November 2011 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Finale
Former Admin

November 2011 Reviews - London

Post by Finale »

Keep them coming :D

If you're unfamiliar with our posting guidelines, please watch the following video:
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Re: November 2011 Reviews - London

Post by Born to Boogie »

Six years ago I was on my way home with my parents and a spring in my step after seeing Billy Elliot for the first time as a birthday present I had bought for them earlier in the year. Exactly six years, five cities, more than thirty thousand miles, thirty Billys and almost too many shows to count later, I left the Victoria Palace again this afternoon with my head full of all the memories that following the show has given me. The show this afternoon from Ryan and co was as outstanding, fresh and inspiring as the one that George Maguire led six years ago. Many thanks to everyone in each of the productions I have seen over the past six years for their part in making supporting the show so enjoyable and uplifiting. I look forward to continuing to play my small part in following whatever journey the show takes in the years to come.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY, 3rd NOVEMBER, MATINEE

Its a while since a since I last did a review, because to me they sound so similar, but what a matinee on Thursday, Gosh!
Ryan's portrayal of Billy was excellent, again his back chat, grumbles and facial expressions just crease me, a typical lad, he is so great at adlibing when things don't go right, shown when his skipping didn't work out in B2B.
Expressing Yourself was just magical with that scamp Connor Kelly, another one, with great facial expressions, they showed so much enjoyment in performing together, the audience adored it. The letter scene had a lady next to me in tears, Angry Dance was again awesome in typical Ryan fashion.
The show was running a little late so the chat in front of the tabs was cut again. Connor was up to his tricks again in the pre Ballet scene, an accidental trip by Connor leaving the stage really amused Ryan, he couldn't keep a staright face. A great Dream Ballet and of course Electricity again, Well Done Ryan! Loved the antics with the posh boy in front of the fire curtain especially the walk into the audition. Another fine performance from Gillian again as Grandma.
Well for me it was Ta-Ra to so many members of the cast who are leaving the show next week, you will leave some great memories, I "Wish you all the best in the future" you all will all be sadly missed, sorry I can't be at your final show.

Barry
Barry's corny gag- Two young mates were walking in the jungle near Scunthorpe, stopped for a rest, one sat down and a snake bit him on the cheek of his backside. So his mate ran off to the nearest village and asked a doctor, what to do, the doctor said, make a cut on his backside near the bit and suck out the poison, so he ran staight back to his mate. Who was still sat down, he said, did you see a doctor then, and what did he say. Oh! the doctor said, Sorry you are going to die!!
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Monday 31 October and Thursday 3 November

The reason for two reviews in one is because on both my visits this week I have seen Josh Baker as Billy. The one thing that Josh puts into the role is enthusiasm and there is no doubt that he has his own 'take' on the role, but this does not lessen his performance whatsoever. As we all know the show is an uplifting one, but with Josh you seem to be uplifted right from the beginning. Rightly or wrongly Josh's 'happy go lucky' style with smiles a plenty bring a smile to your face too. On these two nights Josh was ably abetted by Joe Massey and Reece Barrett as Michael and the stomping Emily Smith as Debbie that made each show a joy to watch.

Josh's dancing on both occasions was superb and he fully deserved his standing ovations, particularly after his Electricity, which he is quick to acknowledge (to the regulars anyway) with a nod and a smile. One touch I do like from Josh is at the ending of the show when he says 'See ya Michael' he half turns to say this line, rather than just look towards the audience. The final part of the show, of course, is a rousing, Josh, Finale which gets everyone whooping and clapping .
Josh never fails to impress me with his all-round ability and, of course, his unbounded enthusiasm. My congratulations must also go to the wonderful teams of Ballet girls who perform so well every night.

Aren't we always impressed by the show though?
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Totally disagree Go Home Billy. Ovations are not just reserved for the end of a show.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
paul30003
Ballet Girl

Post by paul30003 »

dancingboy wrote:Monday 31 October and Thursday 3 November

Josh's dancing on both occasions was superb and he fully deserved his standing ovations, particularly after his Electricity,
Great review dancingboy.

Its clear that whoever is playing Billy appreciates a standing ovation.

If the performance of Electricity is exceptional then I stand.

I have yet to see a performance of Electricity that is "not" exceptional :lol:
“The dance is over, the applause subsided

but the joy and feeling will stay with you forever.”

W. M. Tory
Sam4God
Tall Boy

Post by Sam4God »

I also have to admit that I don't like random standing ovations after 'Electricity'... especially when it's only a few people (the 'regulars' as they are known) standing. I completely understand it if it's a certain Billy's last show or a special occasion, but standing ovations (after Electricity) every time just don't make sense to me... You can show the same amount of appreciation by just clapping and cheering for them after they perform 'Electricity' - there's no need to stand every time :)
113 Shows: (July 2008 - March 2016)
23 Billys: (LaytonX1, TannerX1, OllieX2, RyanX14, ScottX1, Dean-CharlesX4, AdamX16, JoshX5, KaineX8, HarrisX8, HarrisonX10, RedmandX10, TadeX2, AliX5.5, ElliottX5, BradleyX5.5, MitchellX3, MatteoX1, Ollie JX3, NatX3, Brodie X3, Thomas X1, Euan X1)
18 Michaels: (ShaunX1, Dean-CharlesX1, JakeX1, JoeX31, ReeceX15.5, Connor KellyX17.5, Connor LawsonX2, Adam VespermanX1, ThomasX5, JackX3, ZachX7.5, Tade BiesingerX1, FreddieX5.5, ZakX5, TomiX5, ToddX3, NathanX3, BenX1, BradleyX3)
13 Debbies: (MeganX1, AnnabelleX1, FrancescaX14, Emily SmithX7, Emily WilliamsX16, MacyX18, DaynaX16, MillieX12, DemiX14.5, KyriaX4, ConnieX3.5, Beatrice X2, HollieX3)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I always stand for Billy at the end of the show, no matter who is playing him at that performance, because I strongly believe that any kid who can do what he has done in carrying a show like that definitely deserves a standing ovation, but I am in agreement with those who feel that standing for every performance of Electricity is unnecessary. As Sam just said, if it's the Billy's leaving show, then it makes some sense, but otherwise, no.

By the way, are there any more reviews? 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Friday 4 November

Just a very few words, Ellen, about tonight's show at the Victoria Palace, I'll try to put more detail on tomorrow. An absolutely scintillating performance from Adam Vesperman, undoubtedly the best performance I have seen from him and, yes, I did stand after Electricity because Adam fully deserved it. I have nothing but the highest praise for the whole of tonight's show. Because of one or two things happening inadvertently, Expressing Yourself, with Connor Lawson was hilarious. More to follow, I hope.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Looking forward to the full review. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - London”