Post by kport »

[quote="AJ HOLDEN"]Thursday 19th April

Post removed.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Re: April 2012 Reviews - London

Post by Rich B »

Alex, I'll be over in 3 weeks for a few shows so I'll let you know afterwards if you're spot on or not. :lol: For me, even though the North American productions have been stellar, there's something special about seeing BETM in the 'mother church' of the VPT. ;)

Rich
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Couple points on the AJ's examples from the tour. The timing used to be HORRIBLE on the tour, way rushed but now it's almost right on and Ive always said he tours specialty is great acting Billy's(it has to be on purpose). And the applause on the line supporting the arts always confused me, I only have heard it on the tour. It's the set up line for the next joke. Then someone told me its the subscribers applauding who ARE supporting the arts.:)D
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I have split out the conversation about the relationship between "Management," "Forum," and individuals occasioned by Alex's comments to a new thread in order to keep this reviews thread on track. To continue the discussion, go to this link: http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... 664#p71664

Thanks. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

I've been out of the country for three weeks so haven't seen the show for the past month or been able to read many posts on here in the mean time. I was therefore concerned to catch up on so much negativity on here yesterday regarding some people's current views of the show in London and the theatre-going experience they have there. I managed to get a row C seat for a reduced price yesterday evening when I had returned from my travels and am not just saying this but yesterday's show was in my opinion one of the strongest I've seen in nearly 100 visits worldwide. The sound produced (are there new speakers or sound engineering?) was rich and full; the delivery of lines had meaning and pace but was not rushed as it has sometimes been in the past year; the cast was vibrant and interactive with both each other and with the strong, appreciative and supportive audience.

I'm not someone who visits the stage door or who wants/expects/elicits anything from the cast other than their performance on stage - I usually show my appreciation from within the theatre. I do though follow Michael Peavoy, the VP and BE London on Twitter and did publicly thank him and them for a great show via that route - to which I got a reply on this occasion and have in the past been retweeted. To me this doesn't suggest a Production or a Company who are averse to occasional exchanges with audience members who have enjoyed the show. I can understand though the Production and Company's perceived reaction to and maybe possible concern about some of the more persistent engagement that may appear to be solicited by some very frequent visitors to the show - but that is the subject of another thread.

I am not sure therefore which show people who have commented that the production has lost its way, is clinical in its delivery, rushed, non-interactive and being watched by an audience who won't go home and tell their friends and family how much they enjoyed it are seeing. Certainly not the show I watched yesterday evening that's for sure. Everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion on these matters and this is just mine. I haven't commented after a show for a long time really but wanted to post in support of what I saw at the VP last night to temper some of the less positive recent posts elsewhere.

Let's look forward now to the show celebrating the 7th anniversary, the rumoured 'gala show' and the 3000th milestone all coming up in the coming months.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Born to Boogie, I am glad you got to see a good show and thanks fo reviewing it. ''Expressing yourself'' is what the Forum is all about.

Return to “Reviews - London”