March 2012 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Sam4God
Tall Boy

Re: March 2012 Reviews - London

Post by Sam4God »

Great review, Pat :)
I saw one of Helen's very first shows as Mrs. W back when she wasn't alternate and just the 1st understudy and thought she was great! Can't wait to see her again now that she's had more shows!
113 Shows: (July 2008 - March 2016)
23 Billys: (LaytonX1, TannerX1, OllieX2, RyanX14, ScottX1, Dean-CharlesX4, AdamX16, JoshX5, KaineX8, HarrisX8, HarrisonX10, RedmandX10, TadeX2, AliX5.5, ElliottX5, BradleyX5.5, MitchellX3, MatteoX1, Ollie JX3, NatX3, Brodie X3, Thomas X1, Euan X1)
18 Michaels: (ShaunX1, Dean-CharlesX1, JakeX1, JoeX31, ReeceX15.5, Connor KellyX17.5, Connor LawsonX2, Adam VespermanX1, ThomasX5, JackX3, ZachX7.5, Tade BiesingerX1, FreddieX5.5, ZakX5, TomiX5, ToddX3, NathanX3, BenX1, BradleyX3)
13 Debbies: (MeganX1, AnnabelleX1, FrancescaX14, Emily SmithX7, Emily WilliamsX16, MacyX18, DaynaX16, MillieX12, DemiX14.5, KyriaX4, ConnieX3.5, Beatrice X2, HollieX3)
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Saturday 31st March - Both shows

Matinee: Ryan, Connor K, Francesca
Evening: Adam, Connor L, Dayna

Mrs.W: Helen French

Last night was the 7th Anniversary of the first Preview show. I'll wager a shedload of Premium Seat tickets that nobody involved with the show then could have known what the road ahead was going to be. I'll wager a years supply of B15's that nobody foresaw that, 7 years later to the day, the role of Billy would be performed by an incredibly multi-talented boy 5,000 miles from his home, Adam Vesperman, that Ann Emery would still be strutting her stuff and looking 10 years younger and that the role of Small Boy would be performed by the bravest little boy on the planet, Sammy Brentwood. At the end of last night's show Deka announced it was Sammy's last night and he asked him to step forward for a moment he will always remember and he did so to tumultuous applause. A fitting end to a wonderful day at the VPT.

At the matinee it was Ryan who took to the boards. A simple statement, perhaps, that does not even begin to describe the phenomenon that Ryan is. Never allowing himself to stand still this inventive Billy just keeps pouring it on. Dancingboy, in a previous review, mentioned a new move in Ryan's Electricity and he is correct. My initial reaction was that it looks a bit like the "Kick the Moon" move that Fox used to perform (you can see the slow-mo version of that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtiEz8X1ITE) - the move starts at 0.40 ). It happened so quickly and so incredibly smoothly that I'd have to see it again but one thing is for sure. You'd have to be superhuman (or made of elastic) to perform that sort of gravity-defying stunt. My back aches just thinking about it.

Those of us who were there for both shows yesterday got the best of both worlds because Adam's ballet Electricity was equally as mindbending and the audience, like their counterparts at the matinee, went wild with applause.

The two Connors with Francesca and Dayna all added to the day's proceedings in their own inimitable styles and, as Deka said at the end, it's the joint effort of cast and team that makes Billy what it is.

Passing the VPT at the ungodly hour of 6.45am this morning on my way to the station for Gatwick I paused momentarily. The theatre was all closed up but the Billy sign was in full glow. I thought of all the talented people who came together all day yesterday to provide such amazing entertainment and, of course, all the hard work that they had to put into rehearsals to do so. All was now silent but, tomorrow night, it will begin all over again for thousands more lucky people. Raise your glasses tonight to another 7 years - and little Sammy.

Pat
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Who would have thought that 31st March 2005 would have been the Genesis of seven years of Billy Elliot the Musical? Although Kaine would have perfectly able to carry the banner it was Adam whose testament we now applaud and whose revelation was something to behold. Not least his Angry Dance which was quite apocalyptic. In this show the scab becomes a Samaritan even if others are sometimes called Palastines. This is not going to be a Chronicle of events of Saturday evening, and certainly not an epistle but of course one of the favourite numbers is always ‘Once we were Kings’.Clearly there were no Jeremiahs around and certainly absolutely no exodus before the show finished. It was just a shame that Joshua was still not part of these proceedings. Let us hope that these seven fat years will not be followed by seven lean years.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, you WERE sat beside Jacob on Saturday evening :D
Let us hope that these seven fat years will not be followed by seven lean years.
Be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead!"

