May 2012 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

May 2012 Reviews - London

Post by Billy Whiz »

Here is a place for May's reviews.

With the 7th Birthday show on May 12th and the Gala Performance on May 30th let's hope for lots of reviews this month.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
chris mcglade
Audience Member

Re: May 2012 Reviews - London

Post by chris mcglade »

INow I know that this isn't a review of one of the shows but...

To all from the forum who showed me kindness and support during my time in BETM...

Now then everyone,"Ladies and Gentlemen, Lads and Lasses, welcome to the second half of the easington district miners welfare, and temporary soup kitchen annual christmas party" Im posting on this review page so that hopefully, everyone will see it.

Posting on the forum is something that I have been meaning to do since I finished in Billy last November, its probably the only posting I will ever make. I wanted to post just to say thankyou to you all for all the kind words and support that you offered me when I was in Billy. As a standup comedian, being given a part in a real, live west end musical was a dream come true. My first love, when I was a kid, had always been acting and I kind of stumbled across standup by accident really. I love the freedom that standup provides me as a performer, but the experience and discipline of being in a west end show, I feel, has benefitted me greatly.

Moving to London for a year and being away from my family was very hard but I was able to cope with that because firstly, I loved being in Billy so much, secondly, the cast and creatives and everyone involved with the show were fab and thirdly, because you people, the paying public, the folks that really matter, were always so very kind to me. I, unlike others, always regarded you as the best critics of the show. Not only have you watched it more than anyone else, you paid for the privellege many times over and that has to be applauded in my book.

Some viewed you with suspicion, others ridcule because you watch the same show night afer night but I never looked at things that way. I love Bruce Springsteen. During the last 27 years, I have travelled around the world to see him in excess of 50 times whenever he has toured, Im going to his three english shows this year and in Ireland and France too! Ive camped outside his hotel and waited outside arenas for three days so I got best seats when the box offfice opened and done all that other obsessive stuff because he floats my boat. When something floats ya' boat then you have to indulge yourself I think and you people, who have obviously been touched by something in Billy Elliot in the same way as I have by Bruce Springsteen, are no different. It could be worse, you could be touched by Barry Manilow!!! :lol:

I used to love seeing pat and the other lads on the front row on a Thursday afternoon and I always read your reviews on this site for your critique because if I was still pleasing you guys week in and week out, then chances were I would be pleasing the rest of the audience who were seeing it for the first time and so, for me, it was job done. I wasn't the strongest singer in the world and I couldnt dance to save me fuckin' life, but I like to think that my comic timing and my ability to act came shining through and that you enjoyed my performances. I did have a long period out through tearing tendons in my shoulder and then through my dads murder, but I always strove to try and get back on stage as quickly as I could.

That was the most difficult time of my life.

I desperately wanted to have and feel the love and support of my family around me constantly, I wanted to sit quietly and do nothing, going on stage was the last thing that I wanted to do, but I like to consider myself as a professional and going back on stage to make people laugh was not only what I had to do but what I needed to do. I received an awful lot of support from the cast, crew, creatives and people in charge of Billy, but I also received a huge amount of support and love from you guys and for this, no matter where I go and what I do in my career, I will never forget that.

I cannot fully express my feelings of gratitude to you all, save to say that I knew that you were all rooting for me and when I stepped out on stage three weeks after my dads murder when so many thought that I would not return, the love and support from all of you just blew me away.

I am an honest, sincere and emotional man who wears his heart on his sleeve and I want you all to know how much you meant to me and at that time especially. I still have my photo pat, though its not framed yet and more than that I have my memories. I have London representation now too and am on the verge of getting major representation for my comedy and so I aim to keep you all informed of my movements professionally via this site and if any of you would like to come and see me in anything else Im doing, that is if youre not too busy watching Billy, then just come along and we'll have the crack!

From the bottom of my heart I just want to say thankyou to you all and I want you to know that youre in my heart and thoughts always.

Peace and Godbless,

Chris McGlade.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thank you so much for your message, Chris. It was so very nice to hear from you that the loyalty of forum members to you and to the show was a positive experience that helped you to feel supported throughout a very difficult time. And YES ! Please keep us informed about any upcoming appearances and events in your life so that we can continue to support you. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

What a lovely post from a really genuine guy.
chris mcglade wrote:I still have my photo pat, though its not framed yet and more than that I have my memories.
I know exactly which photo of Pat he means as I took it :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

It is really nice to get that very positive message from Chris who is a real gentleman, through and through. The sentiments he expressed says it all. I would most certainly like to hear of his further ventures in theatre in London and I feel sure many others would as well.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

TNS (The National Student) has this review of the London show, with Ryan as Billy:

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Arts_ ... mU.twitter
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

porschesrule wrote:TNS (The National Student) has this review of the London show, with Ryan as Billy:

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Arts_ ... mU.twitter
That page seems to have been removed. :(
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I cannot believe that it is May 12th and this is the first review of the month :(

Thursday, May 10th – evening performace.

