December 2012 reviews

Reviews of the show
Westletonion
Miner

December 2012 reviews

Post by Westletonion »

I can't believe this is the first reivew of December!

Harrison was at his brilliant best for yesterday's matinee and I truly feel it was his best performance that I have seen, and I am not alone in that opinion. In no way did he seem subdued as a result of an apparent recent accident. The somewhat sparse audience were very vocal and appreciative and this was boosted by a very large school group. Thomas was very funny as a diminutive Micahel and Dayna was excellent as Debbie. The energy and dedicated enthusiasm that these very young people have is staggering! I also think this particular group of ballet girls are quite brilliant. The show went at a cracking pace and the jubilations from the audience showed that it was just the tonic we all needed on a bitterly cold December afternoon. Congratulations Harrison and all. We are so lucky having this fantastic show.
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Re: December 2012 reviews

Post by BILLYFAN »

SATURDAY 1ST DECEMBER 2.30PM SHOW

BILLY.................HARRISON
MICHAEL............JOE M
DEBBIE..............MILLIE T

Sorry I'm late with this review, but I've been very busy this week

I thought i've seen Harrison before, but looking at my records I have'nt so it is a first time for Harrison and Millie and ballet girls

A nearly full house who where luke warm at the start but soon "came round" and were cheering and clapping.

The small boy was rather keen and was up to the m.d's box before the anoucement about no cameras etc,was finished, the m.d was winding him up, by asking him who he was
The boxing scene was very funny mainly because Joe couldn't stop laughing, he certainly made the audience laugh.

Harrison plays Billy very well, especially in shine and solidarty, and very emotional at the end of the letter scene, his dream ballet was performed very good indeed, although I'm not really a fan of street electricities.

The show started at 2.32 and finished at 5.35, and at the end there was an appeal for donations for A.I.Ds day and members of the cast were at the doors with charity buckets

Only just got to London.... 06.20 Train from Newton Abbot being the 1st train since Wednesday from Newton Abbot to Exeter because of 13 landslips and getting to London 1hour late. Coming back was even worse a lot to trouble on train, the 20.06 cancelled, had to go on the 20.30 via Bristol to Taunton ...then road transport to Newton Abbot, getting there at 01.10 over 2 hours late
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Here's a blog review from a university student who saw the show on December 10th:

http://gemmafulton.tumblr.com/post/3778 ... erformance
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

porschesrule wrote:Here's a blog review from a university student who saw the show on December 10th:

http://gemmafulton.tumblr.com/post/3778 ... erformance
I can't get that link to work. :(
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Wednesday 12th December

Harris, Joe, Millie
David B as Dad
James Butcher as Older Billy

12-12-12. A red letter day and, to suit the occasion, a red hot show from the magnificent Harris Beattie. This was an evening of absolutely unbeatable entertainment. Harris' performance was full of passion, full of skill and determination with brilliantly paced acting as he took us along the rocky road to the Royal Ballet School. Everything had class written all over it.

The brilliant Ballet Girls put poor Harris through all the hoops in Shine but, despite their best efforts, he grinned and beared his way through it all with some hilarious facial expressions, spills and twists.

I can't put my finger on exactly why but it was an exceptionally emotional show, too. Perhaps it was the time of year that's in it. But there were lots of smiles of satisfaction, too, from Harris such as during the pose at the end of Solidarity and during the fun and games with the on-fire and outstanding Joe Massey in Expressing. The Green brigade must be hoping that Harris never visits the Arctic because his smile would melt all their icebergs.

His beautifully controlled spin-set across the stage in front of the miners/cops was one of the longest I have seen.

The Toilet Scene with bouncy little Millie was hilarious. As we say in Ireland, the "puss he put on himself" when he heard Millie's offer left no doubt about what he thought about it.

The explosion of rage off the kitchen table was followed by a thundering Angry Dance accompanied by that sensational beat, not just from the musicians but also from the pounding batons. I could watch this all day.

Dream Ballet was gloriously magical in its entirety (that blogger must be insane) with the classy James Butcher at the helm tonight delivering a beauty. I could watch that all day.

Watching Harris' majestic ballet Electricity was like watching a professional chef decorate a large cake with 10 foot of icing. I could watch that 24/7.

Killian Donnelly has already stamped his name all over the role of Tony. With so many different takes on his various scenes it is wildly exciting seeing this happen before your very eyes and I have the feeling that there is still more to come as the year progresses.

There is not a lot more that can be said about Ann Emery but, IMHO, she is better than ever. Is that really possible? I believe so. Without any doubt the First Lady of the West End....by a country mile.

