NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT- Imperial April 2012

Chat about other shows here
atreyu
George

Re: NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT- Imperial April 2012

Post by atreyu »

Last Friday November 23 was my turn to step back into the hallowed halls of the Imperial Theatre, a little over 300 days since the grand finale. I've been holding off seeing Nice Work, but my sister wanted to see Matthew Broderick while he's still the lead there. I certainly wouldn't have minded seeing Annie instead. But the 50% discount for Nice Work at the TKTS booth meant I would have to face whatever demons awaited me at 249 W. 45th Street.

As others have mentioned, for a BETM-Broadway superfan, there are many reasons why it can be a challenge to stay focused during Nice Work. In addition to familiar house staff, Billie, Bill Elliott and the hydraulic bed lift, tonight's performance was being conducted by Shawn Gough! So it was inescapable for visions of our Billy, singing and dancing across the Imperial stage, to occasionally and spontaneously take over for the present action throughout the show.

That being said, I found Nice Work to have a certain charm to it. It does, however, require a willingness to overlook a few glaring plot holes. The Jimmy Winter role fits Matthew Broderick well. A nice job - nothing outstanding, but nice - in all phases of singing, acting and dancing. Michael McGrath's Tony-winning performance grabs a bit more spotlight. As does the Gershwin music.

All told, a decent show. But of course, upon leaving the Imperial and passing by the stage door on 46th, I could not help but return to the wistful thought, What If BETM hadn't closed. While I can walk away this night with a smile at having seen Nice Work, how much bigger would the smile be if only . . .

Ah well, good thing there's only 13 days til my Austin Billy-thon. ;)
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT- Imperial April 2012

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Matthew Broderick stopped the show last Friday to chastise an audience member who was filming. This is quite a rare occasion, but I say "well done!"
Remember that record'in, film'in, or taking pho-ohs is not allowed.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/out_of_ ... t5vU8d2PQL
:/

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”