patc
Mrs Wilkinson

September 2012 Reviews

Post by patc »

Saturday Evening 1st September

Ryan/Joe/Dayna

Mrs. W: Steph Parry
Tony: Kieran Jae

This evening saw the last flight of Ryan Era. On arrival at the terminal the check-in area was buzzing with excitement. On board, prior to the flight, lots of familiar faces stood around wearing Ryan Era Badges and mingling with former Billys Josh, Scott and Dean-Charles who, on this occasion, were up front in the first class seating area. Throughout the rest of the aircraft, current and former young cast members, some with their folks, enhanced the atmosphere no end. Those onboard not in the know must have wondered "What the hell is going on here".

All was eventually revealed when David Massey arrived on stage with a tribute to Ryan and thanks to his parents and family. A hush descended as we prepared for takeoff and Small Boy climbed the ladder to the flight deck. It was time for chocks away and seatbelts fastened for a rollercoaster of a ride.

The aircraft shook with the cheers as soon as Ryan came into view but a further hush descended as we taxyed out. Ryan then took us up and held us spellbound ever so gently on a flight that was smooth with only occasional turbulence. That is, until about an hour and fifteen minutes into the first phase of the flight when all hell suddenly broke loose. If what happened next had taken place on a real aircraft then F-16's would have been instantly deployed. Ryan's Angry Dance is already legendary but this one surpassed every one he has done before. This was stage rage at its furiest. His dancing feet sounded like machine guns. I'm surprised the rising hut is still in one piece. Such was the force that Ryan used against the shields the row was split into two. The two parts had to be hastily patched together. The floor tiles ripped through the air propelled onwards by screams that offered no mercy. Cue a thunderous standing ovation.

In the second phase Ryan and Barnaby sent the passengers into ecstasy with a flight within a flight. Ryan is no longer a wee lad but Barnaby's graceful strength and determination saw this one through with perfection. The man is a genius.

Having already witnessed such an intense and powerful Angry Dance I'm sure everyone was thinking ahead to Electricity. What is he going to do with that? Now I am really lost for words. Spurred on by the audience and, knowing this was the very last time, he pushed the throttles forward to max thrust and supersonic flight. I'll never forget it and I doubt anyone else will either. As was always the case with Ryan he was not content with "the usual" and even included an extra spectacular gravity-defying move that, if you blinked, you might have missed it such was its split-second execution. Cue another thunderous standing ovation that lasted for ages with Ryan looking on unbelievingly at this response.

After that extravaganza there was nothing else to do but sit back in your seat and wipe the tears of departures from your eyes.

This was another one of those special evenings to remember. The somewhat depleted cast on the night did an amazing job as, indeed, they had already done for the matinee, and backed Ryan to the hilt. Too many names to mention but really special kudos must go to Steph Parry who, with both Gillian and Helen absent, played a fantastic Mrs. W in both shows. And I really mean fantastic.

I would like to thank Ryan's Mum for bringing Ryan out not once but twice for long photo and autograph sessions with the fans. Ryan was still in cracking form outside with kind words for everyone and the patience of Job. He is a boy who is, obviously, perfectly at ease in any company young or old and this will stand him in good stead in the future. I wish him and his lovely family the very best of everything. They deserve nothing less.

How can you thank someone enough for making your life so much better? Well, you can't, really. Ryan took us all on an unforgettable 16-month flight of fancy. Sooner or later these growing boys have to move on but their Billys live on among all those twinkling stars above. Ryan's star burns brightly tonight.

Pat
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: September 2012 Reviews

Post by kport »

Great review, Pat. I had the pleasure of seeing Ryan play on four occasions. He really 'got' the role. Always a smile, too. I also wish him and his family every success for the future. Being Billy is a pretty good thing to add to that CV!
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Wow what a great review Patc! I love the airplane analogy. It works so well here. :D
:/
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

A big Thank You Pat! for that superb review, this one is the tops!
So glad you all had a great night.

Barry
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Thanks for great review Pat, you have truly captured the mood of what must have been a fantastic evening.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Wowzell
Tall Boy

Post by Wowzell »

Spectacular review, Pat! I'm still upset that I couldn't be there, but by the sounds of things Ryan put on an incredible show!

Good luck with the future Ryan.
London: Harris x2, Adam x1, Kaine x1.

'In everything you do, always be yourself... and you always will be true'
MegaBillyfan
George

Post by MegaBillyfan »

What a wonderful review - I`m still sad that I couldn`t be there but now I`ve a little impression of Ryan`s fantastic last show! (I had a little tear in my eye reading :( ) Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. And of course - once again - all the best for Ryan!
London: 27 shows (Ryan 2* - my first Billy, Dean, Kaine 4*, Adam, Redmand 4*, Harrison 3*, Harris 2*, Tade 3*, Ali 2*, Matteo, Ollie, Bradley, Nat, Euan - my last Billy)

I can´t really explain it, I haven´t got the words
It´s a feeling that you can´t control ...
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Pat, that was certainly no flight of fancy. An excellent review, as always. By the way, I thought I saw some repairmen at the theatre at about midnight, they were there working on the roof that had come away, after Ryan's Angry Dance.
It was great to see three former Billys in the front row supporting their friend Ryan and cheering him to the echo throughout the show.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

I echo everything that has been said. This was REAL theatre - theatre at its very best and I defy anyone to say they have ever seen anything better. Ryan has always been the super showman. He summoned up every ounce of excess energy to give the performance of a lifetime - an Angry Dance and an Electricity simply like you couldn't believe. Talk about going out on a high! Quite airborne as Pat has indicated.

Also what a super family. Ryan's Dad and Mum spending such a lot of time with the fans. Great also to see three ex-Billys cheering their pal on from the front row.

This night will live on in the memory for a long time to come. The very best of good wishes to Ryan and his family for the future.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Just got home (on Ryanair :D ) to read all your very kind comments, thank you. Every word was 100% inspired by the magnificence of what we saw from Ryan last night.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”