October 2011 Reviews - NYC

angelenroute
Billy

Re: October 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Sean. One other thing I forgot to mention was that in "Solidarity" when Billy delivers his response to Mrs. Wilkinson " . .. chin . . " and then remains motionless in his position, the audience broke into applause. Never have heard that before, as it's usually one of those moments in the show where the audience is completely silent.
I just got chills reading this. Suzanne from NY had mentioned the same thing but I didn't realize she meant in this scene. Wow! As she had said, Giuseppe really has "the best back attitude in the ballet world!" and I can totally see how an enthusiastic audience would see that magic happen before their eyes, a boy falling down on his face a few minutes earlier now finding such a beautiful balletic frame before their eyes. Magnificent!
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Not to take away from discussing Giuseppe, (and I can hardly wait for shimmyshimmy's review of Friday night's show), I wonder why "Father Christmas" now breaks into singing a few bars of "It's not Unusual" just after he hits the bucket covering small boy's head. For me, that doesn't fit in at all with the atmosphere of the scene. When did they start doing this? It wasn't being done when I was there for Jacob's last show.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

johnnyc wrote:Not to take away from discussing Giuseppe, (and I can hardly wait for shimmyshimmy's review of Friday night's show), I wonder why "Father Christmas" now breaks into singing a few bars of "It's not Unusual" just after he hits the bucket covering small boy's head. For me, that doesn't fit in at all with the atmosphere of the scene. When did they start doing this? It wasn't being done when I was there for Jacob's last show.
I noticed this when I was there last week. I guess it was part of the other script changes. I found the bit of song at this point annoying. The other change in the Christmas number is Danny Rutigliano (Big Davey) plays Father Christmas and Maggie Thatcher, instead of William Youmans (George). I do like Danny in this role, as he is more jolly and fun, but wish they hadn't added the song.
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I think it's probably up to each George to determine what kind of routine he wants to do for the opening. The director probably says something like, "Show me what you've got," and then says yes or no to the improv until a final version is decided upon.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

johnnyc wrote:I wonder why "Father Christmas" now breaks into singing a few bars of "It's not Unusual" just after he hits the bucket covering small boy's head. For me, that doesn't fit in at all with the atmosphere of the scene. When did they start doing this? It wasn't being done when I was there for Jacob's last show.
I respectfully disagree. I found it much closer to both the Tour and the London versions, having him interact with the audience or at least grab their attention for the second half more. I like it.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

shimmyshimmy wrote:Language: Billy's opening line is now: Well I don't bloody know (same as Toronto). When Billy sees Michael in a dress it's Flippin' Hell.

I may have read here or elsewhere (and it makes sense) that they may have wanted to just gradually change the language, and this is as far as they got. If I asked for a show of hands to change these back, I suspect I'd see a lot of hands.
shimmyshimmy wrote:Giuseppe did a triple axel back flip thingy off the piano (OK, I'm embellishing. It was a nice jump).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
shimmyshimmy wrote:Mrs. Wilkinson: We had Laura Marie Duncan (dead mom) for both shows on Sunday and she was wonderful.
Love her!!!

Thanks for your notes!
Sean
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Great observations, shimmyshimmy. Sounds like you saw a great weekend of shows. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

shimmyshimmy wrote:But Giuseppe's voice? Holy crap!
Yes, in a class with George Maguire and Michael Dameski, voice-wise, IMO. And Giuseppe is the only current Billy to make me really take notice when he sings those final words of Deep Into the Ground with dad. The other boys sing the same notes with dad, but Giuseppe and Daniel do it in two-part harmony. Simply beautiful.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

johnnyc wrote:And Giuseppe is the only current Billy to make me really take notice when he sings those final words of Deep Into the Ground with dad. The other boys sing the same notes with dad, but Giuseppe and Daniel do it in two-part harmony. Simply beautiful.
WOW! Nice!
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

How about the drinking fountain? Don't worry, it's not coin-operated.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”