Hartford Reviews

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Hartford Reviews

Post by kport »

angelenroute wrote:THANK YOU ALL!!! And so great meeting the few of you I had never met before!!!

PLEASE keep posting reviews and even just random mini-reviews as you think of them, as you know people worldwide will be happy to see more whenever they come in!

Quick anecdote: Before Noah's final show, I got my Playbill and then decided I'd make a quick trip to the bathroom before the show. Shoved the Playbill under my arm at the urinal, went, flushed and then...

...the Playbill fell into the water as I flushed and started walking away! I said, "God I hope that's not a bad omen for the show now!" It wasn't of course! Noah made his finale an amazing one in so many ways, and the only foretelling you might read from my accident was that I bawled my eyes out at the end with the final "See ya Jake," ... "Yeah, see ya Noah," lines, which both actors said sooooooooo sadly. My face was in pain as I held back the tears.

In the future, whenever I want extra good karma for a great show, I may just flush a Playbill again. :D

Sean
It is possibly the thinnest Playbill I have in my rather extensive BETM Tour collection going back nearly three years (VPT gives out dickybird*, by the way....)!

I am sure you did not disrupt Hartford's effluent elimination services by flushing it away........

(*'dickybird' means 'nothing'. Jackie would know!)
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

On the flight home today, I started jotting down notes for a review but I don't think I can add any more to what has already been said by our fantastic reviewers :D but I did want to say that the five shows I saw in Hartford this past weekend were performed by a cast who put their heart and soul into these performances. This cast took the show to new levels and left me saying the word "wow" too many times to remember. :shock: The North American tour most definitely went out on a high note.
angelenroute wrote: The shows themselves were all filled with moments I’d never experienced anywhere else in the world! Loud gasps and immediate applause as Billy first takes flight in Dream Ballet gave me goose bumps each time. I was amazed at how this scene so enthralled the audiences in Hartford even more than anywhere else, including London and Broadway. Something about it just lifted them up in the air like Billy, and for a few moments there, we were all flying.
I love this paragraph, Sean! :D They were some of the most enthusiastic BETM theatre goers I've ever seen. From the gasps when Billy starts to fly, to the standing ovations after Electricity, these crowds really took to Billy. (I'm very proud of my native Connecticut audiences. Well done, Hartford ;) )

Rich
Mactor17
Small Boy

Post by Mactor17 »

While I was sad I missed the final show, I was thrilled to see 3 shows in Hartford, including the final show of Noah. His letter was incredible and made me cry for the first time since my initial time seeing the show. After missing Janet Dickerson for 2 shows, it was great to have her back. Her singing was top notch and her acting is always superb. After seeing about 10 tour performances, I feel badly not mentioning Rich. His version of dad is always consistent and perfect. He was really a standout for me this weekend.
It feels weird that there is not the next time seeing Billy.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

My thanks as well for your review Sean. Reading it just now brought the whole weekend back to life for me. You have such a great way with words, and expressed many of my feelings better than I could do myself.

I love the new tag line: "Stay inspired". It would be great to see it on a variation of the "BE Inspired" t-shirt. :D
-Chris
:/
tomtorfan
Small Boy

Post by tomtorfan »

Such an elegant and eloquent piece of writing, Sean. Thanks so much for that.

I can add very little to the feelings you expressed so well. This last weekend's performances were all exquisite.

Others have remarked on Janet Dickinson’s warm send-off remarks after Noah Parets’ last performance on Sunday. She brought him forward, arm around him. As her praise flowed, Noah (along with the entire cast and everyone in the audience) hung on every precious word. Noah was struggling to hold it together.

But he wasn’t the only one.

Standing right behind Noah and Janet was young Jake Kitchin, absolutely inconsolable. Ten years old, and you’re hit with the realization that one of your best friends is about to move away for good.

The letter has come. “This is it.”

Noah’s move may just be one state over. But when you’re 10, it might as well be an ocean away. And you know that even if you do manage a visit, it won’t be the same.

In a way, I think we can all relate to Jake’s struggle with that. Even if we manage London, we won’t have the collegiality of the tour. We won’t have the same gaggle of familiar faces on stage or in the audience.

One of our best friends has moved on.

Yes, we have other friends and we’ll make new ones. Yes, we love other shows and we’ll see new ones.

But it just won’t be the same.

In her Broadway Billy blog, Kate Hennig addressed the pain felt by BETM’s cast members, especially the young ones, when it came time for them to leave the company. She was writing from the performers' perspective, but I think her message also resonates for the many fans of the tour.

“No one ever really leaves Billy Elliot,” she soothed.

She's right, of course.

No matter where life’s adventures take us, no matter what we do, a little bit of Billy (and his well-packed suitcase of memories) will always travel with us. For that, I'll always be grateful.

Thanks to all for a wonderful weekend.
We will find a new tomorrow
When we come to rest at last...
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I LOVED that, Tom! Thank you so much for taking the time to write that! Very, very well said!!!

Sean
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Thank you all for the wonderful reviews and comments about Hartford.

It was a wonderful, memorable, emotion filled weekend!

I am so glad I made the trip...

