Richmond Reviews

angelenroute
Billy

Re: Richmond Reviews

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:The show ran reeeealllly loooong. Not sure why, but I suspect it had to do with the subs, as there were some very pregnant pauses at spots that caused me to wonder if a line had been dropped. I don’t think any actually were dropped, but the timing made me think that mental wheels were doing some turning in order to call them up.
Thank you for this thorough review, Ellen! I really enjoyed reading this part. As an aspiring actor and fan of great acting, I could totally see this being the case, whether or not it was. Very interesting!
ERinVA wrote:the man said he was a dancer, and needless to say, he was really impressed with Drew, who, of course, nailed everything, including the rope skipping in B2B, with ease (by the way, “Billy jump” off the piano instead of a flip). At the end of “Solidarity,” when Billy does his first fouette’s, the woman gasped “Good boy!” And as intermission began, I heard her telling her friend that she started to tear up when she saw that. I can just imagine what she thought when he absolutely drilled the spins at the end of “Electricity,” which, no surprise, got loud applause from the audience.
I have to comment here too because it made me so happy to read! Dancers (I'm DEFINITELY not one) and balletomanes alike will always appreciate the amazing work of the Billys, but I find as a fan of the show that I'm always so happy when a Billy nails a particular dance. Though I don't think I've ever said, "Good boy!" lol I have let out a "Yes!" or a "Wow!" or a "Holy crap!" :D

Enjoy the rest of your shows!!!
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

rob_hanson1979 wrote: The issue is mostly just Tony's age. Most of the other age issues would be cleared up if Tony were a bit younger, would make it all more believable.
This has always been a source of curiosity for me, as Tony seems to be the one character whose appearance rarely matches the age that he's supposed to be. I remember thinking the first time I saw the show in London that Joe Caffrey (the original Tony) looked more like he could be Billy's dad rather than Billy's older brother. The production team apparently decided the same thing when - after leaving the show - he returned a couple of years later only to be cast as Jackie Elliot, which I thought he was much more believable as. There's certainly plenty of available twenty-something actors out there who could play Tony, so not sure why they haven't gone with someone younger (such as the current Tony in London) more often than they have.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

This writer, from the Richmond Times-Dispatch, absolutely hated the show. One of the worst pans of the show in memory:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/entertainm ... b5887.html
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Given the situation that I described in my review of the first show above, with all the subs in, and the show running overly long, I am not that surprised by the Times Dispatch review. It's a shame, but sound issues and glacial pace, not to mention glacial temperatures outside, as I described, could not help but affect the critic's take on the show. Of course, the criticism of the music is just what we have heard many times before. But to call the choreography "limp" is a new low, and to ignore Drew's talent makes no sense.

I can not help but think how much better the show would have come across had it been performed at the Carpenter Center down the street, a much more appropriate venue for a show of this scale.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Saturday, February 2

Matinee

Billy: Noah Parets
Michael: Sam Poon

Subs
Dad: Craig Bennett
Mrs. W. : Molly Garner
Grandma: Susan Haefner
Other cast adjusted as necessary

This show was much more cohesive than last night’s performance, running in its normal time frame. The sound was better, at least from where I sat on the far left side of the auditorium. I would have called our seats in row J partial view, but there was no price break for that, and in fact the location was not that bad, especially since we were near the aisle where Billy exits the stage. As a side note, I believe the tour has started carrying its own set of stairs that can be pushed up to the stage to facilitate Small Boy’s entrance, the kids’ Second Act entrance, and, of course, Billy’s exit.

The audience for this performance was smaller than that on Friday evening, and the response was somewhat muted in my opinion. Noah gave what I would consider an absolutely cracking performance as Billy. What a good actor he has become! His singing voice is also beautiful. And the dancin’ : The Dream Ballet really stood out for me at this performance, seeing it from House Left. The coordination with Chris Howard’s OB was really beautiful to see. In B2B, Noah got some crossovers going with the jump rope, too. Patrick Wetzel has really come into his own as Mr. B, and the audience really responded to his antics.

Mrs. W. was played by Molly Garner, who is normally Dead Mum. Wow, she is good! I mean seriously good! Excellent acting, singing and dancing. I want especially to compliment her delivery of the “very f**ing special” line. It did not get a laugh. This is a positive, not a negative, in my book. When Mrs. W. can pull that off and make the audience feel what she’s feeling, which I felt she did admirably, then my hat is off to her!

I mentioned above that the audience was muted. Well, where this really showed was in the response to Sam’s Michael. Poor kid! He was working his buns off without a payoff. The audience was simply not feeling the love for Michael. I have never seen such a dead response to the ending of “Expressing Yourself” in all the performances I have seen. I am completely mystified by this.

I saw the evening performance with Mitchell as well. The audience was much more responsive. I’ll write about that one later when I have some more time.

Two more to go…
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
muck912
Tall Boy

Post by muck912 »

[quote="ERinVA"]Saturday, February 2

Job Christenson has really come into his own as Mr. B, and the audience really responded to his antics.

Is Job back? A couple of weeks ago in Montreal Job was nowhere to be seen, not in the program and not on the cast board. I figured his time with Billy was done.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

No, sorry, I should have said Patrick Wetzel. Correction made.
Ellen

rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I'm glad to hear the audience didn't laugh at "really F***in special" They usually do, but to me, this comes out of the emotion that Mrs W feels for Billy, and its not meant to be funny. It should almost be a moment where the audience gets choked up. But alas, anytime you use the F word, you'll likely get giggles.

Perhaps we could buy that reviewer another ticket to see the show again?!?!? Maybe their views would shift a little.

Erin, I've spent a good deal of time in the south, and even lived in Florida (although Florida is not "the south") but I won't pretend to know all the the attitudes and views of everyone in Virginia. However, when I was reading what you wrote, one thing crossed my mind. Do you think maybe the response for Express was so muted because the audience isn't really open to the idea of two young boys crossdressing?
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

ERinVA wrote:But to call the choreography "limp" is a new low,
I was sitting here reading that and just wanted to ask that critic if he's referring to the "limp" choreography that won Mr. Darling both an Olivier Award and a Tony for Best Choreography?? :o

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”