July 2013 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

July 2013 Reviews - London

Post by Billy Whiz »

A place for July's Reviews. Keep 'em coming folks.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: July 2013 Reviews - London

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 4th July

Ali/Thomas M/Dayna

Grandma: Gillian Elisa

BETM is a great leveller. What I mean by this is that, at any given performance, people from all walks of life are present in the theatre but, no matter what branch of the tree of life you are perched on, the show has the same effect on your feelings and emotions and you exit the theatre arm-in-arm (metaphorically speaking) with your fellow patrons.

There are two pairs of incredible eyes and two unique voices that have been missing from my Billy adventures for quite a considerable length of time. Those eyes and voices are the exclusive property of Ali Rasul and Thomas Moore so, on arrival at the theatre, the excitement was high when both names were on the Board. 2.30pm couldn’t come quick enough and the presence of hordes of youngsters spread throughout the auditorium meant that we were in for yet another atmospheric show. Who wants to be in school when you can be down at Billy?

Ali’s voice and diction is incredibly crystal clear. If you were standing at one end of Platform 15 at Victoria Station and he was at the other end you’d hear it standing out among all the babble. But what of his performance?

OMG, OMG, OMG. Gobsmacked, Gobsmacked, Gobsmacked.
When the interval arrived the babble of excitement among and between those of the Thursday faithful who had seen him perform just the once before and those who hadn’t must have sounded like idolatry. We were all fighting to get a sentence in and make our points. What about his heartrending Letter? His acting in the scene when Dad found him in the Ballet class and that tense pre-Angry Dance scene. Those hilarious rolling eyes that said it all when Debbie popped the question. His spectacular spin across the stage in Solidarity and, of course, Angry Dance itself. An Act 1 of compelling quality and class.

On to Act 2 and another spectacular Dream Ballet with Alexander that lifted Billy almost into outer space. The Royal Ballet committee got more than they bargained for when Ali defiantly marched to the front of stage and then roared into unbelievable action. I sat in my seat transfixed with what was on view in this all-action version of Electricity that had everyone gasping with admiration. I was already overwhelmed with emotion by the time he came back to front of stage to complete the song and bring the dance to a spectacular finish with his own sensational wall flip. There is one particular twisting movement he performs that defies logic as well as gravity. I have programmed the data into my trigonometrical and logarithmetic calculators and they confirm it cannot be done from that position. But it was done and, like watching Dynamo, Magician Impossible, I’ll just have to accept that I saw it happen but don’t know how it was accomplished. The applause for this brilliant dance lasted a very long time and Ali seemed genuinely surprised by its intensity.

At the end there was a massive standing ovation ready to greet Ali on his return to the stage. Up ‘til now the undisputed King of Hartlepool was the ebullient Jeff Stelling but Ali has just gone and dethroned him.

It was wonderful to hear Thomas Moore’s voice again. It has a very special quality that defies proper description. The only one I have been able to come up with so far is “endearing”. He uses it so intelligently and effectively in all of his scenes to extract the maximum emotion from the audience. The eyes complement the voice. In the Boxing scene they evoke mischievousness. In Expressing it’s pure divilment. In the Winter scene it’s comedy/pathos/comedy/pathos. The manner in which he led us up to and delivered the Nutcracker today was monumentally funny. Luckily, the seats in the VPT don’t lean backwards or I’d have been laid out like in Emirates Business Class (not that I’ve ever actually even been in Emirates Economy). As the final curtain descended there was thunderous applause and cheering led by the youthful part of the audience. I didn’t mind that at all. They were genuine in their appreciation and didn’t spoil my enjoyment (if that’s the correct word) of Thomas’ expert handling of that oh-so-moving end to the show.

Deka/Anna-Jane/Kevin/Gillian/Howard/Simon Ray/Kay and the entire Ensemble were magnificent and this combination of youth and adult is such superb entertainment. The harmonies now in Once We Were Kings are exquisite and every bit as good as if not better than any Welsh choir in the valleys. But, of course, we all know that this creative doesn’t rest on its laurels and that more is to come.

I hope that Ali and Thomas fully realise just how much they thrilled, entertained and made it a special afternoon for an almost full house.

I hope that the full cast, creative and music gurus know how much all of us enjoyed their mesmerising performance and that is why many of us go back time and again to experience what this show does to our hearts and minds each and every time. It’s the one tonic that never fails to work.

THANKS-A-MILLION.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Go home Billy wrote:
patc wrote:THANKS-A-MILLION.
And 'Thanks a Million' to you too Pat for another wonderful review...

... it's almost like being there! (Oh, I was :D )
Sadly I wasn't there, but Pat's review was definitely the next best thing.

Thank you.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
akugafi
Small Boy

Post by akugafi »

Thanks for the review. I just cant wait for the show! :)
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY 4th JULY MATINEE

Your a hard act to follow Pat! and can't say much more, you've covered things so well in that unique style of yours, so much appreciated.
It was the first time I've seen Ali, Gosh! I was so impressed with him throughout!, he has a slight cheeky way of playing Billy, which I really enjoyed, lets hope I get a chance of seeing him again. Just to add to Pats review I loved, in Electricity the way he forcibly sang "as mad as hell", his dance routine was shear magic, some of the twist and turns were outstanding, great expressions from Deka during the dance routine. What a well long and deserved ovation from a packed matinee audience, Ali just stood there in amazement enjoying it and "why not"
Pleased to see Thomas Moore again as Michael, he's just a comical bundle of fun with good timming. A "Big Thanks" to all the cast for a top notch performance, extra thanks to the ballet girls and ensemble for your hard work.

