Publicity for Sao Paulo

StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: Publicity for Sao Paulo

Post by StevenKing »

dongringo wrote:
StevenKing wrote:
accessmenj wrote:This brings up the question as to why this publicity in Brazil is so much better in both quality and quantity than it was in any city in the USA or Canada!
Because brazil is spending a HUGE amount of money promoting itself.
I really don't think that's it at all. The promotion is for the locals, not for the world to hop on a plane to go all the way to Brazil to see BETM. I think it's just because they know that this is the first and most likely last time BETM will ever be there so they are simply into it. Just my two reais. :D
It could be that it's a MUCH larger theater and they have WAY more resources to work with.
kadu
Small Boy

Post by kadu »

I guess it's because of how popular musical theater has become over here in the past 10-15 years. It is a huge "industry" now in São Paulo and brings a lot of money to the city. Every new production that opens here receives this kind of media attention, especially big shows, and even though Billy Elliot is an international tour doing an small engagement, they are getting the same treatment.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

kadu wrote:I guess it's because of how popular musical theater has become over here in the past 10-15 years. It is a huge "industry" now in São Paulo and brings a lot of money to the city. Every new production that opens here receives this kind of media attention, especially big shows, and even though Billy Elliot is an international tour doing an small engagement, they are getting the same treatment.
Makes sense. ;)

By the way, thanks for all the input. Nice to hear about the show from someone who is there.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

When in doubt, listen to those who live there. :D ;) I like that answer, kadu!

Sean
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Thanks everyone, for answering my question, but especially kadu since you have the best perspective on Sao Paulo. It shows that the success of Billy Elliot The Musical does depend on how receptive the community is to musicals in general, and working class values and acceptance in particular.
kadu
Small Boy

Post by kadu »

I think the story of Billy Elliot resonates a lot with the general Brazilian public... If there ever is a Brazilian production of the show, I'm sure it would do great business.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

kadu wrote:I think the story of Billy Elliot resonates a lot with the general Brazilian public... If there ever is a Brazilian production of the show, I'm sure it would do great business.
With a successful run in Sao Paulo, we can hope that T4F will consider bringing Billy Elliot to one of its venues in Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

BEtourfan wrote:With a successful run in Sao Paulo, we can hope that T4F will consider bringing Billy Elliot to one of its venues in Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires.
The only way I see BETM being presented elsewhere in Brazil is a totally new production -- probably in Portuguese and certainly not with the present Touring cast. In my opinion, once this cast disbands on Sunday, it would be neigh on impossible to get it together again.

This three week visit of the show in Sao Paulo will have served its purpose of showing producers there whether an extended run of the show is viable.
kadu
Small Boy

Post by kadu »

porschesrule wrote:
BEtourfan wrote:With a successful run in Sao Paulo, we can hope that T4F will consider bringing Billy Elliot to one of its venues in Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires.
The only way I see BETM being presented elsewhere in Brazil is a totally new production -- probably in Portuguese and certainly not with the present Touring cast. In my opinion, once this cast disbands on Sunday, it would be neigh on impossible to get it together again.

This three week visit of the show in Sao Paulo will have served its purpose of showing producers there whether an extended run of the show is viable.
I agree with that. If they ever decide to bring Billy back, it will be with a full Brazilian production... Teatro Abril or Teatro Bradesco would be perfect venues for it (even though I don't think The Lion King will be leaving Teatro Abril anytime soon). Ok, let's stop dreaming! haha
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kadu wrote:Ok, let's stop dreaming! haha
Never!!!!!!! :lol:

Return to “Publicity - US/CA Tour Archive”