What movies did you see recently?

For off-topic content
Lina
Small Boy

Re: What movies did you see recently?

Post by Lina »

Alex wrote:Does anyone else reckon that those Lord of the Rings films are a work of genius?
They are! But the Two Towers is not so good as the other two films.
My favorite of those has always been the Fellowship of the ring, the beginning is beautiful with all those happy people, and the firework! :)
~ July 24, 2008; Billy Elliot! ~
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Strangely I wasn't a LOTR film fan at all. I saw the first and got bored, then walked out of the second one bored, then didn't bother with the third! I liked the stage musical version though!

The last movie I saw was Wall E. It was mildly amusing! :D
Alex
Ballet Girl

Post by Alex »

Muppet wrote:Strangely I wasn't a LOTR film fan at all. I saw the first and got bored, then walked out of the second one bored, then didn't bother with the third! I liked the stage musical version though!
Heretic!! Travesty! You're making The Great God of Filmland cry! :lol:

I was lucky enough to see the stage musical before it closed, but I couldn't really enjoy it because the acting was so appallingly bad (Saruman was absolutely terrible - much more spoilt child than all-powerful wizard).

But anyway - I watched The Two Towers a couple of nights ago. Originally, it was my favourite of the trilogy. Now, I kinda wonder why. The only piece of genius that comes close to Moria was Helm's Deep. But even that doesn't match up to the feeling of unknown doom that I felt in Moria (*shivers* I was sooooo tense when Gandalf read aloud from Balin's diary thing - "The ground shakes. Drums, in the deep . . . we cannot get out. We cannot get out. They are coming . . .")

There was a moment that did represent a different type of shining cinema genius, though. The scene in which Gandalf comes back is one of my all-time favourites. The way he says "You are tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits" etc. It could be Gandalf. It could be Saruman. His voice is vibrating in a weird way. Then suddenly, he's there, all white and shiney! (Yes, I have a bit of a thing for Gandalf. In another world, he is my grandfather).

Then there is the brilliant work of Andy Serkis (is that right?) who played Gollum. What a fantastic job he did! Quite liked Gimli and Legolas in this one too. Trees were a tad useless, as was Theoden (pah, the only reason he was at the front of the stampede at the end was so that he could escape . . .) Then there's Helm's Deep, I think my favourite battle sequence out of all three films (does anyone else want to be Legolas as he surfs down those stairs on an orc shield, simultaneously letting off arrows, or is it just me?)

So yes . . . a relatively short review for such a long film. It did have a similar effect on me to the first one, though, in that I looked at my watch afterwards and thought 'Wait . . . I've been here three hours?! How did that happen?! Next - The Return of the King. I remember it as my least favourite out of the three (the end goes on for faaaaaar too long, and the battle of Minas Tirith is just a little too big in the way of scale for my liking). But then again, my favourite has now changed from the second to the first, so who knows what might happen?
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."

Pratchett.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Alex wrote:
Muppet wrote:Strangely I wasn't a LOTR film fan at all. I saw the first and got bored, then walked out of the second one bored, then didn't bother with the third! I liked the stage musical version though!
Heretic!! Travesty! You're making The Great God of Filmland cry! :lol:

I was lucky enough to see the stage musical before it closed, but I couldn't really enjoy it because the acting was so appallingly bad (Saruman was absolutely terrible - much more spoilt child than all-powerful wizard).
...and you've made the Great Lord of the Theatre (not ALW! Me!) fall to his knees in shock!! :o
LOTR - "Apallingly bad" acting?! How could you be so harsh!! The guy who played Gollum was AMAZING!!
Admittedly the soundtrack was %£$! but the acting was quite good I thought! :?
Bob_Bobson
Audience Member

Post by Bob_Bobson »

Irishboi wrote:I saw "Let The Right One In" lastnight. Its truly spectacular!!!!

Its a Sweedish Vampire movie. But dont let that put you off. First of all it was so good that I forgot about the subtitles fairly quickly. And as a vampire movie it puts Twilight completetly in the shade. The acting is streets ahead of that movie...particularly from the two young leads.

Its cert 16 here in Ireland which came as a bit of a surprise as its a bit brutal in places ( tho not overly so )....it may be 18s in other countries.

Dont want to give too much of the story away but I will say this. Its about a 12yo boy who is bullied at school and is kind of a loner...he has no friends. A 12yo girl moves in to the apartment next door but she is not what she seems. They form a very tight friendship and the story is mostly about what will happen if he finds out her secret. To me its more about friendship than Vampires.

Again please dont be put off by what you might think this movie is about....I kinda didnt want to go. Im not really into vampire movies........but its much more than that.
Hollywood are planning an American remake :? See it before they do that.

This is the Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICp4g9p_rgo

I will say the trailer, especially the music in the trailer, makes it seem scarier than it is :shock:

9/10
Saw it at the Dublin Film Festival a while back and honestly I cant say enough good things about this movie. Hold off buying the US DVD though as the ******* changed some of the subtitles :evil:
billybuddies4eva
Tall Boy

Post by billybuddies4eva »

I saw 17 again last week, it was really good, quite predictable but an easy watch which was really funny aswell :D . It's a must see for all Zac Efron fans ;)

Corey x3 Layton x3 Josh x2 Tanner x3 Brad x2 Hogan x1 Sam x1 Liam x1 Travis x1 Ollie x2 Fox 1 Trent x0.5 Davidx0.5

Shaun x4 Jonty x3 George x3 Ryan x2 Dean x2 Daniel x2 George x3 Brad x1 Jake x2 Keane x1 Connor x1
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

billybuddies4eva wrote:It's a must see for all Zac Efron fans ;)
I will give it a miss then! :)
Finale
Former Admin

Post by Finale »

I went to see the frost/nixon film on Tuesday evening. It was actually very good! Those who liked 'the queen' should consider this, as it is written by the same person. £5 was also excellent value for money.
sfo
George

Post by sfo »

i haven't been to the Cinema in ages :( im looking forward to the new Star Trek Film :D
NIKKIE-NIKKIE
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by NIKKIE-NIKKIE »

The Boat That Rocked

"is an ensemble comedy in which the romance takes place between the young people of the '60s and pop music. It's about a band of rogue DJs that captivated Britain, playing the music that defined a generation and standing up to a government that, incomprehensibly, preferred jazz. The Count, a big, brash, American god of the airwaves; Quentin, the boss of Radio Rock -- a pirate radio station in the middle of the North Sea that's populated by an eclectic crew of rock and roll DJs; Gavin, the greatest DJ in Britain who has just returned from his drug tour of America to reclaim his rightful position; Dave, an ironic, intelligent and cruelly funny co-broadcaster; and a fearsome British government official out for blood"

This is possibly more for the 30 plus age range, due to the concept and sound track but give it a go.

It was very funny, and great bunch of characters. You can see where the plot is heading quite quickly but this does not detract from the film, and there is also twist to the end.

I thought I could have easily moved onto the boat, as seemed a total party 24/7.

7/10
Take life with a pinch of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Return to “General Chat”