September 2012 Reviews

Reviews of the show
angelenroute
Billy

Re: September 2012 Reviews

Post by angelenroute »

dancingboy wrote:This seemed to start last November at the time of cast changes. Michael Peavoy, as Tony, will often grab Billy by the scruff of the neck or by the lapels and almost throw him on to the chair. Some of the Billys, I have seen, aim a blow or two at Tony. To me, it is quite unnecessary.
Ahh, okay, that's what I pretty much imagined the way it was originally described, but I wasn't sure. I suppose some horseplay would help paint them better as brothers, as most of the U.S. Tonys have been played by actors outside the appropriate age range. Can't speak for London though of course as I only saw it there once back in 2007 and hadn't noticed any problem. Too much fighting and it's just an unnecessary distraction to the beautiful buildup in that first scene.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

An interesting review in The National Student:

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Arts% ... sical.html
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

angelenroute wrote:
dancingboy wrote:This seemed to start last November at the time of cast changes. Michael Peavoy, as Tony, will often grab Billy by the scruff of the neck or by the lapels and almost throw him on to the chair. Some of the Billys, I have seen, aim a blow or two at Tony. To me, it is quite unnecessary.
Ahh, okay, that's what I pretty much imagined the way it was originally described, but I wasn't sure. I suppose some horseplay would help paint them better as brothers, as most of the U.S. Tonys have been played by actors outside the appropriate age range. Can't speak for London though of course as I only saw it there once back in 2007 and hadn't noticed any problem. Too much fighting and it's just an unnecessary distraction to the beautiful buildup in that first scene.
The same thing happened on Thursday evening (13th) leaving Harrison to shake his arm as if in pain. The lifting of Billy into the air (when the real content of the Royal Ballet School letter is disclosed) and then thumping him to the floor to be tickled is in my view totally unnecessary, a health and safety risk, and above all adds little to the drama.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Barry Appleby wrote:THURSDAY MATINEE 13th SEPTEMBER

Great reviews as usual Pat, "Its the way you tell em" I haven't seen Harrision yet, so I'm really looking forward to that occasion, as far as the matinee, Yes young Brave Heart, Harris was spot on, Aberdeen should be so proud of him. He shows so much determination in Electricity, enjoys his Dream Ballet, with energy,temper and frustration in Angry Dance, I enjoyed his performance throught, "Well Done"
Simon Ray Harvey just makes B2B so funny with his antics, he really is an outstanding Mr Braithwaite and I tell you what, he can't half skip!
Dayna performance as Debbie for me was great, she looks so mischievous, love the stomping around, also her facial expressions of disgust for not having her own way especially when she has the chokie biscuits taken off her.
I felt a little sorry for Joe when the mic was off in the final curtain because he always shows so much emotion, ready to shread a few tears when saying goodbye to his best mate.
Again a Big Thank You all the cast for another great show also to Pat for your reviews, "love em"
Must go, off now to what we call the end of the world, Spurn Point, see if you can find it on the map.

Barry

Barry's corny gag - I said to my wife "can you get me a newspaper" she replied "don't be silly you can use my i pad"------
Boy, am I in trouble now, but that spider won't be bothering me anymore.
Thank you Pat and Barry for your excellent reviews of Thursday Matinee. This was my third time seeing Harris and in confidence he has come on in leaps and bounds and adds his very own special interpretation to the role as a very engaging Billy. A very nice singing voice as well which is not surprising considering his familial ancestry. He also holds his ballet poises perfectly.

Just a brief comment on the evening show. This was my 4th time seeing Harrison and the main factor I noted was a marked reduction in the level of emotion he brings to the role. This was the stand-out factor for me (as well as his angry dance). One wonders if the emotion has been deliberately tempered by the Company to avoid burn-out. If so I must confess it left me with mixed feelings. Overall though Harrison's performances are of a very high standard as Jacob described so well the other week.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Here's a review from a student at the University of Kent:

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Arts_ ... sical.html
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
purplefrog5679
Audience Member

Post by purplefrog5679 »

I think every actor has a right to play the scene how they think is best. As long as they are consistent I do not think it matters a great deal! Michael Peavoy begins the show with this sort of rapport and continues the show with it. For example the heavy handed tickling in the RBS acceptance letter scene.
Wowzell
Tall Boy

Post by Wowzell »

Deanfan5 wrote:The same thing happened on Thursday evening (13th) leaving Harrison to shake his arm as if in pain.
are you sure that this 'reaction' is not just part of the performance, and isn't a genuine pain? It's probably just acting, is it not?
London: Harris x2, Adam x1, Kaine x1.

'In everything you do, always be yourself... and you always will be true'
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Knowing how good an actor Harrison is then I'm pretty sure he was/is acting at this point. However, Mr Peavoy can be very heavy-handed at times with the Billys.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Wednesday 19 September and Thursday 20 September (matinee)

I was quite surprised to see Harrison Dowzell performing at both these shows and having seen them I have to admire what I saw, although I have to admit to seeing him perform several times before. Watching Harrison you can see that there is an intenseness about the way he performs on stage and right from the start he seems to command the stage. There is no doubt that Harrison does get wrapped up in playing the part of Billy, but you can see the passion and the pain written on his face and above all you can see the enjoyment within him. There is a believability about his whole performance.

For one so young Harrison's acting ability has to be admired. During both shows I was watching closely when he was with the ballet girls in Shine and Solidarity and the way he brought out the awkwardness and clumsiness of a ' no hoper', with two left feet and no sense of rhythm, was quite superb. Then, having at last conquered the pirouette Harrison's beaming smile said it all -' Look what I have achieved, against the odds'.

Harrison is also very good at using intonations in his voice to stress words and phrases to bring out their meaning. The Letter scene was perfectly acted out with just the right amount of emotion, Harrison again using his voice to good effect to bring out that emotion. Then, in the pre-Angry Dance scene Harrison showed the pain onhis face as he was dragged up to the table by Tony and when witnessing the argument between Tony and Mrs Wilkinson. What followed was an extremely noisy, but well executed Angry Dance.

The remainder of both shows saw Harrison performing at the top of his form with the audiences in raptures after he completed his hip-hop street style Electricity. Again, when singing the words during this number Harrison's use of facial expressions and his voice make the words become so much more effective.

''He could be a star, for all we know'', says Dad during the show. I have no doubt that Harrison will be, in the years to come.
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

SATURDAY MAT 2.30PM

BILLY==============REDMAND
MICHAEL=========== THOMAS
DEBBIE = ==========DAYNA

My 41st show started at 2.32pm, and what a show! 1st time to see Redmand and 1st time to see Thomas,
After the below par May show that I saw, the June and July shows were better, and this one was well above par, one of the best I've seen for a time
Redmand plays his part as Billy very well coming over at times as a very angry Billy
His "dance" in the boxing scene was very funny, and Thomas part was well played
Shine seemed more energenic then was usual as was solidarity,
Expressig yourself, Thomas is quite a small Michael, but he plays his part well esp. as redmand is taller then him!
The "bunter" in the pantomime scene seems to be very short now, I was hopeing the he would mention to the woman 3 seats from me, who was texing several times duing the show, that phones were like house bricks in 1984, as he has done before but he didn't this time
The dream scene was very good, and Redmand "flying" well across the stage and enjoying it
Electricity: a brilliant ballet type electicity very well performed and a very long appluse at the end, it even made the american woman sitting next to me clap for the 1st time duing the show!
All too quickly the final came with a well diserved standing ovation at the end and the show ended at 5.28pm
My next time to see the show is Sat 1st December 2.30 and I hope that is as good as this one

Return to “Reviews - London”