Billy – Kaine
Michael – Connor Lawson
Debbie – Macy
Tony – Kieran Jae
Grandma – Gillian Elisa

It was my first time in the VP for a few months and I took my seat with anticipation. I have never seen Kieran perform as Tony before and was really looking forward to his “take” on the role.

This was my second time seeing Kaine and he was wonderful. His acting and singing were terrific. Dream Ballet with the ever reliable Barnaby was a sheer delight. Perfect timing from Kaine and Barnaby throughout. From the Billy’s perspective Electricity is the Tour de Force and Kaine did not disappoint. Wonderful ballet moves with incredibly high kicks and terrific gymnastics thrown in - it doesn't get any better than that.

Connor is a terrific Michael and will be sadly missed. He has an impish look on his face all of the time and you are never quite sure what he is going to come out with – which is all part of the fun. I love Connor’s portrayal of Michael in the final scene when he is alone on stage on his bike. He always looks so sad – which of course he is as his best friend is leaving.

Macy is a real trouper as Debbie. A wonderful actress who strops around the stage. Her delivery of her lines is perfect and I am sure that she is here for a long time to come.

This, as I have already stated, is the first time seeing Kieran as Tony. All I can say is WOW! Absolutely brilliant. His acting and singing are top notch and the scene towards the end when he tells Billy that all the pits will be closed in all the villages is gut wrenching. I could sit and watch Kieran play the part of Tony all the time.

I have seen Gillian play grandma before and she is great. She does not come across quite as dotty as Ann but I’m sure that is deliberate. I especially love the whistle when she is shouting “post”.

I have always believed that if you cannot say anything good about someone then don’t say anything – so I think that is enough about Gillian Bevan as Mrs W.

Over the years I have seen many people play the part of Dad and Deka is right up there with the best of them. He really is so believable in the part. In the scene when he hits Tony, the punch was the most realistic I have ever seen.

The ensemble were brilliant as always. Special mention to Mike Scott who plays the Scab and also Posh Dad. He has so many wig changes during the show he must struggle to keep up with which part he is playing at times.

This show was the last for a lot of the “unsung heroes” the Ballet Girls. They, as always, gave their all. They are such good actors that it is totally believable that they are totally useless – which we all know is not true. I always like that Susan Parks, who is made out to be the most useless of all, dances in the Finale, giving her the opportunity to show people that she really can dance. Well done girls – you should all be proud of yourselves. Well done to Matthew as Tall Boy in his final performance as well.

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Friday, May 11th, 2012

Billy – Harris
Michael – Joe
Debbie – Dayna
Tony – Kieran Jae

Another brilliant show at the Mother Church. It was only the second time that I have had the pleasure of seeing both Harris and Dayna and I was not disappointed.

Harris is a true triple threat with wonderful acting, singing and dancing. Angry Dance and Dream Ballet were spectacular. I can see a bright future ahead for this very talented young man.

Joe is a fantastic Michael. Where they keep digging up these talented comic geniuses (or is that genii?) from I do not know but long may it last.

They say that big things come in small packages. Well Dayna is living proof of that. Dayna is a truly wonderful actor. Her diction is clear and her delivery is perfect.

At the end of Express I had to dash out of the theatre as I was having a coughing fit. When I returned they had stopped the show. I thought how nice it was of the management to stop the show for me so that I would not miss anything :) My delight was short lived when I discovered that there had been a technical hitch which was soon fixed.

It was great to see the amazing Ann Emery playing grandma. How she manages to perform night after night is beyond me. I just hope that when I get to her age I am still breathing, never mind doing what she does.

Best wishes to all the Ballet Girls who will be leaving at the end of tonight’s (May 12th) show. I have been saying for years that the Ballet Girls are the “unsung heroes” of the show and nothing has happened to change my mind. Enjoy the performance and for the last time – knock ‘em dead.

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I am sure the board last night said Reece was Michael, but it was definitely Joe who was on. He and Harris made an excellent pair.
I was very impressed with them both, and I was especially impressed by what an excellent actor Harris is. He is always "in the moment" and I think he really embodies Billy's character beautifully.

I was delighted to see Ann Emery again. The woman sitting next to me could not believe it when I told her that Ann is in her 80's. She and her friend had come down from South Shields. This was their first time seeing the show, and they both loved it. One amusing note: As the pit boss was calling out the scabs' names, when he got to "Davidson," my neighbor answered "Here!" :lol: I asked her if that was her name, and she said yes. :D
Ellen

Return to “Reviews - London”