jacob
Ballet Girl

Re: September 2012 Reviews

Post by jacob »

Wednesday September 5th 2012

Harrison
Thomas Moore (debut)
Macy

Another night, another Michael! Thomas is from Doncaster and although the programme doesn't give his age I would say no more than eleven. Congratulations are due on a most successful debut. It is wonderful to see the level of support from all the other cast when a child performer joins the 'family.' This Michael added his own touches to the role and performed with lots of spirit. Thomas seemed to experience difficulty in getting into his tutu in the Winter scene but whether this was part of his characterisation or an actual tussle with the costume I wouldn't like to say. I was a little disappointed that he was not introduced to the audience on his First Night as it is customary to do so. He will add a lot to the Show I am sure.

There were a lot of alternates in the adult cast which was however up to full numerical strength ;) No doubt some of the cast are still on their summer break. There were scenes where I did not think the adults gelled terribly well but I am sure it must be confusing to switch from playing one role to another ie From Dad to George, two very different characters. I noticed that although Barnaby was on stage in many scenes he did not dance Older Billy in the aerial scene. Having said that the audience definitely gelled! The House was about three quarters full and the audience were quite magnificent with roars of laughter and prolonged applause at many points during the evening. There were a couple of incidents in the Finale however. Thomas slipped and fell as he turned to move back for his lift prior to the curtain. Well done to him for recovering and carrying on and it was good to see that he seemed none the worse when he left the theatre. Then, approaching the final final cutain Harrison appeared, a solitary figure on stage with no shoes on just socks :o. There was no forward roll just a walk forward beckoning the cast on to take their bows. Maybe the stage had become slippery? No doubt it will have been explained in the show report.

I am increasingly intrigued by Harrison's interpretation of Billy Elliot. He experiences the most intense emotions. His Billy seems like a volcano with his internal pressures rising and rising until he explodes. The negative reactions of his family to his ambition to become a ballet dancer infuriate him to such an extent that he erupts in the Angry Dance. You can almost feel his frustration and empathise with him when he hurls bricks at the police shields. Then he hurls himself around the stage. The same sort of frustration builds during the RBS audition scene. Posh Dad with his Thomas, the snobby,condescending audition panel and even the stage hand who takes his tape are all against him. Then the audition piece goes all wrong :x . Harrison finally erupts in desperation with his street Electricity. Last night this was received with prolonged tumultuos applause and a standing ovation. He smiled ...........................and smiled. Each Billy is special and, although this is a cliche, Harrison is 'very ****ing special.'

Another memorable evening, and I just caught my train :D
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Jacob for your excellent review. It would seem that the company have another great find in Thomas.

I am down in London again in a few weeks. I have one new Billy and two new Michaels to catch up on so I hope I manage to catch at least one of them - if not all three.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

jacob wrote:Another night, another Michael! Thomas is from Doncaster and although the programme doesn't give his age I would say no more than eleven.
According to his bio in the press announcement, Thomas is 10 (as is Jack Bromage-Eccles).
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks, Jacob, for your brilliant and interesting review and letting us know your first impressions of Thomas. I look forward to seeing him perform soon. Harrison, too, as he has "escaped the net" for nearly two months now.

I was a little disappointed that he was not introduced to the audience on his First Night
I agree entirely. The same thing happened last week with Jack except he got an intro from Deka just before he gave his charity speech at the end. But, now that I think about it, I'm reasonably sure that Jack's name was not actually mentioned. Just that it was "his" first show.

Pat
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday matinee 6th September

Redmand, Connor Kelly, Macy
Tony: Kieran Jae
George: David Bardsley
Grandma: Gillian Elisa

Almost three years ago to the day I spent a most enjoyable day out in Portsmouth and went on an interesting harbour cruise with nearly all the fleet in. There were lots of heavy buoys floating on the rough-ish waters. Today’s matinee saw a feather-light Portsmouth boy floating - this time around the VPT – propelled and guided by a taut wire and Barnaby - a magnificent spectacle. Perhaps it was only an optical illusion but it seemed that this boy soared much higher and wider than usual, so wide that any wider and he’d have landed on a barstool in the Stage Door Pub. (I’m assuming they have barstools in there as I’ve never been inside).

And so it came to pass that it was Redmand who thrilled the matinee crowd for the second week running with a superb display of multi-facetted dancing. Whether it was with Connor in Expressing, Mrs. W/Mr.B in B2B, Angry Dance or Electricity he nailed them all to a grateful floor. It’s what floors are for.

Connor was in mega form. He got so much fun last week out of the too-small tutu that they gave him I wondered would they do it again so he could give a repeat performance. He did give a repeat performance but this time with a bigger tutu but still small enough for him to extract the most fun out of the situation. In the old days they used to give Michael the tutu belonging to (and “smelling like”) Tracey Atkinson but I reckon that won’t happen again while the Michael’s continue to be, erm, smaller in stature.

Macy had a great time doing stuff I’m sure she wouldn’t attempt at home and had a very funny if rather short Toilet scene. Redmand took very little time to “come to a decision”. The Ballet girls gave Redmand a tough time of it – all done with their perfectly nice smiles of course.

