patc
Mrs Wilkinson

November 2012 Reviews London

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 1st November

Redmand/Joe/Millie

Grandma: Gillian Elisa

Older Billy: James Butcher

“Happy Clapper” – Not present (well, not heard) but some idiot began to clap at the end almost before Billy had got off the stage. 98% of the audience kinda knew it was wrong and didn’t follow until a bit later.

B – Brilliant
E – Emotional
T – Thrilling
M – Magic

Rolls Royce
Exciting
Dazzling
Magnificent
Awesome
Neat
Damn near perfect (which of us is?)

Drama in Dream Ballet. Picture the scene.
Billy twirling the chair. Older Billy enters and takes up position.
The retreating set at the back and sides stops retreating (a short back and sides?) and grinds to a halt preventing the black sides of the stage from sliding down.
Redmand and James continue on.
End of the first part. The chairs are thrown to the stagehands on the right – in gloriously lit Technicolor.
No sign of set moving back.
Redmand and James continue on regardless. I doubt the arrival of a flying saucer-full of Aliens on stage would have stopped them.
Getting near the end of the second part.
Can Billy fly with the set only halfway back?
I wonder if someone has their finger on the stop button.
At last the set at the back begins to retreat again but ever so slowly.
Then the side parts follow and the black sides commence their descent – agonisingly slowly. Sweaty palms time.
Just in time all is ready. Phew. My favourite scene rescued by seconds. Great job by crew.
Redmand and James have just danced a magnificent piece of magic. No sweat.

Another great, fabulous and exciting Thursday.

Pat
jacob
Ballet Girl

Re: November 2012 Reviews London

Post by jacob »

Saturday November 3rd matinee

Harrison
Jack
Dayna
Ann Emery
Michael Peavoy

Firstly, it is pleasing to report that the theatre was very nearly full. I gathered that all nine Shows during the week of half-term had been very busy. Moreover, the Set worked and there were no interruptions to the peformance which ran to three hours as it should. If I were to be pernickity (which I am) I would criticise the 'noises off' during Act One. The bangs, crashes and coughs from backstage did little to enhance the acting on stage.

This was the second time I had seen Jack 'I'm free' Bromage-Eccles as Michael. I have always felt the character of Michael to be pivotal to the story of Billy Elliot and Jack proved positively inspirational yesterday. His Michael was extrovert, full of energy and self confidence whilst not veering into flamboyance and stage-camp. He was a proud possessor of 'Cindy the Nurse' in the Winter Scene and a high energy tap dancer in Express. Incidentally, this scene is where he exclaims 'I'm free' when Billy, shocked at seeing Michael wearing a dress, calls out his name in disbelief. This Michael delivered a powerful kiss to Billy's cheek, a kiss which I may say, was reciprocated when Billy said his last goodbye. I have always felt that without Michael, Billy could never have found the courage to escape from his mining community. Jack is a talented actor in the making.

Dayna may be tiny of stature but she was a fiery Debbie yesterday. Her Debbie fancies Billy something rotten. Why doesn't he reciprocate even when made an offer he shouldn't be able to refuse? I loved Dayna's attitude and her Easington persona. Her mum who was in the audience must have been so proud.

This was probably the last time that I shall see Michael Peavoy as Tony. Michael P gave a powerful portrayal of Billy's elder brother. This Tony was so clearly a miner caught up in a Strike which was to be overwhelmingly defeated by Mrs Thatcher's government. Tony does not understand why a boy should give up boxing to go to ballet lessons and he is deeply suspicious of Mrs Wilkinson. Michael P was a rough, tough Tony who did not mince his words. Yet his love for his brother shone through the anger as shown by his eventual delight on reading Billy's letter of acceptance from the RBS.............and when he gave Billy his prized possession, the miners' lamp. Some may prefer a softer, blander Tony but for me Michael P has been a wonderful Tony and I shall miss him. The film clip projected during the prologue shows so clearly what conditions were like for miners working underground. You had to be tough to survive.

I have reviewed Harrison before and there isn't much more to be said. He has added little touches that make his performance distinctive. In the audition scene he had to rewind about a metre of tape into the cassette. He did this with such panache and the aid of a very useful pencil! The audience held their breath as he finished with a flourish. Somehow Harrison had all of us (as well as the cassette) in the palm of his hand! A fine piece of acting. Add into the mix his high speed Electricity and two sorrowful Letter scenes and you have a top performance. Thank you (again).

