March 2012 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: March 2012 Reviews - London

Post by porschesrule »

Glad to see you're able to have a Billython over there, pvmichaels. Looking forward to your reflections on the London show vs the American versions you've seen.
pvmichaels wrote: hoping I will be able to see all four Billy's, but looking at how weird the schedule has been lately, I don't know.
I think you stand a good chance of seeing all four Billys. Usually (though not always, especially if there's a new Billy or one leaving as we've had there the past couple of weeks and one Billy on a break) at the start of a week the four Billys each do a consecutive show (M-Th). Hope it works for you this week.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Here's a nice, very detailed review from the blog "The Faneur", though not to say the reviewer totally loved everything about the show. The reviewer saw Kaine as Billy:

http://flaneur.me.uk/03/review-billy-el ... re-london/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

porschesrule wrote:Here's a nice, very detailed review from the blog "The Faneur", though not to say the reviewer totally loved everything about the show. The reviewer saw Kaine as Billy:

http://flaneur.me.uk/03/review-billy-el ... re-london/
Possibly one of the most thorough and, as a result, one of the best reviews I have seen either side of the pond, even if I have different opinions. Any review which sees only the good (or bad) points is not a balanced review. This one is. It provokes thought.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

The children's ensemble for the current tour does a great job and seems quite professional. They have been on the tour for many months and just seem to be getting better and better.
I understand that in London there are four separate local groups that alternate as the ballet girls.This reviewer seems to blame their director for their poor role-playing. Could anyone who has seen both the tour and the London production make any constructive comments, as I have never seen London? Please do not compare the performances directly, as they are very young children.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The ballet girls do what they are directed to do. The reviewer seems to think that the director did not "control" their natural hamminess. That is not true at all. The way they play their roles is exactly as they are directed, and yes, it is basically the same in all the productions. Susan Parks, for example, does the same "spastic starfish" bit, and Tracy Atkinson just about spins herself off the stage in London, on Broadway, in Chicago/Toronto, and on the tour, all of which I have seen. I don't necessarily agree with all the directorial choices either (for example, I really dislike the ridiculous faces they make when they come to the front of the stage in "Shine" and "smile"), but I certainly don't blame the girls.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
pvmichaels
Small Boy

Post by pvmichaels »

I have been blessed to be able to see three of the billys (Adam, Harris and Kaine), and all I can say is wow. I don't have the time to write a full review, because I am hoping to see Ryan tonight, but who knows! I have two more shows left of my billython (tonight and tomorrow).

Each by has something special that makes them perfect for the role. Last night, Harris's angry dance was a fireball of emotion. Actually, all his dancing was!

I will say that there are some differences I like and don't like as you compare this version to both the US versions. I will save this until I see my last of two shows.

I also want to say thank you for those I met for making me feel welcome and discussing the show.

Mike
Broadway-
Billy- Jacob 2x, Joseph 3x, Tade 4x, Peter 4x, Alex 1x, Giuseppe 1x, Julian 2x
Michael- Jake 1x, Cameron 7x, Neil 5x, Jack 4x

North American Tour-
Billy- Daniel 2x, Giuseppe 2x, Kylend 1x, JP 1x, Ty 1x, Zach 1x, Noah 2x, Ben 2x, Mitchell 3x, Drew 1x
Michael- Griffin 2x, Jacob 4x, Cameron 2x, Sam 4x, Jake 4x

London-
Billy- Scott 1x, Ryan 4x, Adam 2x, Harris 5x, Kaine 3x, Harrison 3x, Redman 2x

Michael- Joe M 5x, Connor L 4x, Connor K 4x, Reece 3x, thomas 2x, Jack 2x
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

MATINEE THURSDAY 22nd MARCH

I really must have a jinx at the moment travelling, delayed a month ago with a jumper, this week my bleeding train caught fire so we had to quickly evacute it at Retford, 2 fire engined were needed, so we stood on the platform for 90 minutes before they sent us back south to Newark(Notts) to go back North, as our train was blocking the platform, I climbed into bed at about 3-30am, its good thing I have a good sense of humour, as at least I'll get a free travel voucher!!
Anyway lets get on with the review, as we were entering the theatre Pat c says to me "Oh look its KFC today", were does he think these things up! Yes, it was Kane, Francesca and Connor Lawson and what a great afternoons entertainment we got, helped on by some school parties in the audience.
What a wonderfull Debbie Francesca is, I believe she has done over 400 performances, she's so comfortable in that role, such great expressions ie, with the packet of biscuits and the way she jealously looks, weighing Billy up, her dictation is always so clear.
I really enjoy Simon Ray Harvey as Mr. Braithwaite he really has taken this part to his heart.
Kane has settled in real well, his performance thoughout was spot on, I noticed he really attacked the biscuits giving a sheepish look as he was having a good skoff, Also like the way he looks at the audition panel while sorting out the tape, a great finale again from him, plenty of whopps!
I like the strong whistle from Gillian Elsia when when she summons Dad and Tony in the final kitchen scene, great chemistry in Grandma's Song with Kane.
I do enjoy the way Gillian Bevan shows the bitchy yet a very carring portrayal of Mrs Wilkinson, she really wants Billy to succeed.
One a two tears from the audience near me as Connor Lawson sits on the bike seeing his best mate leave, as the final curtain comes down, another fine performance from him again.
Got to mention Deka I always admire his performance as dad, the audience love his antics in front of the fire cutain outside the audition room also after Billy has performed Electicity, the way he engages the audience in the finale, when talking about voting, for the Olivier Awards to me was brilliant.
Thanks again to all the cast for another great afternoon.