Thank you to cast and crew and fans for making it such a special weekend! More to follow, as I collect my many thoughts and feelings!

maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Many thanks to Chris on writing up salient details of the weekend, Sean for the excellent Stay Inspired piece (more to say about that in another post), Tom's astute insights as well and David's wonderful pictures!

As for my reflections. In the span from Thursday 7:30 PM to Sunday 9:30 PM, (74 hours), 6 shows. How insane/incredible is that? ;)

I'll try not to dwell on a disappointment overly much, but I think it needs to be mentioned. In the Saturday matinee, it was Mr. Braithwaite that got tangled in his jump rope during "Born To Boogie". Twice. I believe it was during the second occurrence that he was yelling the line "Easy!" Which bordered on the absurd, but I suppose it provided a good backdrop for Billy (Mitchell) to show off his jump rope skills.

In the Saturday evening performance, it seemed to me that while Mr. Braithwaite did not get tangled in the jump rope, for a significant portion of the time he skipped at a slow and deliberate pace, out of sync with the music and out of sync with Billy (although that could be called 'normal' once Billy goes "Faster!").

I reported in Schenectady how the 85% split was marginal at best as a Mr. B signature move. That is to say, the move that is repeated during the "Company Celebration" bow. In Hartford, Mr. B did the split in B2B, but not at the end. Instead, the signature move became sticking out his tongue. Ummm.

Paging Patrick Wetzel.....Paging Job Christenson....

Anyway. It was quite interesting to see three different takes on Mrs. Wilkinson. Cara on Friday and Saturday matinee, Molly taking over Thursday night and then doing Saturday evening and Janet on Sunday. The balance between gruff and tender is a delicate one and that was reflected by the different interpretations.

I've said what I can about (Super) Drew over in his thread.

Two other special moments are worth echoing what has already been reported, from Noah's finale. I've seen Noah perform a bunch of times and watching him perch on that piano at the end of B2B and pause just for a split second...and then do the flip!!! OH, MY! Was that electric! I really wanted to join the lone soul giving Noah a standing O for that, but knew that only a scant 0.1% of the audience would understand the significance.

And then Billy's Reply. I was fortunate to have a 3rd row right side seat and watching Noah get overcome with emotion, but still capably singing through the number ... very moving, even with that being my 56th time viewing that scene.

Above all, the weekend will be long remembered for the camaraderie and good times among kindred spirits, the superfans of the Best Musical in history. Thank you all, and I hope for the day when another opportunity for something like this may arise.
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

A FINAL REFLECTION:

OF DADS AND SONS (why I fell in love with Billy Elliot the Musical)

Elton John was struck in the heart by the movie. Based on his relationship with his own Dad he was moved to envision a musical version of the story. My first show was in New York (Kiril Kulish/David Bologna) and in short I was moved to my core. I was at a a Saturday Matinee and I rushed to the Box office and got a ticket for that night (Trent) Like Elton,I too was struck in the heart. And so my journey through 59 shows began. I thought at first that it was because I was so amazed at the talent of these kids. I was truly amazed. But I have come to realize that it was something deeper, something so much deeper.

At it's center the story of Billy is the story of a Father and son. When I was about Billy's age (13yo) I lost my Dad to cancer. I was devastated. He was my hero and mentor. He was old enough to be my grandfather (I was often embraced to have my friends meet him) But I know that in his eyes the "sun rose and set on me". He was a big man, strong but very very gentle (that's what it means to be a gentleman) When I cried, he tasted salt. My fondest memories are of me sitting on his lap and us singing together. He taught me to harmonize and we would smile and laugh when some notes did not match. His mantra was "integrity" (always be yourself) He believed in me. Billy Elliot, both the movie and the musical brings back these fond memories and makes me still grateful for his love.

I was moved to share this little reflection, because of the final two weekends on the tour. I have had the opportunity to meet the moms of many of the Billy’s and some Michael s. I was struck with their dedication and sacrifice, traveling for months or years from city to city. In Grand Rapids and Hartford I had the privilege of meeting and speaking with the Dads of all three remaining Billy's. I had met Mitchell’s Dad back in Clearwater and a few times since. At Grand Rapids and again in Hartford I met Noah's dad and had a nice meeting with Drew’s Dad at the hotel in Hartford. I was impressed and so "moved" by these men. So proud and so supportive of their sons, their faces lighting up as they spoke of them. They reminded me of my Dad and how much I still miss him. I don't really know Noah, Drew and Mitchell well. From my brief meetings with them they do seem like great kids but I have come to care about them and have great hopes for their future. They are BLESSED to have such supportive and loving Dads.

Joe
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

atreyu wrote:I've seen Noah perform a bunch of times and watching him perch on that piano at the end of B2B and pause just for a split second...and then do the flip!!! OH, MY! Was that electric! I really wanted to join the lone soul giving Noah a standing O for that, but knew that only a scant 0.1% of the audience would understand the significance.
That was a HUGE moment, yes! He got up there and I looked at him and thought, "Oh my God, he's actually gonna do it!" And then he did, and I let out a loud "YES!!!" of joy. So happy for him!!!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”