The adult cast was back to more or less full strength with the return of some of the stars who were absent last week. A full 13 coppers for Solidarity (up from 11 last week). Kieran Jae continues to impress as Tony. Dawn Buckland was back in the RBS hot seat with all her twinkling eyes and posh facial expressions. Gillian Elisa took over Grandma’s role in her own wonderful and inimitable style.

If Redmand was a member of the English cricket team he would by now have most likely been nicknamed “Redders” but I wouldn’t stoop so low. However, his initials do rather describe his performances even this soon into his Billy career.

Pat
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 13th September

Matinee
Harris, Joe, Dayna

Evening
Harrison, Conor Kelly, Millie

Both shows
Mrs. W: Helen French
Grandma: Gillian Elisa
Dead Mum: Steph Parry
Big Davey: Craig Armstrong

Who needs Prince 'arry? We had two King 'arrys at the other Palace today in the shape of and in the order of Harris and Harrison and the lucky audiences present got high-class royal entertainment.

Harris and Harrison are very different Billys and, therefore, anyone who attended both shows saw the best of both worlds. One concludes that there is no other show in town that can provide one with such variety - even in the tiny moments such as when Harris walked in with Dad at the beginning there was a "minor altercation" between him and Tony. When Harrison walked in with Dad the spat with Tony almost ended in fisticuffs. You cannot afford to lose concentration or even blink or you miss something.

Of course, one of the main differences is Electricity. Harris has worked very hard in developing his graceful ballet version over time and now has the confidence to "go for it" at the final spins. It was sheer pleasure to watch it all unfold.

Harrison's unique street version explodes across the stage and continues at pace with backache-inducing twists and turns until the final flip off the board. Magic to behold. If he ever returns to Notts County FC in the future he should try some fancy shots from that back-flip mid-air position. That would draw the crowds in. Pelé eat your heart out.

The two Princes and Court Jesters, Joe and Connor K, lorded it over their respective Billys in two brilliant and entertaining Expressings. Joe was unfortunate in that his mic remained strangely muted for his final two sentences at the end of the show but he didn't let it interfere with his farewell to Billy.

Princesses, Dayna and Millie, were a bundle of fun (and mischief) and threw their hearts and souls into the proceedings in their own very unique styles. Great to see that they are allowed to be unique just as the Billys and Michaels are.

Helen turned in two stunning and classic Mrs. Wilkinsons. The final held note in Shine was truly memorable. What a voice.

Simon Ray Harvey was hilariously funny as Mr. B. He is extraordinarily light on his feet and he makes the skipping look very easy.

The Ballet girls were up to their usual tricks. If the little girl in the red jacket, who screams the scream as Mrs. W makes her first entrance, were to scream similarly in the VP bar then every glass and bottle would immediately shatter into a million pieces. It's a mindbender. If a Spastic Starfish could dance it would look like Susan Parks in action. Brilliant. Tracey Atkinson showed it was possible to spin off the stage without actually spinning off the stage. All done with consummate skill.

I enjoyed every second of both shows. All the usual emotions were evoked by a cast that has brought the show to new levels over the past ten months and to whom we owe immeasurable thanks.

Harris and Harrison have brought their own performances to new levels, too. Thanks to both of them for making my day. I am looking forward with gusto to the next level next time around as they further hone their skills. It will be worth waiting for.

I didn't see their Majesties arrive at the theatre today so I can't say if they came in the State Gold Coach but they certainly earned the right to return home in it.

Pat
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

As always, Pat, a very creative and enjoyable read. Thanks!!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

patc wrote:when Harris walked in with Dad at the beginning there was a "minor altercation" between him and Tony. When Harrison walked in with Dad the spat with Tony almost ended in fisticuffs. You cannot afford to lose concentration or even blink or you miss something.
Okay, you've made me curious. There is no altercation between Billy and Tony at the beginning when the show is staged over here in the states. What exactly is that like in the Mother Church production?
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

This seemed to start last November at the time of cast changes. Michael Peavoy, as Tony, will often grab Billy by the scruff of the neck or by the lapels and almost throw him on to the chair. Some of the Billys, I have seen, aim a blow or two at Tony. To me, it is quite unnecessary.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY MATINEE 13th SEPTEMBER

Great reviews as usual Pat, "Its the way you tell em" I haven't seen Harrision yet, so I'm really looking forward to that occasion, as far as the matinee, Yes young Brave Heart, Harris was spot on, Aberdeen should be so proud of him. He shows so much determination in Electricity, enjoys his Dream Ballet, with energy,temper and frustration in Angry Dance, I enjoyed his performance throught, "Well Done"
Simon Ray Harvey just makes B2B so funny with his antics, he really is an outstanding Mr Braithwaite and I tell you what, he can't half skip!
Dayna performance as Debbie for me was great, she looks so mischievous, love the stomping around, also her facial expressions of disgust for not having her own way especially when she has the chokie biscuits taken off her.
I felt a little sorry for Joe when the mic was off in the final curtain because he always shows so much emotion, ready to shread a few tears when saying goodbye to his best mate.
Again a Big Thank You all the cast for another great show also to Pat for your reviews, "love em"
Must go, off now to what we call the end of the world, Spurn Point, see if you can find it on the map.

Barry

Barry's corny gag - I said to my wife "can you get me a newspaper" she replied "don't be silly you can use my i pad"------
Boy, am I in trouble now, but that spider won't be bothering me anymore.

Return to “Reviews - London”