Options for 2014

Will "Billy" be staged all over the world? A place to discuss.
We will move posts, if starts, so has own section, like London, New York etc
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Re: Options for 2014

Post by accessmenj »

Porschesrule has reminded us that Billy Elliot The Musical may not be performing in London next year. Others have pointed out the expense of the London trip. ActingDude17 thinks that the tour may return to previous cities, but for shorter stays. Rob_hanson1979 thinks that many cities, like Toronto, would support a longer run. Or perhaps an International Tour.

I can't wrap my brain around the chance of BETM not being performed anywhere in the world. So I will continue with the other options.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Well, I see three possible options available that would keep it in the public's eye - if it ceases being performed live (in descending order of wonderfulness):

-record for DVD sale and tv performance a Gala Live Performance, a la the recording of the Les Miserables 25th Anniversary at the O2, reuniting old cast members from the UK, US, Canada, Australia and Korea, and children from the Billy Youth Theatre, for a Grande Finale.

-record the show in situ, edited as a flawless production, for general sale. This could be sold on a dvd, and
played in movie theatres as part of their Broadway/Opera Series.

-offer the Billy Youth Theatre's production and score to other countries, making it suitable for school productions, just as has been done for Les Mis.

Of course, it will live on through Youtubes, the cd, and our memories. And it will return. You cannot keep a Good Billy down!
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Those are all exciting possibilities. Wouldn't we all love a DVD of Billy Elliot The Musical to help hold us until the live production returns.
cainmac
Small Boy

Post by cainmac »

Try reverse/complex psychology: "I don't deserve your help, but if you can, I'll be forever grateful!"

Either that or: "My kingdom for a tutu!"
That's it! "My kingdom for a tutu!" If I make enough at the off-ramp, we'll plan a group trip.

:lol:
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I've noticed some people here refer to seeing Billy in the "Mother Church" in London... is this a commonly used phrase to describe the VP Theatre?
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

rob_hanson1979 wrote:I've noticed some people here refer to seeing Billy in the "Mother Church" in London... is this a commonly used phrase to describe the VP Theatre?
I have seen it and used it. too. 'Mother Church' or 'Mother Ship'....it is the spiritual home of BETM for many. My dad went there in WWII as a US B17 pilot, on leave from bombing runs over Germany from RAF Lavenham, so walking up the same stairs and, seeing the old posters with Arthur Askey and other notables of the times, always warms my heart.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

So the second possible option for 2014 is that the SETA tour resumes. This is possible since the physical side is in place with the trucks, scenery, costumes, etc in place. Also, the production has names of many actors who have been, or want to be in the show.

But I remember reading on this forum that a theater contacted NETworks about a possible run in 2014, and the theater was turned down and told that the tour was ending. So it would take a change in plans to re-start the tour. And the new SETA contract would be costly.

http://www.actorsequity.org/NewsMedia/n ... 16.SET.asp

I am sure that returning to previous cities would result in full theaters, but I am not sure that it would result in the profit margin that the investors are looking for. My guess is that the SETA tour will not resume.

Anyone have a comment on this or any other options?
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

rob_hanson1979 wrote:I've noticed some people here refer to seeing Billy in the "Mother Church" in London... is this a commonly used phrase to describe the VP Theatre?
I think it began after BETM started playing in various other locations - NY, Chicago, the tour, etc. It's just a way to identify the VPT as THE original home of BETM. I'll be making my annual "Bil-grimage" to the Mother Church in May. Though seeing it in other places is great, there's nothing quite like the VPT. ;)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

accessmenj wrote:So the second possible option for 2014 is that the SETA tour resumes. This is possible since the physical side is in place with the trucks, scenery, costumes, etc in place. Also, the production has names of many actors who have been, or want to be in the show.

But I remember reading on this forum that a theater contacted NETworks about a possible run in 2014, and the theater was turned down and told that the tour was ending. So it would take a change in plans to re-start the tour. And the new SETA contract would be costly.

http://www.actorsequity.org/NewsMedia/n ... 16.SET.asp

I am sure that returning to previous cities would result in full theaters, but I am not sure that it would result in the profit margin that the investors are looking for. My guess is that the SETA tour will not resume.

Anyone have a comment on this or any other options?
I think this from porschesrule, posted in a different thread, is relevant to this question:
porschesrule wrote:I stumbled upon this article about the business side of touring. Though it's not a new article, I believe it's still pertinent and I thought might be of interest to this discussion.

http://www.actorsequity.org/newsmedia/n ... ing102.asp
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I have seen it and later used the phrase myself. When you live anywhere around the world where the show has played, the hope is to also make a pilgrimage to the Mother Church to see it there where it began. The accents will be much closer to reality, as will--I hope--the cursing. The phrase takes on funny dual meaning for those of us who are or who have been members of the clergy. I was a monk for four years, and have heard a still-vowed religious monk has been going for years too. Does he still? Anyone know?

Whether you're religious or not, spiritual or not, seeing Billy Elliot The Musical can be a truly religious experience!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “Where will "BETM" play next ?”