for the third Thursday Matinee running, Tom’s 557 young fans present in the audience just went ballistic for several minutes which, of course, was great fodder for Chris to, eh, shall we say, “respond”. This in itself was great fun and got even better when Chris got going with his usual routine. All of this led to a Maggie Thatcher that had everyone rocking in the aisles. Wouldn’t it be great if we could really jump out of our seats and join in with a bit more than synchronised clapping? Well, someone in Row B decided to do that today but, as far as I know, he isn’t a Forum Member, not yet, anyway. :lol:

After all that things got more serious with David’s beautiful rendition of Deep into the Ground settling everyone down. The Winter Scene was delicately done before Reece was at it again with his new tutu. His splits looked very sore indeed…….ouch.

A hush descended on the theatre as the Swan Lake music heralded the arrival of Barnaby. What followed was just sheer, emotional beauty. Damian Jackson take all the credit you deserve for the staging of this unrivalled piece of stage magic. Barnaby and Josh take all the credit you deserve for a flawless performance of it.

The next 15 minutes or so of BETM is stage drama at its very best and by the time the curtain comes down behind Billy and Dad our hearts have been torn one way and then the other with those breathtaking scenes powerfully acted by David and Genevieve, David and Tom with the Scab (Craig Armstrong today again showing his versatility as Scab and Posh Dad) with an ounce of comedy thrown in by Chris.

The following comedy scenes are drawn straight from the Marx Brothers with people coming in and out through doors for all sorts of reasons. Ballet Dancer was played today by Sergio and I love the way he puts the F-word between Milton and Keynes.

Ashley was, as he always is, superb as Posh Boy.

Well now, I guess you know what’s coming next, Josh’s Electricity. A Gem. Damian Jackson again take your bow. What this demands of a Billy boy is superhuman by any standards. No matter how many times I see it I find it is just one of those things in life that you have to accept happens. You are not dreaming or imagining it. It is as real as it gets. Billy must stand and deliver and Josh did it with poise, precision, splendour and power. I watched it, open-mouthed, in total awe and admiration. The young audience didn’t just go ballistic when it was over. They went straight into Outer Space and when Josh smiled the smile back at them you could feel the waves of appreciative vibes rushing from the back, where they were seated, over Row B’s heads and onto the stage and the hairs on the back of your neck stood up. Yeah, spine-tingling.

At the end of the show the richly-deserved standing ovation was a sight to behold and, as we exited the theatre, the buzz was busily buzzing about.

Roll on next week. Who will it be? I’ll let Lady Luck decide that.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”