April 2013 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

April 2013 Reviews - London

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 4th April

Tade/Zach/Macy

Those who have played football or merely spectated will have experienced the disappointment of being deprived of a last minute winner (or equaliser) due either to an errant linesman or a referee who should have gone to Specsavers. Thus were the fantastic and huge number of spectators deprived of the privilege of seeing Tade’s exciting Angry Dance due to a technical fault (stairs stuck and wouldn’t descend). Of course, the disappointment was no less for Tade himself. Without doubt this would have been the climactical highlight of a magnificent first half performance by the oo-ah Utah boy but, instead, the stage boss called for the interval.

However, nothing seems to faze these Billy Boys and Tade came out second half with the intention of making up for the disappointment with one of the most mesmerising Billy performances I have ever witnessed.

Tade may not “sting like a bee” in the Boxing world but he most certainly “floats like a butterfly” in Dream Ballet and we got a truly memorable one danced with the brilliant James Butcher. This was just pure magic on its own but, not too long afterwards, Tade was singing the opening bars of Electricity with that gloriously sweet melodic voice. As he strode with purpose to front centre stage I could feel it in my bones that we were about to become witnesses to something really special. The manner in which he stared down at the “fourth wall” with determination and no little emotion in that voice told its own story. As he flung the bag at Dad and flipped backwards it was like as if someone had switched on a well-oiled complex machine that immediately obeyed the start button and swung into glorious action and momentum with the greatest of ease. What followed was stunning, stunning, stunning, breathtaking, breathtaking, breathtaking. I was in complete awe. My heart was thumping. My mind was boggled. My eyes were misted over. In tandem with that magical musical accompaniment Tade danced his way into history. The final spins heralded the final pose and all hell spontaneously broke loose and lasted a looooooong time. Tade held his pose for ages, smiled and took it all in, calm as you like.

There were a few members missing from the cast but this did not matter one iota because everyone piled in and gave their all. Can’t mention them all but Helen was a superb classic Mrs. W, Steph Parry a hilarious RBS receptionist, Craig Armstrong seems to be loving every minute as Big Davey, Gillian Elisa lapping up the role of Grandma and stalwart David Bardsley playing his own inimitable Dad (and still with great singing voice).

The involvement of the audience today in Maggie Thatcher was first class with many more cast members shouting encouragement and clapping right across the width of stage.

New boy Zach had full control of the audience and has his own enjoyable and entertaining Michael-isms. Macy is at the very top of her game and she and Tade produced another perfectly timed and funny Toilet scene. A word of congratulation for Small Boy Sonny who has been around for ages and Tall Boy Tom who played his part with splendid enthusiasm and great acting.

This was yet another show par-excellence for which I am truly grateful.

There was great disappointment when the show closed on Broadway and that Tade didn’t get to perform as many shows as North American fans and he would have liked. For those of you crossing the pond to London for the 8th birthday in May you are in for some treat. Not only is your boy alive and well but the flames are shooting from his dancing feet. For those who might be undecided about coming – there is still time.

Pat
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: April 2013 Reviews - London

Post by porschesrule »

As always, Pat, a wonderfully descriptive and enthusiastic review. Nice to hear things are well in London and you guys are taking good care of our boy Tade and that he's responding to that care with entertaining performances.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

patc wrote:The manner in which he stared down at the “fourth wall” with determination and no little emotion in that voice told its own story. As he flung the bag at Dad and flipped backwards it was like as if someone had switched on a well-oiled complex machine that immediately obeyed the start button and swung into glorious action and momentum with the greatest of ease. What followed was stunning, stunning, stunning, breathtaking, breathtaking, breathtaking. I was in complete awe. My heart was thumping. My mind was boggled. My eyes were misted over. In tandem with that magical musical accompaniment Tade danced his way into history. The final spins heralded the final pose and all hell spontaneously broke loose and lasted a looooooong time. Tade held his pose for ages, smiled and took it all in, calm as you like.
Loved this, Pat. :D This paragraph could be used for so many performances of this incredible number, but it all belongs to Tade in this moment in time. I continue to be so happy he got another chance at playing Billy, and I'm delighted to hear London is taking such good care of him and appreciating his many talents!