Seán Kearns is a fantastic George with a stage voice (and a deep laugh) to die for and his "bitta ballet" at the end is a little piece of genius.

Kay Milbourne's gentle Dead Mum never fails to bring out the tears.

I could go on but the ol' eyes are weary from the travel and all the emotions wrought upon the soul between 7.30pm and 10.30pm. Indeed a show to remember.

Thank you Harris and everyone concerned for the entertainment this evening that made my day complete.

Pat
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Tuesday 18th December

Harrison
Thomas M
Dayna
TB: Ashley
SB: Thomas

Mrs. W: Helen French
Tony: Matthew Dale
Mr B: David Muscat

In this bleak midwinter period there is nothing that brings more joy to the world than a Billy show and the "messiah" this evening was none other than the superb, the incredibly talented Harrison Dowzell. As hundreds of disciples gathered around you could sense that something glorious was about to happen and that we were definitely not in for a silent night.

The stars in the bright sky were still looking down as Harrison's gentle, melodious Take Me Up broke the silence accompanied by the beautiful arrangement for piano. In the breakfast scene we got our first real sighting of Matthew Dale as Tony who was most impressive in the role right throughout the evening. Another great find by the Company as is David Muscat who was incredibly good as Mr. B complete with an eyecatching hairpiece and a surprise costume :).

On a night when Alternates were all the rage Helen (minus the three hens) strode on to the stage in her brilliant classic Mrs. W style to join her ballet girls (not Tiny Tots by any means but with their eyes all aglow, nonetheless) and Dayna who were determined that Billy would not have a merry, merry time.

Solidarity is a major piece of stage work. A superlative example of how to move a story along with almost the entire cast involved flitting in and out, not exactly exchanging seasons greetings, simple yet decisive everyday words and sentences all blended together like the perfect Christmas dinner, climaxing with those outstanding trumpet statements, massed miners'/coppers' soaring voices and Billy's joyful and triumphant spins and smile of accomplishment. Truly powerful stuff that takes your breath away each and every time.

After an hilarious Expressing, followed by Dad Dek(a)ing Tony with a single blow it was time for the taps to be turned on for the Letter - another work of (he)art from Harrison, Helen and Kay.

With the temperature rising in the kitchen it was not long before voices were raised and gaskets were blown. As chaos broke out all around him Harrison let rip. His initial screams of despair and disillusionment soon morphed into outright rage at the top of the stairs. From then on it was as brilliant an Angry Dance as you could wish to see. What a fantastic dancer he is. Those feet mercilously pounding the stage with precision and power, not letting up for a second. This is one scene that is best viewed from the front row. You have everything in close up as Billy gyrates with the beating batons bashing your ears to pieces just behind him and the band effervescent in full flow below the stage. More truly powerful stuff that takes your breath away each and every time.

In the Winter Scene down at the hall there was no fire to roast chestnuts on and Jack Frost must have been nipping at his toes but Thomas Moore didn't bat an eyelid. His very endearing voice brought heartfelt poignancy to the tender scenes yet immediately afterwards he stamped his own particular wild style on the tutu extravaganza before reverting with wonderful timing to poignant mode again. Thank goodness the Happy Clapper was out doing his/her Christmas shopping. You could have heard a pin drop as Thomas slowly and sadly disappeared out the back door. You almost begged Billy to call him back.

This was my last show before Christmas and I was really looking forward to watching my favourite scene, Dream Ballet. Barnaby and Harrison delivered a beautiful Christmas box. Never better. Utter and complete magic all done with appropriate seasonal smiles.

Amid the Winter snow more despair was to come, this time from Dad as he struggled with his conscience followed by another powerful and very emotional pit scene with Tony until the scab arrived bearing gifts not of gold, frankincense and myrrh but with hard cash for Billy. There was no goodwill offered to the Scab for such generosity but, nevertheless, he must have derived some satisfaction that his gift was accepted in the end. Now it was up to Billy to deck the halls or, more appropriately, the RBS stage. There was no way that Harrison was going to let this opportunity slip by. With gasps of admiration from the appreciative audience he launched into his magnificently athletic street style Electricity. Awesome to watch and, finally, that unique approach to the board for the flip. How does he do it from such a short distance? It's all in those amazingly quick and adjustable feet. Oh, that moment of pure joy when he lands back on those two feet...and that great smile to follow. No wonder the audience shouted out with (much) glee.