Barry's corny gag - Paddy with his dog & Murphy at the river bank, Paddy said to Murphy,throw the ball into the water, the dog will go and get it.The dog then set off and walked on top of the water, got the ball and walked back on top of the water. Murphy said, thats was awfull of you, you didn't tell me the dog couldn't swim.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 11th July - all day

Matinee: Harrison/Joe/Francesca

Evening: Ali/Zach/Millie

Dad: Steve Paget

Grandma: Gillian Elisa

Australian No.11 batsman Ashton Agar's record-breaking 98 at Trent Bridge, Notts was not the only suprise package on Thursday. At the VPT our surprise was the notice that said Steve Paget was playing Dad. I had only ever seen Steve play some smaller roles so to step out of the Ensemble and deliver two stunning performances like this was fantastic. He looks the part and is the part and there were some of his scenes where he got me going emotionally where I have not been got going emotionally before. Ah well, we should be used to this sort of thing in BETM by now but this is the extra great thing about the show. Something new is always happening. Huge kudos to Steve.

Elsewhere in the show extra little things are being included almost on a weekly basis. Even Small Boy has been brought in on the act with a new prop that is so funny. The genius that thought that one up should be knighted, LOL.

The day's play got under way as usual at 2.30pm. Harrison won the toss and elected to bat first and it would be true to say that the attendance was bowled over by the other Notts boy. Even the intense London heat, try as it might, couldn't stop his all-action and energy-sapping display of Billyship. Such was its intensity he must have had to drink ten gallons of water - at the tea interval alone! He had two remarkable slip fielders in Joe and Francesca who never dropped a ball all day. All over the ground all of the other players were strategically placed to thrill and excite another big attendance. Quite a target was set for those batting second.

Ali led his team out to bat at 7.30pm and continued on where he left off last Thursday in a replay of supreme quality. His slip fielders Zach and Millie were equally up to the task and his field was suitably set to wear the opposition down. By 10.30pm the scores were tied and, as darkness fell, a halt was called.

The wonderful crisp and clear theatre sound system was in full flow and even those in attendance near the long off and long on boundaries could hear everything sung and said whether the sound came from those with long legs or short legs.

I'm not sure if pads are used in the music but it certainly delivered ethereal sound.

In Dream Ballet there were two great partnerships between the amazing Alexander Loxton and his respective Billys during which both Billys were lofted for mighty sixes.

I was creased up in the Boxing scenes, Toilet scenes and both Nutcrackers required no Hawkeye. Both hit middle stump.

One other point I'd like to cover. I've said it a few times already but have to say it again that Anna-Jane is a brilliant addition to the squad and her Voice "Orchestrations" are magic to hear.

At the completion of each innings a delirious attendance stood to acclaim the day's play.

Looking back on the day's proceedings with all players back in the pavilion, I'm aware that Agar scored 98 but the big difference was that Harrison/Ali, Joe/Zach, Francesca/Millie, and the Ballet Girls, full cast and creative all got centuries.

Isn't it great to have a show that has no square legs in round holes.

Keeping Wicked off the top of the rankings will continue whilst this level of performance is maintained.

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Pat, Glad to see you were not stumped for ideas for your review. I, also,caught the afternoon show and, yet again, was bowled over by Harrison's performance. He is never Root(ed) to the spot, he never just Trot(t)s around the stage and after his Electricity he definitely looked Cook(ed). Harrison did not bat an eyelid and no alarm Bells were ringing as he went through the repertoire, including the Swan(n) Lake ballet, in fine style. I would certainly declare the show a triumph with the winners being those in attendance who were privileged to witness the entertainment.

One last thing, LBW. (E)Lliot Before Wicked !!
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Nice one, John :lol:

Broad(ly) speaking, I agree. :D

Pat
myrte
Small Boy

Post by myrte »

Last week I was in London for a few days. I saw Billy Elliot twice. And both times with Tade Biesinger. Wow ! He was amazing! Acting dance and singing were fantastic. Especially the angry dance was very good! So much power and anger. And his facial expresion after the dance when he walks of the stage.. :shock: It makes me almost scared. :D The saterday matinee I waswas sitting in the B15 seat. I really enjoyed seeing the show that close to the stage!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

patc wrote:the notice that said Steve Paget was playing Dad. I had only ever seen Steve play some smaller roles so to step out of the Ensemble and deliver two stunning performances like this was fantastic. He looks the part and is the part and there were some of his scenes where he got me going emotionally where I have not been got going emotionally before. Ah well, we should be used to this sort of thing in BETM by now but this is the extra great thing about the show. Something new is always happening. Huge kudos to Steve.

Elsewhere in the show extra little things are being included almost on a weekly basis. Even Small Boy has been brought in on the act with a new prop that is so funny. The genius that thought that one up should be knighted, LOL.
Happy to hear about both of these notes, Pat, thank you! Always great when an ensemble member gets to take on a larger part and show us how great they can do it too. And though I want said prop to remain a mystery for a little while longer, so Forum members close to The Mother Church can see for themselves, I hope the info will leak out eventually too. :)

Sean

Return to “Reviews - London”