July 2013 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
akugafi
Small Boy

Re: July 2013 Reviews - London

Post by akugafi »

My cousin is saying its like a 'heat wave' in London atm, hows the theatre like inside? Cool? Warm? Just wondering..
Katwoman
Small Boy

Post by Katwoman »

Akugafi: it's got air-conditioning!
akugafi
Small Boy

Post by akugafi »

Thats good then haha.. Ive read somewhere about a theatre which is hot n stuffy during summer :P
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

In my experience, the air conditioning in the VPT fluctuates. When it's on, you may need to wrap up to keep the air from blowing straight down your collar, but then when it goes off, you are too warm. This can happen several times during the course of one show.

However, since this is a reviews thread, perhaps we should get back to reviews of the show.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Friday 19th July

Ali/Zach/Demi

Saturday 20th July

Matinee: Elliott/Joe/Millie

Evening: Redmand/Zach/Demi

Adult cast changes:
Dad: David Bardsley (all 3)
Dead Mum: Claudia Bradley (all 3)
Mr. B: David Muscat (all 3)
Older Billy: Lee Hoy (Saturday evening)

When you have watched three incredible shows in a row and want to do detailed reviews of all three you'd need to borrow 24 hours of members' time so, consequently, I'm not going to be able to mention everyone and everything.

However, to begin with, the entire cast from Small Boy to Grandma are in absolutely cracking form. If I had to shave with a blade this sharp I wouldn't risk it. The other thing is that all other musicals I have seen, great and all as some of them are, have, at some stage, a few boring scenes to be endured or scenes where your mind becomes distracted. Billy does not have even a millisecond where you're not glued to the story or to any and all of the characters on stage at any given moment. Your mind and emotions are constantly engaged.

We had the same brilliant Ballet Girls troupe for all three. Some are small and some are now tall but the energy and class expounded in three shows was relentless and they were loving every moment of it. Their embroidered skills in conjunction with the magnificent Anna-Jane has turned an already superdance Shine into supersonic. I'm struggling to keep my feet still especially during the "pink" part.

The incredible Ann Emery did all three shows. Where she gets the energy from I do not know. She is actually doing more in her role now than she was doing seven years ago and is still as agile and enthusiastic and with a most magnificent twinkle in her eye. The most-loved lady on any stage in the West End.

Special mention this week for two more lovely ladies among the new cast. Claudia Bradley was superb as Dead Mum (what a beautiful voice) and Charlotte Riby has made the hilarious role of the RBS receptionist all her own.

At the matinee there was a slight problem in Dream Ballet. There appeared to be a difficulty attaching Billy to the wire and the show had to stop for a few moments. I was particularly impressed with the manner in which Older Billy protected Billy from any chance of flight until the curtain came down. The high wire routine continued after a very short break .

In the Saturday evening show new Debbie, Demi, gave a repeat performance of her fantastic Friday evening outing and the delightful cheeky-charlie Millie was in brilliant form in between.

David Muscat was our illustrious Mr. B and did everyone proud. His Diaghilev speech with the crisps is a classic. As well as that he has a way of twisting his eyeballs that is the equivalent of having a twinkle in his eye.

OOPS, nearly forgot about the Billys and Michaels...........only joking. :D

It was the same story. Just when you have thought yet again that you've already seen it all you discover you haven't. When the news broke during the week that a 10 y/o Billy was starting on Wednesday night there were gasps of disbelief among Billy fans. At that age I think they're usually only being sussed out. Well, I can tell you that 10 y/o Elliott Hanna (in only his second show) was sensational. Cool as a cucumber he took every scene in his stride, danced, sang and acted (with even a cheeky twinkle in his eye some of the time) in a manner usually associated with a seasoned professional. Far from being too young it would have been criminal negligence to delay any further the release of this boy onto the VPT stage and into Billy folklore. The big two dances, Angry and Electrified were monumentally performed and we were all saying afterwards, what is he going to be like in 6 months time. He was paired with the redoubtable Joe Massey (current longest serving Michael with brand new Billy) and they gelled together magnificently. In Expressing, Joe, as usual, took complete charge with that infectious, impish smile (and twinkle in his eye) so Elliott just let himself go with the flow and was led a merry fundance.

Either side of Elliott and Joe's show we got another two humdingers from Ali and Redmand both with Zach.

It would be very accurate to say that those of us who decided some time ago to do a weekend mini-Billython in July were rewarded with three truly amazing and brilliantly entertaining shows. I loved every (milli)second of it.

Ali/Elliott/Redmand, Joe/Zach, Millie/Demi and all the cast and creative - THANKS for a glorious weekend at the VPT. There is nothing quite like it.

There is also a great temptation to do it again later on............so we have already succumbed, LOL.

Pat
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Cheers and thanks again Pat, "the wizard of words" have a safe journey home. I was only down for the Friday performance so a "Big Thanks" to Ali and all the cast!! Yes, Ann Emery is just unbelievable it was so nice to have a little chat to her on her way out of the theatre. Oh! and by the way Keefy we didn't go to Spec Savers for our meal this time, we went to Prezzo's, I tell you what, try their salmon dish, it lovely.
P.S. - Well Done Demi your a Gem! the Princess of Middlesbrough.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Saturday, 20th July

Yesterday I really thought I was at Brands Hatch. It took me back to the time when I would, quite literally, roar around that track with the likes of Stirling Moss. The difference being that he could lap me with no difficulty whatever.

However, why Brands Hatch?

The first big heat featured a suped-up little mini-clubman in only its second ever race. It was a fast little spinner and is obviously destined for plenty of races ahead - maybe even five years, you never know. Mind you it was good that on one occasion the driver's safety harness had to be properly secured. This necessitated a very short pit stop when the marshall had to momentarily stop the race.

The second big heat featured a fantastic sleek Rolls Royce. At one stage I really thought it was going to overheat but was inwardly reassured that Rolls Royces never break down. And of course it didn't. The calm consistency and composure of this vehicle was a joy to behold. No banger racing ahead for this one! It's price will probably even rise quite dramatically as it gets older.

Needless to say both cars won their heats in fantastic fashion.

The electrical components of both these cars were of the 'ballet' type and the nostalgic smell of burned rubber and screeching tyres so reminiscent of those heady Brands Hatch days. The burned rubber here was, however, of ballet shoes and the screeching came from all the young girls who sat directly behind the pits.
akugafi
Small Boy

Post by akugafi »

Fantastic reviews! :)
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you all for the tremendous reviews.

It's so good to hear that the show is in safe hands with this wonderful cast.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

LOL, brilliant, Malcolm.

If you had been able to get to the Friday evening show as well you could have included a FerrAli in the Brand's Hatch race :D .

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”