What movies did you see recently?

For off-topic content
Todd
Dad

Re: What movies did you see recently?

Post by Todd »

The two most recent films I've seen were both very different but both very enjoyable:

1) "Mission Impossible - Fallout" - despite its 2 hour and 40 minute running time, it held my interest and had lots of clever plot twists and creative touches to keep you guessing. Even if you can't keep track of all the characters or figure out exactly what they're trying to do, it's still good fun thanks to all the chases, fights, and close calls.

2) "Christopher Robin" - a fun, live-action look at Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet and the gang, and their relationship with both the child and adult version of Christopher Robin. Eeyore stole the show, in my opinion, as his pessimistic observations about whatever was going on (he's voiced by actor Brad Garrett from the TV show "Everybody Loves Raymond") were some of the funniest movie bits I've seen in quite awhile. Amidst the laughs, the film points out the importance of not getting too busy in life for the people who matter most to you, and to take time to remember the child inside you when life gets too serious sometimes. Special mention should also be given to the art direction, which offers a very realistic reproduction of 1940's London.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I don’t usually like remakes, but the new “A Star Is Born” is very enjoyable. Lady Gaga gives a powerful performance, both acting and singing. It's a gritty story, which has been somewhat revised and modernized, but holds true to its roots.
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

They Shall Not Grow Old - 1 hour 39 mins

I recently went to see the above film released by Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy etc.) the New Zealand director. This was a project to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of WW1 in collaboration with the BBC and Imperial War Museum, rather than a commercial venture. Footage was taken from archives and with state of the art technology, colour added, speed adjusted and soundtrack incorporated. A 3D version has also been produced. The finished product was very moving. Used to seeing monochrome footage with flickering and scratched frames, and people moving around at an unnatural speed, instead we have normality. From a time in the distant past which you had found it difficult to connect with, this instead became something which could have taken place a few years ago. The soldiers are transformed. They are now people you could pass on the street today, with a sense of humour and even adventure. The film was intended to be screened for one day only, but the interest was such that additional screenings were quickly arranged. Arrangements have been made for all schools to be shown the film, so a DVD may be a possibility shortly. It is being screened on BBC 2 on Sunday 11 November at 9.30pm.

This is a film which restricts itself to the Western Front, the fighting which took place around France and Belgium. It almost exclusively focuses on British troop deployments. However it is not really about the war itself. It is about men at war, and how they deal with the ever present possibility of death, to themselves and their fellow comrades. How do you climb out of a trench and walk towards almost certain death ? It is not pro war. It is not anti war. It will primarily be of interest to a British audience. However, so many nations and continents were dragged into the war, the loss of life so horrific, that anyone should find this to be an interesting view from a different angle. Real history, as it happened, not manufactured. As someone who lost a relative in this war, that relative now lying in a war grave in Belgium, I now understand more what life was like for him at the time. Already wearing my poppy.

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHYRfukHToc

Interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdY-1u-rk_M
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

I recently saw "Bohemian Rhapsody," the story of the rock group Queen. They were always a favorite of mine growing up, so I found the history of how they met and their relationship as a band to be very interesting. The actors who portrayed the four band members looked quite a bit like them (although I found the false teeth on the actor who plays Freddie Mercury to be a bit distracting). It was fun hearing lots of their songs, and seeing the re-creation of their performance at Live Aid in 1985. Strongly recommend.
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

They Shall Not Grow Old - 1 hour 39 mins - Details of release dates in USA

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/pet ... n-december
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

I saw perhaps my favorite film of 2018 last weekend: "Green Book." It stars Viggo Mortensen as a bouncer at New York's famed Copacabana night club. He accepts a temporary job as a driver for a classically-trained black piano player who travels to the deep South of the U.S. in 1962 to perform for audiences who might not otherwise get to see him perform. It's a very enlightening look at race relations in the U.S. during that time, and is an entertaining (and surprisingly humorous) look at two people who couldn't be much more different and how they come to terms with their differences.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I saw Mary Poppins Returns tonight. Emily Blunt is an ideal Mary Poppins! Overall an enjoyable movie. It's not perfect, and some parts, especially at the beginning drag too much. Most of the musical numbers are fantastic. I'm glad for the directing talents of Rob Marshall, a seasoned director of Broadway musicals, as well as the Oscar-winning movie of "Chicago".

Lin-Manuel leads an amazing show-stopping number with dancing lamplighters that is probably the biggest live-action movie dance number I've seen in decades. "Trip a Little Light Fantastic" will go down in movie history as the biggest thing since "Be Our Guest."

Two cameos at the end are true nostalgia. Dick Van Dyke dances on a desk, and Angela Lansbury sings one of the final numbers. Both are age 93, but instantly recognizable.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

CJ-Rochester wrote: Lin-Manuel leads an amazing show-stopping number with dancing lamplighters that is probably the biggest live-action movie dance number I've seen in decades. "Trip a Little Light Fantastic" will go down in movie history as the biggest thing since "Be Our Guest."
Leon Cooke is a member of the ensemble for this movie.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

ERinVA wrote:Leon Cooke is a member of the ensemble for this movie.
Yes, I spotted him at the very end of the film in a scene that takes place in a park on a spring day. He appeared to be playing some game and was roughhousing with his friend in the scene. He was probably in several of the musical numbers - such as the dancing scene that CJ-Rochester mentioned - but I didn't happen to notice him.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Bohemian Rhapsody - A+
I need to see this again, that's how much I enjoyed it. Great story, great acting, great performance by the star, and needless to say, really great music throughout. So impressive from start to finish, and a fantastic theatrical experience to boot. Go see it and enjoy!

Beautiful Boy - C
I was disappointed by this movie. Wonderful elements throughout, including really great acting by Timothée Chalamet, but otherwise it just wasn't directed or edited well at all in my opinion. If you've seen Leonardo DiCaprio's The Basketball Diaries, you've seen a much better film about a young man suffering with a crippling drug addiction. I understand Timmy's Globes nod, but others in his category are more deserving. Timmy's triumphant performance in Call Me by Your Name was much more deserving of accolades and applause. And Steve Carell was no where near his best in this either, sad to say. Love him too, but no, just not a believable performance. Low marks for Maura Tierney, too.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “General Chat”