Mr Braithwaite

Re: October 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by johnnyc »

Saturday, Oct 8, matinee

Billy - Myles
Michael - Cameron
Tall/Posh Boy - Peter Mazurowski
Small Boy - Zachary

Just a few notes - my first time seeing Myles, and I was impressed, especially by his Electricity. But sorry, Daniel Jenkins still does not do anything for me as dad.

Unrelated to the performance, I was shocked to pay $15 for my customary rum and coke at intermission. It seems that all drinks are now served in those new-fangled glasses with lids, and I was told if I returned the container on my next visit, my next drink would be only $10. There will be no more next drinks for me at the Imperial! Grrrr!!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

johnnyc wrote:Unrelated to the performance, I was shocked to pay $15 for my customary rum and coke at intermission. It seems that all drinks are now served in those new-fangled glasses with lids, and I was told if I returned the container on my next visit, my next drink would be only $10. There will be no more next drinks for me at the Imperial! Grrrr!!
I thought it was a fuller and stronger drink than usual when I ordered the same (though with Diet Coke). And the reusable glass has been used several times since then and held up well in the dishwasher. I used it as an outdoor and otherwise warm-weather holder for my cold drinks at parties. Look for others' glasses left behind too. =) All that said, I do also feel your pain as that's still quite a bit for a drink, reusable glass or not.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Look at the bright side. You will drink less. :)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Sunday evening, October 9, 2011

Billy - Giuseppe Bausilio
Michael - Jake Broderick
Mrs. Wilkinson - Laura Marie Duncan
Dead Mum - Stephanie Kurtzuba
Small Boy - Zachary Maitlin

First of all, I must confess that I bought a ticket to this show based on the information posted on http://www.playbill.com that this would be Giuseppe's final performance. As Giuseppe has been my most-seen and most-likely all-time favorite Billy, I wanted to be there to see his last show. However, as we all know now, he has signed an extension to stay on for awhile longer. Looking at the big picture, I'm glad this will give more people a chance to see this amazingly talented and charismatic young performer.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Giuseppe in Chicago, several cities on the 2nd tour, and a couple of times now in New York. Of all the times I've seen him, I thought last night was the best performance I've ever seen him give. He seemed on fire - especially during the intense numbers such as "Angry Dance," which was one of the most dynamic performances of this song I've ever seen. While they've dropped a few songs down to a lower key for him to sing, he still hit the high notes just fine. In fact, his singing was the best I've ever heard it and right up there among the best singing performances by a Billy that I've ever heard. His voice now has a bit of a vibrato and richness - especially in the lower register - and is even more pleasant to listen to than before.

This was my first time seeing some of the new cast members, and I was impressed with most all of them. Especially good, I thought, was Jake Broderick as Michael - who has a real good sense of timing and seems to be a natural comic. He and Giuseppe seemed to be having a great time during "Express Yourself." I suppose my expectations were low with the new actors playing Jackie Elliot and Grandma, considering how much I enjoyed Greg Jbara and Carole Shelly in those roles. But I thought Daniel Jenkins and Katherine McGrath were able replacements. I also thoroughly enjoyed Laura Marie Duncan who filled in as Mrs. Wilkinson. I wasn't quite so sure about the thin, wiry William Youmans as George, however, as I found him a little difficult to believe as a boxing coach for some reason. Obviously it would make no sense for the small boy to call him a "fat bastard" so they've gone back to the original "wan**er" line.

As for other line changes, I didn't notice many . . except for the f-word being replace by "bloody" and "flippen" at the very beginning when Michael asks Billy what Maggie Thatcher's done, and when Billy pulls out the set to begin "Express Yourself." Not sure why they chose to change just those words, as there's still plenty of other f-words in the show. Doesn't seem like removing two of them was worth the trouble of changing it.

The audience was excellent last night, aided most likely by a good number of forum members who were in attendance towards the front of the auditorium. They/we helped to start two well-deserved standing ovations for Giuseppe at the conclusion of "Angry Dance" and at the end of "Electricity." I loved seeing him get those ovations considering the masterful performance he turned in on both of them. As an added bonus, who should end up sitting 3 seats down from me but Tommy Batchelor and his mother who had just arrived in town for a visit ! Tommy seemed to enjoy the show from an unusual perspective for him - the audience - and spoke highly of Giuseppe's performance when I talked to him later.

I found myself several times during the course of the evening realizing how I was enjoying this musical just as much as I ever have. In fact, this particular show would rate towards the top of the most enjoyable and best-performed shows I've ever seen. Thus, I couldn't help but think to myself, "How can they be ending a show that's this entertaining and this good?" Made me sad to think of Broadway without it, in just 3 months.

To top off an already great night, Giuseppe signed autographs, posed for pictures, and visited with fans at the stage door afterwards. I continue to be impressed at his politeness and maturity in dealing with the public - particularly adults - when considering how new he still is to this country and to speaking English. Talk about a quick and successful cultural acclimation ! He's developed a quick wit and has a sincere charm that makes you think he's a "can't miss" when it comes to a future career in show business, dancing, or whatever he decides to pursue. He certainly has the people skills and the talent.

And finally, a few of us lucky ones who waited around long enough were treated to a back-stage tour by Giuseppe. It was interesting to hear about the behind-the-scenes of the show by one of the Billys, in comparison to the perspective of one of the adult leads (Greg Jbara) who led numerous back-stage visits during his time in the show. Although I won't be able to be at Giuseppe's final performance (assuming it's before January 8th), this one was a good one to end on.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Especially good, I thought, was Jake Broderick as Michael - who has a real good sense of timing and seems to be a natural comic.
His name is Jack, not Jake. ;)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:I've had the pleasure of seeing Giuseppe in Chicago, several cities on the 2nd tour, and a couple of times now in New York. Of all the times I've seen him, I thought last night was the best performance I've ever seen him give. He seemed on fire - especially during the intense numbers such as "Angry Dance," which was one of the most dynamic performances of this song I've ever seen.
Todd, I've heard a few brief accounts on Facebook from people who were there last night about how extra great a show it was, so I was so happy to see your name before a review of last night's show. Reading reviews is never quite as great as being there, but I felt the power and joy of the show in your words just the same. Thank you for the review!

Sean
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Thanks Todd for your review. I saw Giuseppe 4 out of the 7 times I've seen the show and it brought back good memories. :D
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

I was sat between some interesting people at Sunday night's show. They weren't forum members, but the couple on my right had seen the production multiple times, and the gentleman on my left told me he had seen Billy on Broadway over 100 times! As we were comparing notes, the conductor, who was just in front of us, joined in, congratulating us on being such great fans of the show. And during intermission, it was almost impossible to navigate the center aisle of the theatre, as audience members in the know had discovered Tommy Batchelor sitting in their midst and were all clamoring for photos. :D
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

angelenroute wrote:
Todd, I've heard a few brief accounts on Facebook from people who were there last night about how extra great a show it was, so I was so happy to see your name before a review of last night's show. Reading reviews is never quite as great as being there, but I felt the power and joy of the show in your words just the same. Thank you for the review!

Sean
Thanks for the kind words, Sean. One other thing I forgot to mention was that in "Solidarity" when Billy delivers his response to Mrs. Wilkinson " . .. chin . . " and then remains motionless in his position, the audience broke into applause. Never have heard that before, as it's usually one of those moments in the show where the audience is completely silent.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for telling us about the evening, Todd. It really does sound like there was magic in the air. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”