May 2013 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: May 2013 Reviews - London

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody for the terrific reviews.

I can only concur with all the comments.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Saturday 11 May ( A belated, but brief review)

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine asked me why I went to see 'Billy Elliot' so regularly. I now wish I had taken him to one or both of the shows on Saturday, as after either one I would simply have said, ''That's Why''. Two shows full of emotion, but played out in differing styles by Redmand Rance and Harrison Dowzell.
I have called Redmand a few names in recent months, all complimentary, of course, and on Saturday he again put in a performance like a well-oiled machine, so smooth and silky. This must rank amongst the best of performances I have seen from Redmand. His acting, singing and dancing were of the highest order, but his acting skills alone for one so young are quite something. The use of the furrowed brow and many facial expressions were there to good effect, showing his feelings about what was happening to him and around him on stage. None more so than in the Toilet scene with Debbie ( Dayna). The contortions in his face ending with the puffed up cheeks, giving the impression he was about to 'puke' were priceless.
Electricity was, once again, very strong, with determined ballet movements.This, quite rightly in my opinion,received a long, loud and, in some cases, a standing, ovation. Redmand's face was a picture of delight and you could see him saying, ''Wow, wow''.
All the cast played their part in an excellent afternoon's entertainment.

The evening show was, of course, even more emotionally charged and the tears were starting to flow from the stage during 'The Stars Look Down'. Enter Harrison. Apparently, he was nervous before the show, but you would never have guessed it, as he turned up trumps, once more, with a superb performance. Everything from start to finish went perfectly in his usual all-action style.
Sitting in seat C16, just behind me, was a young man, who, I noticed Harrison glance down at a couple of times. A smile is never far from Harrison's face and there was no doubt that he was enjoying himself immensely. Regular visitors to the show would have known what to expect from Harrison's Angry Dance, but this rendition was surely the firiest ever as Harrison pounded his way back and forth across the stage, swearing and cursing, but somehow maintaining perfect rhythm. The ear-piercing scream at the end was quite deafening. The young man behind me was the first to rise and applaud. He said to me, ''That was amazing''. Praise indeed, as that young man was none other than Ryan Collinson.
The Dream Ballet duet with Barnaby surely hasn't been performed any better and drew applause and admiration from the audience long before this had finished. Breathtaking is the only word I can use to describe Harrison's version of Electricity, especially with a couple of new moves inserted. He completed this in customary style with the flip off the wall-board and this was the cue for a massive standing ovation, so well deserved.
The show. of course, was not only about Harrison, as we said 'Goodbye' to some 'old friends', from Small Boys, Tall Boys, Ensemble and main cast. Together they truly made this show 'One for the Album'.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

So many great reviews from those fortunate to be at the VPT Saturday night. Thank you all for sharing your experiences with those of us who couldn't be there. Reading them, as they say, is the next best thing...
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

TUESDAY 14TH MAY 7-30pm

Harrison / Zach / Millie

Sorry for the delay on Tuesday's review, but I was going to be in London overnight working with the public on Kings Cross Stn at 6-30am and was stood there all day, Gosh! my dogs were barking I could have done with Mrs Wilkinson's "Chair" Anyway what a good excuse it was to go on Tuesday night to see the new cast, another good evenings entertainment.
It didn't get off to a good start when in the Kitchen scene, the table rising with Tony hammering away, jammed, so we had a break for about 5 minutes for repairs. Unfortunately another hitch in Dream Ballet either a problem with the wire or safety clip, it will be so frustrating for the stage hands. As it happens, they did a good job didn't they, as the final curtain was down on time.
Of the new cast, lets start with Ann-Jane Casey, she really is a gusty and flairety Mrs Wilkinson, I really enjoyed her performance, she works the punch lines well, yet shows that she cares for Billy's progress, you'll get a little shock when when the dress comes off in Shine.
Howard Crossley, shows a different style as George, I like the way he shows his digust at Billy and Michael's lack of interest in boxing, He really looks like a George thats, never done a hard days work in his life.
Kevin Wathen has a hard act to follow Killian as Tony, didn't get off to great start with the table stuck, only the 2nd performance, I'am sure he'll make his impression, enjoyed him with Deka in, He Could be a Star.
Alex Loxton as the older Billy has a slightly different routine in Dream Ballet, he and Harrison were going so well until the hitch with the wire, anyway everything went well, when that was rectifed.
The Ensemble and the Ballet Girls, to me the unsung hero's of the show and were as good as ever. Newcommer, Charlotte Riby is from our area.
Well I was moaning not long ago of missing Harrison, well just like London buses I've seen him 2 shows on the trot and he's was excellent again throught, his Electricity was spot on and for his Angry Dance, its makes me wonder were he get that energy from, I wonder whats he like on a soccer pitch.
Nice to see Zach for the 2nd time, well impressed with him and finally and certainly not least Millie, love that stomping and that little jump up the step in the Goodbye scene. A "big thank you" to the rest of the cast not mentioned and again thanking you all for a great night.

