Sao Paulo, Brazil

cws8998
Ballet Girl

Re: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Post by cws8998 »

August is many moons away, but Sao Paulo sure hit NBC nightly news today as some 250 thousand marchers flooded the streets of the city (as well as other cities across Brazil) protesting governmental policies and the plight of the middle and under class, ala, Greece-Turkey and turmoil in other city-states across the globe.

With the musical headed that way, it might be interesting to keep one's eye on how things continue to develop down there as the summer presses on.

Just an observation!

Thoughts to all in Hartford.

Colin
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

cws8998 wrote:... protesting governmental policies and the plight of the middle and under class ...
They should be OK as long as the Act 2 opener isn't changed to "Merry Christmas Dilma Rousseff".
jakeu
Small Boy

Post by jakeu »

A few things I learned yesterday from the truck drivers, as I know it was an often asked question...

The trucks were driven from here to New York last night to be shipped to Brazil. I don't know the timeline for when exactly that will happen, but I know that they were headed that way. This was apparent when the new trucks arrived to replace the Billy Logo trucks during load out...as they were shipping containers, and not the typical 53 ft trucks as is typical of American trucks. Because all of the trucks belong to the shipper, Clark Transfer, the billy trucks themselves will not be going to Brazil. They will have to transfer the stuff that was in the Billy trucks to shipping containers once they get to New York. I imagine they will be painted over for a new production. That means that we won't be able to buy it and have it parked outside of our houses... :P

I asked what happens to the set once it is finished in Brazil and he didn't know the answer to that.

Also a few tidbits:

-Clark transfer is the shipper for most broadway shows...the drivers do orchestral shows, too.
-load in for the shows can take up to 7 hours depending on the venue.
-"Wicked" needs 18! Trucks to transport the set around
-they drive in a team of 2, so that they can drive continuously.
-each driver can drive up to 11 hours before being required to stop

I loved talking to the driver, they deserve more appreciation than they actually get. He seemed pretty dedicated to his job. He even said "the show must go on," which I really appreciated.

I had a great time in Hartford, but will have a difficult time finding something else to fill the void. Hope everyone arrives home safely!

Shipping container by JakeUden, on Flickr

See ya, Billy. by JakeUden, on Flickr
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Thanks for the legwork, Jake! :)
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Excellent reconnaissance, Jake. Just one more thing: Including supplies, how many forum members can fit into one shipping container around the Billy equipment? ;)
Lightman7
Small Boy

Post by Lightman7 »

Does anyone on here speak/read portuguese enough to navigate the ticketing website? I'm seriously considering flying down for the final weekend.
jakeu
Small Boy

Post by jakeu »

Lightman7 wrote:Does anyone on here speak/read portuguese enough to navigate the ticketing website? I'm seriously considering flying down for the final weekend.
Not me, but best of luck if you do decide to go! I'll ask some friends and see if they'd know enough to help you out.

If it were me, I'd rather go to London, as it's loads cheaper flight wise to get there.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

The new cast list has been posted for the trip to Brazil.
http://www.billyelliottour.com/us-tour- ... d-creative
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for the link. So Ty is joining the tour again for Brazil. Yay Ty! :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I have to admit, I love when Billy Elliot surprises me. Ty coming back? Never heard that rumor! :D Good for him and great for the company! I got to see him in D.C. and he was great, and very kind and patient to talk with a few of us after his show. Happy news today indeed, and I guess a little more free time for the Michaels now too, as it looks like Ty will be playing Tall Boy at shows he isn't playing Billy. Welcome back, Ty!

Sean

Return to “Billy Elliot the Musical - N. Amer./Int'l Tour”