The Victoria Palace Theatre is owned by Mr and Mrs Stephen Waley-Cohen. They also own the Ambassadors and St Martin's theatres. The Ambassadors hosts The Mousetrap, the longest running Play in the world I believe, and now in its sixtieth year.
I have a dream.......................................that BETM will still be running at the Victoria Palace in 2065.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
MegaBillyfan
George

Post by MegaBillyfan »

jacob wrote:Saturday November 3rd matinee

I have a dream.......................................that BETM will still be running at the Victoria Palace in 2065.
What a wonderful dream - I´m in! (If I´m still able to come to London when I´m about 100 years!) ;)
London: 27 shows (Ryan 2* - my first Billy, Dean, Kaine 4*, Adam, Redmand 4*, Harrison 3*, Harris 2*, Tade 3*, Ali 2*, Matteo, Ollie, Bradley, Nat, Euan - my last Billy)

I can´t really explain it, I haven´t got the words
It´s a feeling that you can´t control ...
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Not so much a review, but a very nice blog comment:

http://www.thestage.co.uk/columns/shent ... e-theatre/

I must add this to my profile:

Great art forges unexpected connections between its spectator and the story it is telling, and Billy Elliot is a great musical.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

THURSDAY EVENING, NOVEMBER 8th, 2012

One word to describe Kaine’s performance – WOW!

Kaine is a real smiley Billy and he has a smile that would light up the darkest of rooms. His acting and singing are top notch but his dancing is in a different league altogether. His high kicks (I don’t know the real term for them) in B2B and Electricity are amazing. I have never seen any Billy kick higher – and I have seen 42 different boys play the role. He and Joe were great together and in Express there was a funny moment when they put the handbag on Kaine’s head the wrong way round so it ended up looking like an Easter Bonnet. It wouldn’t stay on so quick-thinking Kaine took it off, twirled it round his head a few times and then threw it on the floor.

Joe, as senior Michael, is very funny. He doesn’t rush his lines and really milked the audience with the “Nutcracker” line.

Dayna is a terrific Debbie. They say that great things come in small packages. Well they have that right with Dayna. She is one hell of an actress. Her timing and delivery are perfect.

It was the last night for the unsung heroes - the Ballet girls of Eden group. They, as usual, put in a terrific performance and, quite rightly, there were a few tears at the end of the show. Well done girls – you should all be proud of yourselves.

The adult cast were, as usual, brilliant. They are at the top of their game and it seems a shame that some of them will be leaving on Saturday.

Michael Peavoy spent time with the ballet girls outside the VP afterwards as this was his last show with them. You could see the girls loved him and also that he thought the world of them as well. It was a lovely moment to witness.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

What a show on Saturday with the team of senior Billy and Michael performing once again! This was, as I found out, Kaine's 100th show and probably the best I've ever seen him! I must add that the whole cast was aided by what must have been the best audience I have ever seen at the VP. Other than on leaving shows of course.
Shine was as hilarious as ever with the ballet girls pushing mercilessly Billy around and with...ahem...things flying around...boxing hats, little birds.....whatever, very funny and entertaining! Brilliant express with an amazing Joe stealing the show as usual! This definetelly was the best and most emotional letter scene I've ever seen from Kaine. Sung and acted beautifully, it brought tears to my eyes (and from the sound of it caused a lot of tissues to be used). Fantastic B2B with the now famous high kicks amazing us once again and some perfect skipping performed with a huge smile on Kaine's face (it always amazes me how these kids can do something so difficult with a smile on their face....). One of the funniest toilet scenes with the tiny Millie not only making her "indecent proposal" but giving innocent looks around while a shocked Billy tries to make up his mind! Brilliant!! After a great start to the second half with the whole cast very "up for it" in MCMT Joe shined once again in a very funny winter scene. Brilliant dream ballet from Kaine and Barnaby but I don't think anything can prepare us for his electricity. It could have easily been the best I've ever seen! Now we all know Kaine is a ballet Billy with some perfect and ellegant ballet moves. But what I find amazing is how well he has mastered his acro as well, doing things I never remember seing another ballet Billy do! I have always said that Ryan could have been a ballet Billy if he wanted to. Well, it is my humble opinion that Kaine could have easily been a street Billy anytime! Kaine finished his 100th performance with a very uplifting finale, full of whooping!!! This being the matinee of a cast leavers show the whole cast was absolutely on fire and a joy to watch! Thanks very much to Kaine, Joe, Millie and everyone else for a very entertaining afternoon!
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Saturday evening 10th Nov

Harris/Thomas/Macy/Colby/Ashley

Having enjoyed a great pre-show meal and chat with a gang of really wonderful fans of the show it was back to the VPT for the evening entertainment.