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I agree with the others. Another terrific review, Pat.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

A great review, Pat, as always!

I will certainly be there for the 8th Anniversary. Row B.
cadillac-crazy
Audience Member

Post by cadillac-crazy »

Monday 8th April
This is not my personal review of Mondays show as I wasn't there but my opinion (rant) of what happened on the night.
I first saw the show in 2005 and have been going to about 12 shows a year since, so I have seen around 100 shows now.
The two parts of the show I have always disliked are the start of Act 2-I find the strained pantomime type jokes a bit silly and
pointless/boring. The Margaret Thatcher death song I have always been uncomfortable with. Over the last couple of years when her health has deteriorated rapidly and she has been close to death I have felt this song should have been dropped from the show as it is inappropriate and in poor taste.
I had wondered how VPT would handle things when Margaret Thatcher did die and had hoped they would show common decency and show respect and remove the song from the show, if not permanently AT LEAST on the very day she died and for a period of time afterwards.
For me they shouldn't have asked the audience whether they wanted the song kept in-THEY should have removed it themselves.
The fact that there were two reporters in the show to see what they would do and how the audience would react shows there was uncertanty as to what would happen.
It is reported that only 3 people out of the whole audience voted for the song to not be included??
Everyone is entitled to their views on whether the song should be included, but if I was present personally I would have walked out of the show when the death song started.
Since Mondays show various yobs/idiots around the country have been having 'death parties' to mark Margaret Thatchers death and this further proves in my mind that this song should definitely be dropped from the show-it is just as much in poor taste to keep it in the show now as it was on Monday.
I must say that I did have great respect for Margaret Thatcher so my views on this subject are biased and I'm probably the only one on this forum that has this view regarding this 'song' and perhaps I am being a bit oversensitive about it??
For me the show has been brilliant over the years and it has been amazing fun going to see it-I last went four weeks ago and was planning to again in a couple of weeks time, but not now. I will not be going back to see it again.
I may be considered an oddball for my opinions but it's something I do feel strogly about.
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

So sorry that you feel you cannot go to BETM again cadillac-crazy, I too have felt uncomfortable with merry Christmas maggy song
I,m not a great fan of Maggi Thatcher, but she did do a great deal of good work, and some bad as well, and when she come to power in 1979 the country was nearly bankrupt,but she did make some bad moves, the poll tax etc
I think BETM is wrong to include this song in the show at the moment, it could be returned to the show -say- a week after the funeral, or better still, take up kport,s suggestion in altering the words
You have been to BETM much more then I have so you must enjoy the show, I see the show about 6 times a year, and I,ve decided to continue to see the show, at least for this year (I,ve still got 4 tickets) and I hope you will change your mind, and come back to the show, at a later date.
pollybillyelliot
Small Boy

Post by pollybillyelliot »

BILLYFAN and cadillac-crazy: I understand where you are coming from and I don’t have a problem with what you are saying but I completely disagree with your views about "Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher". I feel that the song shows how the miners and their families felt at the time and people shouldn't be offended by it; remember, Billy Elliot isn't set now it is set in a time and place when the Tory government were hated and this is a portrail of the way the miners felt at that time. I feel without the scene, the whole musical would lose some of the message of how difficult it was for the miners in the 1980s. The audience were clear in their voting that the scene was a historic representation of the time and did not need changing.

I have only seen the show 4 times and I would love to see it as many times as you. I can't express how much I love the show, and for you, cadillac-crazy, to have seen it 100 times and then to decide to never see it again because of this issue must spoil the memories that you have of the show. If I could see it that many times I would feel so very lucky.

Polly xx
Markymusical
Audience Member

Post by Markymusical »

My partner and I have been to see the show 12 times and we love it to bits. Pollybillyelliot's comments are bang on, she fully understands the show and the message it gives. The Tory government were ruthless towards the miners and it is not surprising that they hated Mrs Thatcher and her party to such an extent. I have cried during the Maggie scene because it reflects through satire the hardship these people faced. I am sure Mrs Thatcher was not in the slightest put out by the scene when she was alive, you don't become PM by letting personal things upset you.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Welcome to the forum, Marky. Glad you decided to join us. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - London”