Ann Emery

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ann Emery

Post by ERinVA »

It appears that Ann has stepped out of the show with no fanfare whatsoever. Gillian Elisa is now listed on the official website as Grandma:

http://billyelliotthemusical.com/cast/
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

The end of an era, so. Ann has graced this magnificent show for so long it is going to be hard to believe she has retired. When she returned to Billy after the short sojourn with Betty Blue Eyes she was even more lively (and lovely) than before. We are fortunate that her Grandma is preserved forever on Blu-ray/DVD.

Outside the theatre Ann was always a joy to say hello to. She never failed to communicate with her legion of devoted fans with a smile, a wave and a few cheerful words. The word legendary is over-used these days but Ann was just that and will be sorely missed. I thank her for the hundreds of hours of great entertainment and wish her a long and happy retirement.

Pat
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Ann is, without any question, one of the classics of British Theatre. I bet she knew the VPT in the salad days of Arthur Askey and Thora Hird. One of the greats, and so wonderful to continue when others are raising roses in Bexhill-on-Sea. Dick would be so proud of her!

God Bless, and Thank You, Ann! You are a Legend!
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

I hope her unannounced departure isn't due to ill health..
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

It seems strange that the longest standing cast member of the show has left without so much as a mention. Perhaps this is just an extended break?

She has been fantastic as Grandma.... I hope she is well, and if she does not return, I wish her the best for the future.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

I saw Ann on my first Billy show on 28th April 2005, back in preview days when the show lasted for a full three and a half hours.
She has been such a star ever since and has unceasingly been warm and approachable to fans of the show. I also saw her in 'Betty Blue Eyes' and was amazed at the energy she put into that show, having a very demanding part.
Sheepdog
Tall Boy

Post by Sheepdog »

Billys, Michaels, Debbies, Ballet Girls, Tall and Small Boys come and go... inevitably.

But Ann was such a key element of the show. It will go on... but I'll never see another Grandma without remembering Ann.

I know they are all actors, and that I have rose colored specs... but I swear that you could see a special rapport between her and the Billys, especially, of course, in the "What was he like, like?" scene.

What a treat for the kids to have been on stage with her. And she seemed to feel the converse of that.

Thank you for all the great shows. If you've chosen to retire, it is well deserved. And if it is just another break, enjoy your holiday, and be sure that we will be delighted when you return. I hope you will come for the birthday party!
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

I would like to add my gratitude to you Ann for all the enjoyment given by you and "I Wish You All The Best" and " God Bless" we will all miss you, so very much.
As Patc remarked we have got you on Blu-Ray and DVD forever.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

I guess this makes it "official":

http://www.westendframe.com/2015/01/gil ... ma-in.html

As the article states: "Gillian takes over from Ann Emery who originated the character in 2005 and who recently retired from the role at the age of 84, having worked with all 39 London Billy Elliots."

In commemoration of Ann's huge contributions to the success of the London show, here's one of my all time favorite videos -- with Ann working with the very first of her 39 Billys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMS18ShVrZw
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

It has also been announced on the Billy Elliot The Musical website

http://billyelliotthemusical.com/news/g ... y-grandma/

I hope that Ann has a long and healthy retirement.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Cast - London”