A place for October reviews.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: October 2012 reviews

Post by patc »

Thursday matinee 4th October.

Redmand, Thomas, Dayna

Grandma: Gillian Elisa

There’s a beautiful song called A Dream That Only I Can Know performed by Jenn Mahoney. Look it up on youtube. The first verse is in Gaelic and, translated, the first line goes “Listen to my heart as it follows a dream”. If we could have listened to Redmand’s heart at the end of Electricity we would have heard it beating to a rhythm that said “I’ve just followed MY dream”. His beaming smile told its own story and, incidentally, might well find Mr. Colgate’s advertising agency on the phone to Portsmouth later this week.

This was as measured and as pure an Electricity as you would wish to see and was the climax of an extraordinary polished and classy Billy portrayal full of brilliant dancing, melodic singing and stunning acting.

As if that wasn’t enough I also had the pleasure of seeing for the second time that Everest of fun himself, Thomas Moore as Michael. Like the previous occasion his version of Expressing was a complete riot of laughter, loud raucous laughter of the kind reserved for One Man, Two Guvnors. You had to be super-glued to your seat to stop yourself falling out and down onto the floor. I'm still laughing just thinking about it.

Redmand and Thomas worked brilliantly together but they had to contend with a super performance by little, magical Dayna as Debbie. Absolutely priceless, with her unique, high-speed “Ali Shuffle” in Shine and those cheeky, all-action, bent-back stompings around the stage.

Redmand has some really nice touches all his own one of them being in the Toilet scene with Debbie. His reaction to the “question” is a masterpiece.

This trio of multi-talented youngsters stole this show lock, stock and barrel.

The VPT is now up to the gills in surrounding fencing and barriers with even one of the site workers manning the entrance to the narrow walkway in what used to be Allington Street that leads up from the stage door area. However, I’m willing to climb any size barricade just to get to see this again.

Pat
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Sometimes one has to pinch oneself to realise that these young stars are very young indeed! Redmand is, apparently, only eleven years old, whilst Thomas and Dayna are even younger. This was a superb show with such a highly talented young trio at the helm.
Even in 'days of yore' we seldom had leads under the age of 12, to wit the likes of Liam Mower.

Redmand has a poise and elegance which he brings to the role of Billy but this in no way diminishes a terrific energy and enthusiasm that characterises his portrayal as a brilliant young actor, dancer and singer. Thomas, who I saw for the first time brings a fresh and raw humour to the role and the three of them, (he, Redmand and Dayna), and possibly because of the similarity of their sizes and ages, are a wonderful combination together and a great joy to behold.
deebeeeff
Ballet Girl

Post by deebeeeff »

October 5th, Evening:Kaine, Thomas & Dayna (and Ann Emery back after Thursday off)

Sorry this is going to be short. It was my 52nd show, but unlike some of those stalwart reviewers who are in their triple digits (both in shows AND age), I am all reviewed out.

This was a great show. I thought Kaine was excellent in all areas, especially his acting.

The whole cast was really into it tonight, including the ballet girls who really beat up on poor Kaine.

Tonight was a show of firsts for me.

First applause for small,boy when he was doing press-ups.

First applause for the ballet girls when they freeze smiling in "Shine".

And first show-stopping set malfunction when the set failed to lower when Billy goes up after Dad & Tony fight right before "The Letter" and "B2B". Show stopped for about 15 minutes, and restarted with Billy just walking in with his bag.

Set was fixed and worked fine the rest of the show, but it meant the second act started with Tony saying "Can you hear it in the distance" and going right into "MCMT".