Barry's corny joke -Got home and heard my neighbour had been arrested for punching his wife, she had been disloyal to him. Anyway, Chinda Goodanpropa is pleading not guilty.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks for the Tuesday :D review, Barry. Great joke, too.

Thursday matinee 16th May

Tade/Zach/Millie

Mrs. W: Helen French
Grandma: Gillian Elisa

Having missed Tade by a mere 24 hours last week I was delighted to see his name on the board for this afternoon’s show. As it happened I missed Zach and Millie by the exact same timescale so all was put right in the one show.

Helen French was Mrs. W. According to the programme at the National Concert Hall in Dublin, Anna-Jane Casey was billed to appear there tonight with three other soloists but I don’t know whether she did or not.

The audience for the matinee was probably the worst involved that I have ever encountered at the VP and, throughout the first part of the show, gave the impression that they had all come straight from a funeral. I felt sorry for the new cast having to deal with that but deal with it they did and a standing ovation ensued at the end.

Tade was in magnificent form all through. His eloquent, precise and deliciously controlled Electricity would have had Lazarus himself climbing Mount Everest and, if there were any “mourners” left in the audience by Electricity time, they were lifted out of it good and proper. Tade’s lovely smile said it all.

Complementing Tade’s superb show we had the brilliant Zach displaying all his class and bouncy little Millie provided great fun and frolics with her fellow ballet girls.

There were a few new things but nothing major. The Scab is wearing the alternate jacket and there are now 250,000 men unemployed at the mines!

It would be unfair to compare the performance of a brand new cast with that of the previous guys and gals who had 18 months or so to hone and fine-tune their acts. The bottom line for me is, did I leave the VP as thrilled, uplifted and emotionally drained as I have been every time all these years and the answer is YES.

I am really looking forward to seeing this great new cast develop their roles over the coming months. Well done to all concerned and thanks for another great show.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I've posted these in the 8th Birthday thread but thought I would post them here as well.

Here are some more photos from the 8th Birthday Show.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your review, patc. I am sorry that I missed Tade on my trip to London. :( I elected not to go to the Thursday evening show on May 9 because it was my arrival day after an overnight transatlantic flight. I could have gotten a day ticket on arrival, but decided not to, which I now regret, because he was not on again until the day I left for home. :| But I am thankful that I did see Tade on Broadway, so at least I can count him among my Billys.

I have been so busy since arriving home (going straight into two full days of rehearsal for an ambitious choral concert, with the performance last evening) that I haven't had time to comment about the shows I saw while in London, but perhaps I'll be able to add something to the May Reviews thread once things have settled back to normal. In the meantime, I am thankful for all the excellent reviews already here, and also for the great photos from our photographer par excellence, Billy Whiz.

Thanks!!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:I am sorry that I missed Tade on my trip to London. :( ...But I am thankful that I did see Tade on Broadway, so at least I can count him among my Billys.
Sorry to hear that, Ellen. :( But yes, you got to see him on Broadway. :)
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

Saturday 18th May 2.30pm mat.

Billy..................Tade
Michael..............Thomas M
Debbie...............Dayna D

Victoria is looking more like a battlefield every time I go there, I don't know what the tourist think of it.
I guest that it would be either Tade or Harris playing Billy, and it was Tade
The audience wasn't as bad as Patc discribed on Thurs. but they could have been better, although they did "wake up" dueing the show, it could have been that it was a special audio discription show for blind or nearly blind people, and some of the headsets wasn't working properly
The show was very good, just when you thought it could not get any better, it did.
I like the new Mrs Wilkinson
Tade's "danceing" in the boxing scene was very funny,in shine and solidarity Billy was pushed ,shoved, and kicked, and Tade played the part well
Expressing yourself Tade and Thomas seemed to work very well I was in seat D24 and it is a good seat, but in the letter, you can only see Billy's back so could not see his expression
The dream scene was excellent with a well diserved applause at the end
Electricity..was electrifing with a standing ovation at the end
The finale quickly came and nearing everyone was standing for the ovation
Over all a very good show, I like the way Tade plays Billy and the new cast seemed very good
July 20th is my next time to see Billy
tzwicky
George

I thought to post this here ........

Post by tzwicky »

I thought this might belong in this thread.

Talk about the laser focus of BillyManiacs.

I dunno where they were sitting, but from the coverage, it seems like Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher were at the Saturday night performance of BETM at the VPT.

These two Hollywood types start near riots whenever they patronise a club or restaurant or anyplace for that matter, even when they're in London.

Here's the link I saw: http://www.contactmusic.com/news/mila-k ... ts_3678188

No photos from the VPT, but is Saturday night a regular night for one of the gang? Because someone must have at least noted (or anyone else could have, for that matter) their arrival or departure, which is when the riots can occur.

But with that BETM laser focus, I'd only see them at the interval, and not even that if they were upstairs, or if they were sat in the best seats, Row B to the left and right of the center aisle.

Otherwise it might be like when The Queen was in the house. No hub-bub, no screams, no fans boys or fan girls.

Really though, with any of the current Billys on stage, "piffle" would be my reaction to interlopers from Hollywood.

(OK, maybe I'd squeal at Ashton)

tzwicky

Return to “Reviews - London”