As cast change nights go Saturday’s atmosphere was somewhat low-key with not even a pre-show announcement but there was nothing low-key about Harris’ brilliant, intensive and raw emotional performance. On stage he is like a timebomb waiting to explode given the opportunity and this waiting-to-be-released energy transmits itself to the audience but it has to wait until just before Angry Dance for the pressure to finally give. The only respite we got from this in Part One was during a harrowing Letter that bled 1500 hearts and an Expressing with the hilarious Thomas that sparkled and glowed (despite the show having to be stopped for a couple of minutes when one of the dresses fell over and couldn’t get back up again). Harris' masterful balancing act in getting this progression just right is fascinating to watch.

But back to Angry Dance. The sheer rage, frenzy and sounds (Harris’ magnificent dancing feet, the batons/shields, pulsating music all combined) removed all the pent-up tensions from both performer and spectators alike so that when Harris walked off stage (with looks that would have killed) a kind of hush descended as a drained audience pondered their next move.

Despite the loud and enjoyable fun of Maggie Thatcher, the quieter fun and poignancy of the Winter scene and a beautiful Dream Ballet with Barnaby (back after a two week absence) we were plunged back into rage (and despair) with a powerful He Could be a Star for the last time between Deka and Michael. No scene in the show has been improved better than this over the past 12 months and, in my experience, has never been as moving.

The (ballet) Electricity was just beautiful to watch – and listen to. The musical arrangement which accompanies this dance stands, in my estimation, as one of most perfect I have ever heard anywhere. Add Harris’ beautifully paced and graceful dancing and you have a Wonder-of-the-World within a Wonder-of-the-World.

Once We Were Kings was particularly extra sad on this occasion with the knowledge that there were some cast members we will not see again.

After the Finale Deka stepped forward to announce that there were cast leavers and those not leaving were asked to sit down to “expose” the leavers. Not sure if that was a good way to do it. I certainly wouldn’t have liked it done that way.

I shall miss all the departing cast. For me, everyone who has provided such fantastic entertainment (however small their role) deserves my thanks and appreciation and I sincerely wish them all well for the future.

The usual tearful scene outside afterwards with the wonderful and dedicated Ballet Girl groups now breaking up is not one I enjoy seeing but I hope they know that their contribution to the show is one that all genuine fans are very grateful for.

Colby has been quite a character and a unique and smiling Small Boy and I shall greatly miss the fun chats after the show with him and his lovely Mum. Great to see that he is now playing Tiny Tim in Scrooge.

I was delighted to hear that legendary Tall Boy Ashley is staying on.

Looking back at last week’s shows I was lucky, very lucky. Harris was the only Billy I missed on my previous visit but this time I got to see him twice. I also saw Kaine twice and Harrison once with Redmand absent. (Can’t be greedy, saw him in two previous successive shows).

We are so blessed to have four truly and equally magnificent Billys to “carry on the fine tradition”.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to all these shows. It was a few days in London made in Heaven.

Pat

PS Athina, thanks for your review of the matinee and Kaine. Amazing stuff!!
R.A.C
Small Boy

Post by R.A.C »

patc wrote: Expressing with the hilarious Thomas that sparkled and glowed (despite the show having to be stopped for a couple of minutes when one of the dresses fell over and couldn’t get back up again).

I just imagined this and literally can't stop laughing. Has that ever happened before?
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

R.A.C wrote:I just imagined this and literally can't stop laughing. Has that ever happened before?
When the dresses used to be much smaller than they are now one of them used to deliberately fall down backwards having run into the stage pillar on the left but I don't recall seeing an accidental fall before. In fact, at the time, it looked to be quite serious as the actor/dress lay on the floor completely motionless and the stage manager came on and called for the curtain. I was very, very relieved when David Massey came through the curtain a few minutes later to announce that the actor was fine. When the curtain rose Harris and Thomas were on stage alone, then the music started for the end of their dance at the point just before the dresses first appear.

Just an addition to the Saturday Matinee performance. In the Finale, when the four miners usually step forward for their short dance and bow, three of them played a joke I have seen a few times before and left a big-smiling Ryan Pidgen to do it on his own :D .

Pat
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

patc wrote:After the Finale Deka stepped forward to announce that there were cast leavers and those not leaving were asked to sit down to “expose” the leavers. Not sure if that was a good way to do it. I certainly wouldn’t have liked it done that way.
Maybe he was trying something different to change things up a bit. But yeah, I agree that it might have been better to ask the departing cast members to step to the front of the stage and take a bow where they could better be recognized by the audience for their contributions to the show.

Return to “Reviews - London”