January 2013 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
angelenroute
Billy

Re: January 2013 Reviews - London

Post by angelenroute »

dancingboy wrote:Redmand ...used his hands to good effect, such as covering his eyes when Dad pronounced the word 'ESQUIRE' correctly.
I don't remember seeing a Billy do that before, but sounds like a fun idea! =)
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 31st January - all day.

Matinee: Harris/Jack/Macy

Evening - Redmand/Thomas M/Dayna

I may not come down from the high I’m on at the moment after yesterday’s all-day visit to the VPT. Not that I want to.

In 1968 the great Italian film director Sergio Leone cast blue-eyed perennial good guy Henry Fonda as the bad guy in his seminal western ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. An early atrocity in the film was seen from behind. When it was over his camera moved around slowly to face the perpetrator. He wanted the audience to gasp “JHC, it’s Henry Fonda”. I was reminded of this yesterday at the matinee. The Board-at-the-door proclaimed Redmand to be Billy. As the pre-show announcement finished I was looking down to check my mobile was off and this rather tall looking “Small Boy” was climbing onto the stage. The immediate thought was “Who the heck is that?” Then he turned around to face the audience. “JHC, it’s Redmand Rance”. As he arrived at the back of the stage (not sitting on anyone’s lap :D) I wondered if he was now going to morph into Billy. But no, who should march through the door only Harris Beattie. We now had two magnificent Billys on stage at the same time. Not only that, very shortly afterwards we had two magnificent Billys skipping across the stage together in Take me Up. Later on, Redmand turned up trumps in Maggie Thatcher with all the usual SB gear. Whilst first-timers would not have even noticed, for us fans this was priceless. We ought to have been charged extra for this. If Redmand had appeared outside afterwards with a hat I’d have had no problem contributing to it. It was that enjoyable.

Of course, Harris, the main man in the matinee was sensational in the main role with brilliant dancing, acting and singing and, as usual, ripping souls and hearts apart in the process but triumphing in the end. Jack Bromage-Eccles has really brought his Michael up to a new level in the past couple of weeks and he has obviously worked very hard in rehearsals. Well done to Jack :D.

Exiting the theatre afterwards the buzz was phenomenal. It was still there during the after-show nosh-up in Noodles. Some of us were speculating would Harris be playing SB in the evening show but, subsequently, we did learn from an informed source that an “official” SB had arrived.

At 7.30pm it was Redmand back on stage again but this time as the main man and, for the second time in the day, we were treated to another sensational show of brilliant dancing, acting and singing. I think even Redmand was amazed with the lengthy applause after Electricity and, a rare occurrence, at the end of the show loads of other audience members were on their feet before any of us. Thomas Moore as Michael was superb throughout bringing laughter and tears in large doses into everyone’s hearts.

The entire cast was on fire all day and the fantastic music was just mega. My goodness, those last moments of Solidarity, the combination of raging, dancing Billy, the beating Riot Squad in Angry Dance and Once We Were Kings are overwhelming moments of musical ecstasy.

Deka’s hugely enthusiastic and masterful promotion of Billy for the Olivier Audience Awards at the end of both shows was a fitting finale to a great day. If I were you I wouldn’t try what he did at home but you can GET VOTING NOW!

There’s a new Billy poster on the Tube and at Heathrow. It has a proper picture of the original Billy on it (not that awful denim-clad delinquent that replaced it) and the three inscriptions thereon says it all:

AWE-INSPIRING
UPLIFTING
LIFE CHANGING

Amen to that.

Pat
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

patc wrote:this rather tall looking “Small Boy” was climbing onto the stage. The immediate thought was “Who the heck is that?” Then he turned around to face the audience. “JHC, it’s Redmand Rance”. As he arrived at the back of the stage (not sitting on anyone’s lap :D) I wondered if he was now going to morph into Billy. But no, who should march through the door only Harris Beattie. We now had two magnificent Billys on stage at the same time. Not only that, very shortly afterwards we had two magnificent Billys skipping across the stage together in Take me Up. Later on, Redmand turned up trumps in Maggie Thatcher with all the usual SB gear. Whilst first-timers would not have even noticed, for us fans this was priceless. We ought to have been charged extra for this.
WOW! Another cool moment in BETM History, and you were there! Thanks for letting us know, and as for charging extra, shhhhh! :D

Seriously, very, very cool!!!

Sean
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Sean, Redmand had, in fact, taken over as Small Boy in the second half of the Tuesday performance.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

dancingboy wrote:Sean, Redmand had, in fact, taken over as Small Boy in the second half of the Tuesday performance.
I didn't intend to infer it was the first time, just that it was such a big deal. Cool either way!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Pat for a terrific review.

It just whetted my appetitie for my trip in a couple of weeks.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

patc wrote:There’s a new Billy poster on the Tube and at Heathrow. It has a proper picture of the original Billy on it (not that awful denim-clad delinquent that replaced it)...
Loved this! Made me laugh!

Thank you Pat, Barry, BILLYFAN and dancingboy for your wonderful reviews. Makes me pine for London. I will be back in 2013, of that I am certain, just haven't figured out when exactly. Meanwhile, I am grateful for the reviews that help keep me in touch!

maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!

Return to “Reviews - London”