........... - I Peter 1:6

Pat
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Well, you WERE sat beside Jacob on Saturday evening :lol: :lol:

Verily, verily.

Be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead!"

........... - I Peter 1:6

And Amen to that. :D
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

patc wrote: Dancingboy, in a previous review, mentioned a new move in Ryan's Electricity and he is correct. My initial reaction was that it looks a bit like the "Kick the Moon" move that Fox used to perform (you can see the slow-mo version of that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtiEz8X1ITE) - the move starts at 0.40 ). It happened so quickly and so incredibly smoothly that I'd have to see it again but one thing is for sure. You'd have to be superhuman (or made of elastic) to perform that sort of gravity-defying stunt. My back aches just thinking about it.
Nice video of Fox Pat, wish I'd seen him perform. Like the music too - a sung version of 'Air' if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, the move you picked out does look very much like what Ryan pulled off on Saturday in another remarkable Electricity. I do miss the way he started off doing it though, when he used to hurl the bag at dad's head like an Exocet (no Falklands connection intended) and then sprang in to three incredibly tight and quick back flips that took him right to the edge of the stage and always had the audience crying out in shock.
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

A few thoughts about Saturday night to add to the erudite comments of Patc and Westletonian above. The ending of the Show was truly remarkable :D. Deka spoke about Sammy and the way in which the whole cast, together with the audience, make up the experience of Billy Elliot the Musical. He asked for votes for BETM in the Olivier awards and then declared himself to be 46 years old and about to do something that he shouldn't really do :shock:. The rest of the cast departed into the wings leaving Deka and Adam (wearing tutus) to perform a series of cartwheels across the stage! A striking way to draw proceedings to a close! Deka showed a remarkable ability to improvise in several scenes, especially with the older ballet dancer outside the audition and at the very end of the audition scene just before the disembodied voice of the casting director wishes him well with the strike. He has become a very proud dad at this point!

The audience on Saturday evening was responsive without being too shrieky. This made such a difference and it lifted the cast to new heights. There seemed to be a few absentees however in that the Ballet Girls were down to nine plus Debbie so that their Class did not really fill the stage. The ensemble of policemen/miners also seemed to be a man down. Either the Company are cutting costs(!) or some actors are not being allowed out (haha). Moreover two of the very best row B seats were left vacant which seemed a curious state of affairs. After the interval there were some readjustments to the seating of course :D.
Connor Lawson was magnificent. Somehow I think that the glasses enhance his stage presence making him even more believable as an ordinary kid in Easington who discovers that he is actually a bit different to the rest. He beat Billy to the tap shoes by a mile :) and stole Express with a lovely sense of timing. The whistle is pretty good too. Dayna has developed a distinctive take on Debbie. She is cheeky and yet resigned to being bossed about by her mum. She is clearly disappointed when Billy spurns her advances, but heigh ho there will be other boys :lol:. Her diction and timing are both excellent.
What a huge contribution Adam has made to the Show. He is up to fifteen pirouettes now at the end of Electricity which is just blinding. His background in ballet training in Seattle shines through like a beacon. He is 'very ****ing special' and so much appreciated by cast and audience alike.

Tonight, BETM begins her eighth year. Bon voyage .............................and good luck to all who sail in her.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Some great reviews there guys!

Wow...7 years! Impressive!
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Westletonion wrote:Who would have thought that 31st March 2005 would have been the Genesis of seven years of Billy Elliot the Musical? Although Kaine would have perfectly able to carry the banner it was Adam whose testament we now applaud and whose revelation was something to behold. Not least his Angry Dance which was quite apocalyptic. In this show the scab becomes a Samaritan even if others are sometimes called Palastines. This is not going to be a Chronicle of events of Saturday evening, and certainly not an epistle but of course one of the favourite numbers is always ‘Once we were Kings’.Clearly there were no Jeremiahs around and certainly absolutely no exodus before the show finished. It was just a shame that Joshua was still not part of these proceedings. Let us hope that these seven fat years will not be followed by seven lean years.
Maybe the Billys are The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

Whats happened to little Sammy??? I get the feeling somethings wrong?? Or did he just leave the show ?? xxx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1

Return to “Reviews - London”