What movies did you see recently?

For off-topic content
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: What movies did you see recently?

Post by kport »

I just came back from seeing The Leisure Seeker, starring Donald Sutherland and Helen Mirren. I am sorry to say that it was, possibly, the worst film I have seen in quite a while, made even worse by the fact that it wasted the talent of one of the finest actresses of today. When compared with On Golden Pond, another film about an aging couple and memory loss, it seems trivial by comparison. Save yourself the money and see something else!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

On Friday night, I finally saw Coco. Had heard many good things, and it really was a beautiful movie. I was particularly touched by the spirituality behind it, and without giving anything away, I felt it had a great take on Heaven and what other truths might also exist. Perhaps most touching of all though was the connection between this world and the next, and how our family members appreciate the ways in which we honor and remember them after they've passed.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

In my quest to make my new MoviePass cost effective, I went today to see Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs. I cannot describe it, as I have never seen anything quite like it. However, its novelty factor alone is worth the effort, and you may just come away very moved - and certainly entertained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt__kig8PVU
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kport wrote:In my quest to make my new MoviePass cost effective, I went today to see Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs. I cannot describe it, as I have never seen anything quite like it. However, its novelty factor alone is worth the effort, and you may just come away very moved - and certainly entertained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt__kig8PVU
I love his movies, but I understand why some just don't. He's definitely got a unique style! Looking forward to seeing this one.

Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

The two most recent films I've seen have been two of the better ones I've seen in quite sometime. Both are rooted in actual events:

- "I Can Only Imagine" - the story of Bart Millard, who's the lead singer with the Christian band Mercy Me. It focuses on the relationship between him and his dad, who was a hateful, abusive parent (played very impressively by Dennis Quaid). How Bart made it through his childhood without falling into depression, drugs, etc. is a miracle in itself, due to his rough upbringing. The story held my interest all the way through and wasn't preachy or amateurishly made, as some films in this genre can occasionally be. It shares a common bond with "Billy Elliot" in that it shows the value in not giving up on people and the importance of loving support between a father and son as he tries to achieve his dreams - in this case, music, rather than dance.

- "Chappaquiddick" - the story of the 1969 drowning death of one of Robert Kennedy's campaign volunteers and the involvement of Ted Kennedy, who was behind the wheel of the car when it went off a bridge. I found the story very gripping and interesting, and thought Jason Clarke did a fine job portraying Ted Kennedy. I was afraid it was going to slant the story one way or another - either to make Kennedy look like a victim whom we should feel sorry for, or a liar whom we would leave the theater with nothing but bad feelings for. Instead, it manged to show the slimy cover-up work by the Kennedy team while at the same time helping viewers understand the weight on Ted's shoulders of carrying on the Kennedy legacy, while coping with the still-recent tragedy of his brother's killing the year before and the declining health of his father, whose admiration and respect he desperately desired.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

A Quiet Place is simply phenomenal. Yes, there are strange and frightening creatures 'out there', but this story is about a family in peril, living in a strange new silent world, in constant fear of being discovered by 'them' if they make a peep. This is a story worthy of Stephen King. Forget the monster: this film is about the monster that lurks within us - and how we can overcome an ever present danger and survive. There is loss - the youngest child is killed by 'It' in the first 15 minutes - and more at the end, but throughout the love and bond between the family is tested and survives. Brilliant acting by John Krasinski (as Dad - he was in The Office), Emily Blunt as the mom who delivers a baby literally within feet of 'It', Millicent Simmonds, who in real life is deaf and whose hearing in the story ultimately defeats 'It', and the remarkable Noah Jupe as the younger brother tasked all too soon to take his dad's place, who may be remembered from his role in 'Wonder'. Just four actors carry this film, in the way that The Room was carried by just two. It is intense. This film is at the top of the box office this week, for good reason: it is about people and families, and not just sci-fi monsters. Highly recommended!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7cc5t7tv8
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kport wrote:A Quiet Place is simply phenomenal. Yes, there are strange and frightening creatures 'out there', but this story is about a family in peril, living in a strange new silent world, in constant fear of being discovered by 'them' if they make a peep. This is a story worthy of Stephen King. Forget the monster: this film is about the monster that lurks within us - and how we can overcome an ever present danger and survive. There is loss - the youngest child is killed by 'It' in the first 15 minutes - and more at the end, but throughout the love and bond between the family is tested and survives. Brilliant acting by John Krasinski (as Dad - he was in The Office), Emily Blunt as the mom who delivers a baby literally within feet of 'It', Millicent Simmonds, who in real life is deaf and whose hearing in the story ultimately defeats 'It', and the remarkable Noah Jupe as the younger brother tasked all too soon to take his dad's place, who may be remembered from his role in 'Wonder'. Just four actors carry this film, in the way that The Room was carried by just two. It is intense. This film is at the top of the box office this week, for good reason: it is about people and families, and not just sci-fi monsters. Highly recommended!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7cc5t7tv8
I'm too weak in the sensibilities for this kind of film, but I appreciate the review nonetheless. I would, however, strongly suggest you need a "Spoiler Alert" at the very start of this review.

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again is fun, silly, and enjoyable. It’s both a sequel and prequel to the original from ten years ago. I think this one is a much better written story than the first. The story fills in some of the gaps from before. It can get kind of cheesy at times, but that should be expected given the original. I really liked Lily James as young Donna, plus the back story of her encounters with the three guys. It is good light summer entertainment. Julie Walters returns as Rosie, providing a BE connection.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Won’t You Be My Neighbor is a wonderful and charming documentary about a beloved TV icon. It is well worth seeing. We could sure use the kindness and love of a Mr. Rogers today!
cheltonian
Small Boy

Post by cheltonian »

I watched Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, more by accident than design, last Thursday, merely because I was away from home, it was pouring with rain, and I couldn't think of anything else to do indoors. I'm not a particular Abba fan and have never seen the original film.

For the first 10 minutes or so I was thinking "what on earth am I doing here", then gradually the humour, fun and general joie de vivre won me over and I found I was actually enjoying it. I thought Lily James was particularly good as the young Donna. Julie Waters had moments of brilliance, simple things like stumbling on a step that were just perfectly done.

Now I don't want to give away anything, but towards the end of the film I had tears running down my cheeks. It was a bit corny and cheesy, but so very well done. The singing in the song in question was quite beautiful.

So if you want an hour and three quarters of harmless fun, with a good cry at the end, this is the film for you!

Return to “General Chat”