Anyway, really enjoyed the show.
The Mini-Billython - Sacramento, Apr 11 - 13, 2013
"The Impossible" Hollywood Premier - Hollywood, Dec 10, 2012
Uncle Dave's 60th Birthday London Adventure - London, Oct 3 - 11, 2012
The Last Pirouette - NYC, Jan 5 - 9, 2012
Uncle Dave's Stealth Vacation - NYC, Oct 17 - 24, 2011
Uncle Dave's Liberation Celebration - New York City, Apr 11 - 18, 2011
Uncle Dave's Third Annual Birthday Billython - NYC, Oct 5 - 11, 2010
Fans in Denial - The REAL 5th Anniversary Show - London, May 6 - 14, 2010
Uncle Dave's Second Annual Birthday Billython - NYC, Oct 3 - 8, 2009
Uncle Dave's Memorial Weekend Big Apple Adventure & Billython - NYC, May 20 - 25, 2009
Uncle Dave's Birthday Billython - London, Oct 7 - 11, 2008
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Who Stole the Tutu?

You can all picture the scene, can't you? The Easington and District Miners' Welfare Christmas Party has finished, Dad has left the stage, leaving Billy and Michael to chat, as friends do. Billy tells Michael he's 'packed it in'. Michael gives Billy his peck on the cheek. Billy backs away and stretches down to pick up the tutu, that has found its way to be under the radiator, but what's this? No tutu. Harris Beattie ( as Billy) automatically starts to say, 'Here, put this on', but there is nothing to throw into the air to Michael ( Jack Bromage-Eccles). After a couple of seconds Jack starts to improvise, but doesn't take off his trackies ( in fact, he didn't even have his woolly hat on, so maybe that had been stolen as well), and does his ballet steps across the stage before doing the splits for the ' Nutcracker' line. After Jack put the duffel coat back on, Harris simply said ' You going home', to which Jack replied 'Yeh'.
When Jack left the stage through the back doors you felt like applauding, but, of course, you didn't.
So ' Well Done' to both Harris and Jack for carrying on, you deserve credit for that, although, of course, the scene lost a great deal of its comedic effect without Jack wearing the tutu. I can't think, though, that there will be much credit to the Props department this morning.
Wowzell
Tall Boy

Post by Wowzell »

It's lovely and quite refreshing to see actors this young beinmg able to cope with a situation. I wonder, do they get told what to do if this event were to occur, or is this complete spontaneous improvisation?
London: Harris x2, Adam x1, Kaine x1.

'In everything you do, always be yourself... and you always will be true'
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

dancingboy wrote:Who Stole the Tutu?
Why didn't you just take your tutu off and lend it to them? :lol:
MegaBillyfan
George

Post by MegaBillyfan »

angelenroute wrote:
dancingboy wrote:Who Stole the Tutu?
Why didn't you just take your tutu off and lend it to them? :lol:
In this case I would like to be there ... ;)
London: 27 shows (Ryan 2* - my first Billy, Dean, Kaine 4*, Adam, Redmand 4*, Harrison 3*, Harris 2*, Tade 3*, Ali 2*, Matteo, Ollie, Bradley, Nat, Euan - my last Billy)

I can´t really explain it, I haven´t got the words
It´s a feeling that you can´t control ...
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

dancingboy wrote: I can't think, though, that there will be much credit to the Props department this morning.
Although we all accept that live theatre is live theatre that seems to me like an unforgiveable offence. Kudos to both boys for their coolness. Pilots have various checklists that must be completed before they operate their aircraft at different stages of a flight. Do Props people not have similar or do they rely on memory? In another recent show Billy's coat was missing when Dad went to get it for the final scene. Billy ended up walking off the stage with his Winter wooly hat on but no coat. I wonder if, some day, the Letter will not be in Billy's bag when he goes to fetch it - or has that already happened?

Poor Jack seems to be having a rough ride. Following Wednesday evening (as described by John above) at yesterday's matinee when Harrison ran over to pull out the set for Expressing it wouldn't budge for love nor money. After a very short delay the set was fixed and the scene recommenced with the set already out, Jack came through the red door to take up his position followed by Harrison coming in from the other side.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

It is indeed strange how these things happen.

The strangest for me was recently when Ben Cook, as Billy on the US Tour, had to do Dream Ballet by himself. I'm not sure why but I'm sure they had a good reason for it.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - London”