List of Possible New Threads

Eltonjohn
Miner

List of Possible New Threads

Post by Eltonjohn »

Mod, I don't know whether or where the following topics might already reside, but I would be interested in seeing any discussion on same....

In no particular order.....

Post Partum Billy National Tour Blues

- after months of intense anticipation and the fullfillment of taking in multiple shows, getting autographs and wearing swag, tracking the trailers' arrival to load in, pouring through this forum for hours as well as scores of Billy-related youtube vidoes, I am blissfully exhausted and inspired but also a little bit sad to see the show hit the road and move on to its next group of enthusiastic audiences. Have others ever experienced the same let down anti-rush? How did you manage to recover? Is there a 12 steps BilAnon program and where and when do the various chapters meet?

Chairs Motif

- sitting in the theatre with my eyes level with the floor of the stage (up close in the first ten orchestra rows), I couldn't help but think about the pivotal role that chairs play throughout the show. I think that there is the potential for at least a Masters if not a Doctoral thesis in theatre arts waiting to be scribed on this topic, wadda y'all think?

More Thesis Topics

- compare and contrast the scenes where

Anakin Skywalker as a young boy in Star Wars Episode 1 leaves home to become a Jedi Knight

versus

Billy Elliot says his goodbyes to Mrs. Wilkinson and hopefully auditions his way to becoming a ballerino supremo.

(e.g. both boys are exceptional, dreamers, talented, f__king special, yearn to 'look back' but are advised not too by their mentors)

- discuss the theme of Solidarity vs. Individuality (i.e. conformity) ... society/community-wise, family-wise, boxing and dancing-wise, etc.

Mod.
Are there any places on this family-friendly forum where gender orientation, gender identity and cross dressing themes are discussable appropriately? E.g. Where is the thread about how poufy the Scottish dancer comes across?

Reason I ask is that at one of the performances in Vancouver, when Billy kisses Michael in the last scene with the bike, there was a very significant gasp reaction from the audience, who are in a city that is considered to be very progressively GLBT-forward.... so I was shocked by their shock. Mind you, I was also dismayed by the middle age 'theatre going' audience demographics... I expected to see a LOT more parents bringing their dance-prone kids to the show, despite all of the (toned down) crude language warnings.
BETM: "the most expensive school play ever."
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: List of Possible New Threads

Post by kport »

I think many of these topics have been discussed as part of other threads. If anyone wishes to introduce one, he or she is free to do so (as long as the Forum's rules are followed) and whether or not they elicit any interest will follow.

There are scores of threads that did not produce a discussion. And there are more that did.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Eltonjohn wrote: Mod, I don't know whether or where the following topics might already reside, but I would be interested in seeing any discussion on same....

Post Partum Billy National Tour Blues
- after months of intense anticipation and the fullfillment of taking in multiple shows, getting autographs and wearing swag, tracking the trailers' arrival to load in, pouring through this forum for hours as well as scores of Billy-related youtube vidoes, I am blissfully exhausted and inspired but also a little bit sad to see the show hit the road and move on to its next group of enthusiastic audiences. Have others ever experienced the same let down anti-rush? How did you manage to recover? Is there a 12 steps BilAnon program and where and when do the various chapters meet?

There is already a BETM Withdrawal thread under the » "Billy" Around the World category. I'm not sure why it is located there instead of under General Chat. It hasn't been active in a while, but might be a good place to add some thoughts.
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Eltonjohn wrote:Chairs Motif

- sitting in the theatre with my eyes level with the floor of the stage (up close in the first ten orchestra rows), I couldn't help but think about the pivotal role that chairs play throughout the show. I think that there is the potential for at least a Masters if not a Doctoral thesis in theatre arts waiting to be scribed on this topic, wadda y'all think?

More Thesis Topics

- compare and contrast the scenes where

Anakin Skywalker as a young boy in Star Wars Episode 1 leaves home to become a Jedi Knight

versus

Billy Elliot says his goodbyes to Mrs. Wilkinson and hopefully auditions his way to becoming a ballerino supremo.

(e.g. both boys are exceptional, dreamers, talented, f__king special, yearn to 'look back' but are advised not too by their mentors)

- discuss the theme of Solidarity vs. Individuality (i.e. conformity) ... society/community-wise, family-wise, boxing and dancing-wise, etc.
Here's the thread you want: http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... mes#p79329
Eltonjohn wrote:Mod.
Are there any places on this family-friendly forum where gender orientation, gender identity and cross dressing themes are discussable appropriately? E.g. Where is the thread about how poufy the Scottish dancer comes across?

Reason I ask is that at one of the performances in Vancouver, when Billy kisses Michael in the last scene with the bike, there was a very significant gasp reaction from the audience, who are in a city that is considered to be very progressively GLBT-forward.... so I was shocked by their shock. Mind you, I was also dismayed by the middle age 'theatre going' audience demographics... I expected to see a LOT more parents bringing their dance-prone kids to the show, despite all of the (toned down) crude language warnings.
Those themes could just as well be discussed along with the other themes in the thread linked above. Comments about the audience's reactions to those issues often get discussed in reviews by forum members, and/or discussion of linked reviews that comment in some way on those issues.

NOTE: The Search tab at the top of each page is a very useful tool for finding possible threads to fit ideas that you would like to discuss. For example, if you want to know if there has been a discussion about themes, you can go to the Search tab and type in the word "themes." That's what I did to pull up the thread that I just linked for you above.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Archive”