As the curtain came down on a great evening the same audience held their whist and allowed Thomas the space he required to provide a beautifully poignant ending to the night. As usual, after a smashing Finale everyone left the theatre merrily on (a) high.

This fantastic cast and crew must have worked very hard to provide us with this unrivalled entertainment. My thanks to everyone involved and, come on all ye faithful. Get ye down to the VPT over the Christmas/New Year and pay due homage.

And a Happy Christmas and New Year to all Forum members worldwide.

Pat

PS For some reason the Board-at-the-Door had Harris' name on it all night
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Great review, Pat! You're so creative :)
patc wrote:PS For some reason the Board-at-the-Door had Harris' name on it all night
Actually, I was surprised to see it was Harrison tonight, as last night Harris came on for an ill Redmand, so one would think Harris was the standby and therefore would have been up tonight. I hope last night's tagteam didn't have Harris pick up something going around from Redmand :(
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

A big "Thank You" Pat for your super reviews on Harris and Harrison, they are really outstanding and I tell you they are so appreciated.
Trust you, to catch the Notts County Kid this week.
pickles
Small Boy

Post by pickles »

porschesrule wrote:Great review, Pat! You're so creative :)
patc wrote:PS For some reason the Board-at-the-Door had Harris' name on it all night
Actually, I was surprised to see it was Harrison tonight, as last night Harris came on for an ill Redmand, so one would think Harris was the standby and therefore would have been up tonight. I hope last night's tagteam didn't have Harris pick up something going around from Redmand :(
I think they must have made a last minute switch to Harrison. Before the house is opened the FOH staff are told which Billy is on that night (as we often get people asking), and we were told Harris. So we were all very surprised when Harrison came on. Also looking at the sheet for last night Harris was meant to have gone on with Redmand on standby. All three boys were at the theatre last night, so I'm not sure what happened there.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Friday evening, 28 December, 2012

Billy - Harrison Dowzell
Michael - Jack Bromage-Eccles
Dad - David Bardsley
All other cast were regulars (to the best of my knowledge)

My Christmas vacation found me in London for a few days, so I bought some last-minute tickets for tonight's show and happened to get stalls row B on the aisle, which had just been returned to the ticket office as I was checking on ticket availability. It turned out to be a sign of good fortune, as I was able to see Harrison Dowzell as Billy. I had seen him this past summer and thoroughly enjoyed his performance and hoped to get to see him again while he was still in the show. I was also hoping to see Ann Emery as Grandma, who I seemed to keep missing on my most recent trips here.

As much as I enjoyed Harrison back in July, I can safely say that he's that much better now. He had an aire of confidence that 5 months of performing experience can bring. One of the things I love about his way of playing the part is that he wears his emotions on his sleeve. While he always stays in character as Billy, you can't help but see some of Harrison in the part too - his joys at a number well-done, as well as some frustration or embarrassment when things don't go as well as he would like. He definitely appears to be giving everything he has, which is a sign of someone who takes pride in what they do. It's also a sign of respect for the audience, as he appears to be doing everything in his power to give them their money's worth. Simply put, he's turning into one of my favorite Billys and is someone I could never see myself getting tired of seeing in the show.

"Angry Dance" has always been arguably my favorite number in the show, and tonight it was so good that it was one of the few times that it has actually moved me to tears. Again, it was a case of Harrison giving 110% and putting everything he had into it, which clearly made the audience feel his pain and anger. I also loved his disgust and irritation at the beginning of the 2nd act when the cheerful George bantering with the audience contrasted quite humorously with Billy's disgust at being dragged into the procedings. Excellent acting on Harrison's part.

On a lighter note, we were treated to a stray balloon during "Shine" which drifted down from the rafters and chose to hover at front and center of the stage as Mrs. Wilkinson and the ballet girls did their song and dance. Mrs. W. had a hard time concealing a smile, as she found it rather humorous to suddenly be sharing the front of the stage with a balloon that had a mind of its own. She finally pulled it down and gave it to Mr. Braithwaite, who also was on the verge of smiling, as if he was thinking, "Where in the world did this come from ? And why is it hovering here right by us ?"

I also really enjoyed the actor who played Tony. He seemed the right age for the part and played it with just enough anger without going over the top with it, which some actors tend to do in this role. David Bardsley and Ann Emery are like familiar old friends by now. I'm always happy to see them come on stage as I know they are going to give consistent, excellent performances.

All in all, it was an excellent performance in front of a large, enthusiastic crowd who seemed very receptive and was in the mood for a fun time. A great evening of entertainment.

Return to “Reviews - London”