Barry

Barrys corny Joke - Tesco has announced twenty thousand new jobs to be created in the U.K.The Prime Minister of Poland has welcolmed the news.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Nice one, Barry, fabulous show yesterday - agree with everything you say. I can't take the credit for "KFC", though. That belongs to Westletonion :D .

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Friday 23 March

To say that it was a pleasure to be at the Victoria Palace Theatre on Friday night was the biggest understatement of the year. I came out of the theatre saying that I was speechless after seeing a show that was stunning and breathtaking. The reason for the hyperbole? Quite simply - Ryan Collinson, who was celebrating his 100th show as Billy in some style. At the end, though, it was the audience who were celebrating as they cheered and roared Ryan after a performance where he showed he was a Jack of All Trades and master of all.

From the very start the show was vibrant and full of energy, so much so that you were given the impression that the whole cast wanted this to be a show to remember and how well they all worked to achieve that aim.

The whole of Ryan's acting, singing and dancing was expertly delivered and I doubt very much that Ryan has given a better all-round overall perfromance than that. Ryan's Angry Dance was so powerful, his screeching and screaming so loud, that Mum must have heard it back home in Southport, but this was, as usual, accompanied by a mastery of timing throughout the number. Occasionally, there are one or two people in the audience who stand after Angry Dance to give an ovation, on Friday there must have been dozens standing (not only to stretch their legs as it was the interval) to applaud Ryan it was so good.

Ryan and Connor Lawson (Michael) gave us some lighthearted moments during Expressing Yourself, particularly after Connor gave Ryan an extra slap as he was trying to tie up the bag on Ryan's head. They laughed and giggled their way for the remaining minutes so that it became difficult for them to sing their words properly. Other numbers during the show, such as Born to Boogie, where Ryan completed several cross-overs with the skipping rope, and Dream Ballet simply went like clockwork and were so much admired by the appreciative audience.

Electricity for Ryan, of course, means only one thing and that is to show off his street-dance and acrobatic version. This he did to perfection, with the audience whooping and gasping at Ryan's tremendous agility. I also noticed an extra move in which Ryan somersaulted and twisted to land on his feet in such perfect style it could have been Tom Daley performing in the Olympic Diving competition.

Congratulations must go to Ryan in achieving the milestone of 100 shows ( in only about 11 months) and for providing the audience with so many talking points and a memorable evening for those lucky enough to witness the show.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Friday 30th March

Kaine, Connor K, Dayna

Dad: David Bardsley
Mrs. W: Helen French

No doubt about it. There's always variety and something new at Billy. The first thing I noticed on arrival last night was that Small Boy's lollipop from a previous show was firmly stuck halfway up on the black curtain. The second thing I noticed was that I was the sole occupant of Row B except for a couple of people out on the left wing.

Kaine strode on to the stage with intent. Intent to send this Friday night audience home with something to remember and this he did with style and supreme confidence in a performance that I rate as his best ever. This was get-up-and-go with a vengeance. The first half ended with a ferocious Angry Dance. Such anger, such power, such great dancing. When the point in the dance arrived for him to slide to the edge of the stage to pick up the tiles to fling at the shields he came in at an angle heading in my direction. It was like standing at the end of a runway and seeing a 747 cominatcha at 160 odd knots. For one brief moment I thought he was going to shoot right over Chris Hatt's head and land in my lap but his brakes were in great order. His superb Electricity was the crowning moment of the night.

David Bardsley played Dad in the style that the regulars of yore know and love over the years.

Helen French, WOW. Hers was a fabulous portrayal of Mrs. W. It was my first time seeing Helen in this role and, like Kieran Jae's rise to stardom as Tony, she fits the part like a glove.

Connor Kelly gave us yet another great classic Michael experience and little Dayna was dynamite as Debbie. The Ballet Girls bubbled like bubbly all night.

And then we had the incredible Ann Emery to enjoy as well. Sure, aren't we spoiled rotten at the VPT.

On a musical note, when the Angry Dance music began, the opening guitar riffs sounded a bit different last night but then all morphed into the usual pulsating affair that it is. I'd love to be in the band for that number. :D

I was reminded by text this morning that today is the 7th Anniversary of the 1st preview. I'm really looking forward to two great shows today to complete a mini Billython but, before I go, a big vote of thanks to Kaine and all of last night's superb performers and musicians for a great evening's entertainment full of everything we know and love about this amazing show.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”