Les Miserables The Movie Christmas 2012

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Les Miserables The Movie Christmas 2012

Post by ERinVA »

Lisa Schwarzbaum of "Entertainment Weekly" certainly panned the movie. I found this interesting because many of her complaints are about elements of the musical that have been transported directly into the film. I haven't seen it, of course, but just from the snippets that I have seen of Russell Crowe singing, I would have to agree with her about that at least. 8-)

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20620444,00.html
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

My take on the above reviewer:

1- She doesn't quite get Les Mis and never liked the stage production, therefore she was predisposed to dislike the movie. She needs to realize this is essentially an opera. She has a right to her opinion, but perhaps is too biased to review this movie.
2- She seems to be in love with her own cleverness at finding witty ways to pan the movie.
:/
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Here is a sneak peek at "One Day More" from the movie.

http://www.lasexta.com/videos-online/se ... 00020.html

I have mixed thoughts here. I have always loved this number, but watching this clip it seems very disjointed. Hopefully it will be more impressive on the big screen. Just one week more. ;)
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Slightly off-topic, but I think there is a place to broadcast live Broadway shows throughout cinemas, as is done with the Met. Imagine live productions of Billy Elliot, Matilda, Les Mis, Jersey Boys and Wicked coming to your local cineplex..............
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

CJ-Rochester wrote:Here is a sneak peek at "One Day More" from the movie.

http://www.lasexta.com/videos-online/se ... 00020.html

I have mixed thoughts here. I have always loved this number, but watching this clip it seems very disjointed. Hopefully it will be more impressive on the big screen. Just one week more. ;)
It does seem to jump around too much. I bought into it at the beginning of the number when it seemed to show how the characters were connected emotionally while being miles apart from each other. After awhile though, it started to look like a montage of random people and places. And I must admit I have a hard time coming to grips with Russell Crowe and Sasha Cohen singing, when it seems so far removed from anything they've done before (OK, I know Sasha Cohen appeared in the movie musical "Sweeney Todd," but I think of him as a comedian first).
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Here's a peek at the filming of the opening number. It certainly looks elaborate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FVUBFHQMjs
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I've read a few reviews and have seen a couple on TV as well. It seems to not be doing so well with reviewers. I've heard a few people say that it feels a bit too small and intimate while the stage show has a more large encompassing feel. I understand, but I will still see it and judge for myself.
One reviewer said something that made a lot of sense. He said that the fans of the musical will love the movie, but it may be a hard sell to people who aren't familiar with it.
Either way, I'm out of town for the holidays, so I'll have to wait a few days before I can see it. For myself, I'm still quite excited, I think it will be great!
Now where's our Billy Elliot the Musical movie??? haha
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

This review from The Wall Street Journal is generally positive of the movie as a whole, with the exception of Russell Crowe's performance.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... atsNewsTop
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Les Miserables

These are Reflections and not an attempt at a review.
I made sure I was at the very first showing today
I so wanted this movie to be Great! - I was NOT disappointed.

Beautifully filmed. The “look” was wonderful But the decision to use “live” singing was the real payoff.
The creative team behind this film knew it is all about the STORY. The story is the heart and soul of Les Miserables and they tried to tell it with as much power and emotion as possible. In order to highlight their facial expressions the camera was never more than a few feet away from the face the person singing and the freedom that each person had to pause and emphasize and emote gave this film an intensity and emotional power I have never seen before in a musical. Ann Hathaway’s performance alone is worth the price of admission. Hugh Jackman was fantastic and even Russell Crow turned in a wonderful performance. Unlike the stage production every single word was clearly understood. The realistic battle scenes and the building of the barricade were bone chilling.
I think I have mentioned many times in my posts that I get very emotional very easily- well I only made it through the first 10 min before I had to bring out the Kleenex. The last 15 min I was a mess. I would have been embraced except for the sobs of the other audience members in the very large packed theater.
I may have found a new obsession - I know I will be seeing this movie many, many more times.

Joe
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

What Joe said. Musical always had Book problems...movie solved most of those.
Take my hand, and lead me to salvation
Take my love, for love is everlasting
And remember the truth that was once spoken:
To love another person is to see the face of God

Sobs.

Return to “Non-BETM Archive”