Hey from Canada

A place for new members to introduce themselves
rob_hanson1979
George

Hey from Canada

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Hey guys. I just joined the forum. HUGE Billy fan! I remember seeing the movie once in theatres and then going back and dragging friends to it!
And then I started following the news about the musical, but didn't have a chance to see it. I did buy the cast recording however, and fell in love with it. The show eventually opened on Broadway and then a tour started. Finally when I heard it was coming to Toronto, I knew I'd get to see it.
I got tickets with a friend and we we went to the show. Our seats weren't great, we were in the balcony, but we could see ok. LOVED the show! I knew how much my parents would love it, so I told them I would take them, as a treat. Because their schedule allowed for it, I bought tickets for the finale performance. It was an amazing show, and all four Billys came out during the curtain call for a special dance. AND we were sitting in the row right in front of Marcus Pei's whole family!
A couple weeks ago a friend and I went to NYC for a week, and we wanted to see a lot of Broadway shows. I told him that even though we'd seen BETM before, it was high on my priority list. So we got tickets on a tuesday night. Well, we ended up sitting in the orchestra 4th row, AMAZING! And then... it turns out that night was the shows 3rd anniversary on broadway, so during the curtain call, the 4 current Billys, the 3 original Broadway Billys, and Stephen Daldry all come out on stage. It was quite a moment, and very special to be there.
The only downside that night, is that due to the special curtain call, they didn't do the "Broadway Cares" speech or collection, which every other show was doing. I was really hoping to get some special memorabilia or autographs. Plus if they had offered a backstage tour for $150 like many other shows did, I would've paid it! Oh well!

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi! I'll try to pop in from time to time! I have noticed that many of you have seen the show MANY more times than I, but it would still be great to join in, and maybe meet some Billy friends too!!!

-Rob
dongringo
Debbie

Re: Hey from Canada

Post by dongringo »

Hi Rob, Welcome! Enjoy the forum. I know that it seems like there's some kind of hierarchy with who's seen the show the most and all, but don't worry about that. We all love BETM whether we've seen it 300 times or not at all. 8-)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Welcome to the Forum, Rob. Hope your stay here is very enjoyable. Please post whenever you can as actively participating makes it all the more fun.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Welcome to the forum, Rob. I hope you enjoy it here. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Welcome, Rob! So glad you love the show as much as we do, and as dongringo said, that love for the show matters more than the number of times we see it! I was at the anniversary show too that night and boy what a special night!!! So glad you got to see that!

Looking forward to reading more posts from you anytime! Chime in whenever, and I hope you NEVER feel like an outsider. In fact, anytime we talk about something that is unfamiliar to you, just ask on the board or by private message to the person who posted it asking for info or clarification. I've met so many wonderful people because of Billy's story and I hope you will too. You'll certainly get to know some great folks here on the forum!

Welcome!

Sean
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Thanks so much for the welcome guys, I appreciate it. I am a late started in seeing BETM but I sure to love it and appreciate it.
In fact, it was the factor that finally forced me to get up and start taking ballet! And when word spread that I was starting ballet, my friends didn't make fun of it, they wanted to join! I actually have had 5 friends join me in the class! Pretty cool eh?
I was sad to hear that the broadway show is closing, the the show will live on in London and on tour! I would love to see the show in London some day too!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Congratulations on taking up ballet and getting your friends to join you! That is awesome! It's always great to hear how BETM has inspired people to do things they wouldn't otherwise have done. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Very cool that BETM inspired you to take ballet classes and also that you got so many of your friends to join you. :D
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Thanks guys! Looks like a great forum to be a part of!
Curious to learn more about some of you and how you all fell in love with the show!
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

rob_hanson1979 wrote:Thanks guys! Looks like a great forum to be a part of!
Curious to learn more about some of you and how you all fell in love with the show!
My experience is very similar to yours: http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... f=3&t=2617

I've only seen it the seven times in Portland, but hoping to catch it again on this tour...there has to be a way...
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Return to “New Members”