North American Finale, Hartford

atreyu
George

North American Finale, Hartford

Post by atreyu »

Here's to Billy, a Toast

This is titled "Here's to Billy" but the first aspect to note is all the roles, cast and crew, around Billy that make the show run. Starting with Dad and Mrs Wilkinson, Michael and Debbie, the ballet girls, the ensemble, Grandma and Tony, directors, musicians, stagehands, choreographers, riggers, all the staff and actors and actresses, way too many to name. Without all of these contributors, there isn't much of a show. But it's "Here's to Billy" because without the incredible talents of The Bairn, there is no show at all. So Here's to Billy starts with recognizing those who stand in the reflected glory of the star, but with one who goes and Shines so brightly, that is an honor in its own right.

Here's to Billy is also for the fictional character, the genius of Lee Hall and the vision of Stephen Daldry and the enchanting, heartwarming story that we've come to know and love.

But more than anything else, Here's to Billy recognizes the very f**kin special individuals who make the fictional character come alive, the multi-talented, young professionals that transform a literary figure into flesh and blood. Who so thoroughly and convincingly live out Billy's story that every spectator gets to live vicariously his adventures. Together shedding tears over the grief of missing Mum, together being swept up in the exhilaration and freedom of Expressing oneself through dance (and other means). Together feeling the rage of being denied by circumstance beyond one's control, getting the inspiration of seeing an entire town come together. And together ultimately riding high on the triumph of success.

Watching Billy make that journey with all the peaks, the valleys and the spectacular scenery in between is so powerful an experience that we here in the forum will freely admit being addicted to it, returning time and again to relive the emotional lows and highs. Here's to Billy is for the boys who portray Billy and tell the story with such incredible ... "Style".

These boys are often called triple threats for good reason. But one more facet I would argue is equally important as the dancing, singing and acting ability and that is mental "focus" for lack of a better term. How many of us know of youngsters (even adults) who possess a wealth of talent but lack something upstairs and end up merely squandering that talent. But starting with Giuseppe, Daniel, Lex, Michael on through Ty, Ethan, JP, Kylend, Zach down to Ben, Noah, Drew and Mitchell, a Billy who has made it through the rigors and challenges of Billy school and performed on stage is one who has the intangibles, has been through the grind and comes out fully formed and polished, indeed "leapt from the brow of Zeus". Here's to Billy is for the shining success of each and every lead actor in this role, a powerful testament to the capability of a 13 year old.

Just one more thought, if you will. These boys don't get through the excruciating training without a ton of support. How many dozens or hundreds of trips to dance studios, schools, auditions did it require and what cost has it been to the families. Sacrifice is too simple a term to capture the disruption, the real expenses and sometimes even the drudgery involved. Here's to Billy recognizes the critical support of moms and dads, brothers and sisters in getting Billy to be the best he can be.

That's a very long-winded way to make the point, so let's get to the bottom line, a toast. Let's break out the champagne (and sparkling cider) and raise a glass:

Here's to Billy!
jdmag44
Michael

Re: North American Finale, Hartford

Post by jdmag44 »

Long winded ? Hell no. A beautiful tribute. I will be forever gratefully for the 14 Billies who amazed me-thrilled me- moved me to tears -inspired me - and filled my soul with joy. I have had the privilege of meeting many of them (although briefly) and was so impressed with their humility and graciousness. The Billy Elliot experience will live with me forever. THANKS to the hundreds of people who have made this amazing production possible.

Here,s to Billy !
BillyElliotIsAwesome
Audience Member

Re: North American Finale, Hartford

Post by BillyElliotIsAwesome »

I'd like to echo all of atreyu's comments. It's been a pleasure seeing various Billy's, with the supporting cast, in a few different cities, and in doing so, meet forum members. Too bad the last show is in Hartford, as getting there just didn't work out. Unfortunately, the airfare was an exorbitant amount. Hope everyone had fun at dinner last night. Enjoy the final curtain call. Perhaps there will be a revival in the near future. One can only hope. My glass is raised high to a great run!

Return to “Special Show Nights - US/CA Tour Archive”