BETM video?

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BETM video?

Post by ERinVA »

Well, that's equivocal. :?

Yes, of course the show has been filmed all the way through by professionals. They use bits and pieces for advertising purposes, and I assume they use them to train new cast members as well. And yes, there are plenty of bootlegs out there too.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
booth088
Tall Boy

Post by booth088 »

mikey2573 wrote:And yet look at the more "obscure" productions that The National has digitally sent out to cinemas. Some of them are plays that I have never even heard of (not that I've heard of every play).
If you were to offer a broadcast of a LIVE Broadway musical like the MET and the NT does, at about $30 a ticket (it would be less than seeing it live not more --they are losing the LIVE element, and you the potential is to sell a LOT more tickets than you could get from one Broadway theater) I think that would be quite appealing, especially for those who don't live near NYC.

As far as BETM videos, believe me they DO exist --and they ain't all bootlegs either (meaning shot by someone sneaking a camera into the theater). At least I THINK they do exist. But I really don't know.
The point is that you do not make money on such broadcasts. In-fact, broadcasts such as the MET lose money.

And yes, of course there is a pro-shot video of Trent Kowalik in 2009 performing as Billy. There are restrictions to the viewing of the video. You need a NYPL card, depending on who is working at the time you need a good reason to be watching it, you must watch it at a desk that they put you at, you only have the length of the video as far as time to watch the video (you can rewind and such, but when the time is up then the time is up), and you can only watch it once in your life.
Brad
George

Post by Brad »

paul30003 wrote:I would like a DVD of the show after the final curtain call, but for now I feel a DVD would spoil that very special live theater appeal.
Reluctantly I agree. So often I have wanted to relive some special Billy moments - especially the closing in Melbourne however, I close my eyes and quietly enjoy it and I am sure it feels so much better than watching a recorded version
Cheers

Brad
mikey2573
Tall Boy

Post by mikey2573 »

"I close my eyes and quietly enjoy it and I am sure it feels so much better than watching a recorded version"

Whatever works for you! I like my way of reliving the show (and the variouse casts) MUCH better.
mikey2573
Tall Boy

Post by mikey2573 »

"Yes, of course the show has been filmed all the way through by professionals. They use bits and pieces for advertising purposes,"

I am not talking about press reels. We all know about those. I am talking about videos that are shot by the theater's in-house video system, which basically gives you a full stage shot, though some have occasional zooms (I've heard). London and Australia are rather well-known for making these videos and they "occasionally" slip out to the public.
But those videos could never be used for advertising purposes or in place of press reels.

Return to “Non-BETM Archive”