August 2013 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
angelenroute
Billy

Re: August 2013 Reviews - London

Post by angelenroute »

So happy for Tade, and glad to hear it was a complete success!

Sean
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks to Westletonion, jacob, patc, Barry Appleby and dancingboy for the great August reviews. It's wonderful to keep up with how well the show is doing in London and, from their very descriptive reviews, we forum members "across the pond" are able to do so.

Thanks everyone!
tomtorfan
Small Boy

Post by tomtorfan »

Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2013

Billy: Harrison (his 125th performance!)
Michael: Joe
Debbie: Dayna

It was chilly in the VPT at 7:15 p.m., so I put on the light coat I’d brought. Big mistake. By the time Angry Dance was over, I was sweating almost as much as Harrison was (at least he had a good excuse).

It had been 14 months since I’d last seen Harrison perform and I’m delighted to report that, like fine wine, he has aged very well indeed.

His dancing has a confident exuberance that only comes with mastering your material. And make no mistake: he has mastered it. His Electricity was flawless – he engineered (and there’s no other word to use here as it defied the laws of physics) a spectacular side aerial from a half-crouching position that prompted a gusher of applause long before this street warrior was done. His Angry Dance had a raw, visceral edge to it that was astonishing.

But it was his acting that impressed me even more this time. It’s the little extras that aren’t in the script...the little nuggets that the Billys come up with on their own...that can turn a good performance into a great one. On this night, Harrison was a thespian on fire.

The most impressive evidence of this came in the lead-up to Angry Dance. There is he is standing on the kitchen table, watching Mrs W., his dad, Tony, and their fellow miners. But long before Mrs W. tells him he hasn’t got a hope in hell, his face and body language unmistakeable registered Billy’s anguish and despair. His dream is falling apart in front of him. Harrison looked like he was about to burst into tears. So by the time he actually jumped off the table, screaming in frustration and anger, it made for a heart-stopping and brilliantly effective transition from the build-up we’d just witnessed. The only other Billy I’ve seen do this as well was Julian Elia.

A quick word about two regulars who’d I seen before: Joe Massey was Michael. If there’s a Michael in this universe who appears to have more fun dressing up, smiling and dancing with his best friend, I have yet to see him. He was actually giggling as he struggled into his tutu. The audience loved it...especially his proud mom, who was sitting a couple of seats away from me.

Deka Walmsley’s take on Dad remains one of my favourites. On this night, the heel-clicking pride he showed following his son’s audition drew such a prolonged reaction from the audience that the entire “good-luck-with-the-strike” line was buried under the avalanche of laughs and applause that followed.

Speaking of the audience, the VPT must have made it a condition for Tuesday’s show that only people who really appreciate great theatre would be admitted. They were “into it” right from the start. There was applause during Shine when Mrs. W. tells the ballet girls to smile and they stand there frozen. I’ve never seen that before. There was applause early on in Dream Ballet – long before Billy’s ceiling fan bit – when the audience just decided to let the two on stage know that they really liked the perfect synchronicity they were seeing.

Several performers were new to me: Anna-Jane Casey’s Mrs. Wilkinson is a revelation. She expertly balances the tough and tender sides this role demands, forging a strong bond with her young charge. Her tearful good-bye to Billy ranks as one of the most emotional I’ve ever seen from any Mrs. W. Her accomplished rope work and her amazing one-armed cartwheel at the end of Born to Boogie are also things I’ve never quite seen from someone in this role.

Really loved Kevin Wathen’s take on the role of Tony. The emotional confrontation between Dad and Tony at the mine entrance really comes alive when two accomplished actors put their all into it.

And a final tip of the hat to Simon Ray Harvey and his Mr. Braithwaite, who wowed the audience (he even got a “wow” from Harrison) during a textbook Born to Boogie. What can I say – the man's an entertainer!

I’m sorry I didn’t get to see any of the newer Billys or Tade on this trip. But I did see Tade as a fellow audience member at another play (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time). Let the record show that this will likely end up being the only time a Billy and I could be described as being on the same theatrical level.
We will find a new tomorrow
When we come to rest at last...
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 29th August - all day

Matinee: Ali/Zach/Demi

Evening: Redmand/Tade/Dayna (Ali took over in time to bash Tall Boy)

Grandma:Gillian

Dead Mum: Claudia

What an unbelievable, extraordinary, pulsating, what's-gonna-happen-next day. I can't remember a day when there was so much going on in the course of two stunning shows. The excitement among the many regular fans in attendance was mega. We really ought to have been charged extra for this day of days.

The first surprise came when a rather big Small Boy climbed up on stage in the person of Redmand bringing big smiles to familiar faces. Redmand must have decided that, well, "if I've gotta do this" and then threw himself heart and soul into the role. He was fantastic and none more so when, in the Boxing Scene, he had to walk off with the new SB prop. The way he did this will live long in the memory. I hope Redmand enjoyed it all as much as we did.

Ali was magnificent. His acting/singing/dancing was absolutely superb. The brilliant Zach and he had a ball in Expressing egged on by what was virtually a full house who were in action themselves from the beginning. Almost 1,500 people having the time of their lives. All the big dances powerfully performed. Alexander and Ali in beautiful synch in that wonder of wonders, Dream Ballet and Ali's amazingly athletic Electricity were the dance highlights of Part 2 but the passion between Deka and Kevin in He Could Be a Star was taken to new heights. Who would have thought that was even possible. The crisp sound and musical accompaniment with all those wonderful orchestrations leapt around the theatre bringing enormous pleasure to the ears. Demi, our fantastic new Debbie, was a joy - but not to her stage Mum, of course. More about the Ballet Girls in a minute.

The standing ovations at the end of the show were thoroughly deserved.

This week we managed to get into Prezzos for the between-shows meal by booking in advance and by about 7.10pm we were back and ready for more. In my case this was to be my first show "upstairs" for quite a considerable time and, boy, was it worth it.

The big bonus excitement for this show was Tade on the Board as Michael. We wondered if Ali was going to be Small Boy but he wasn't which, in view of subsequent events, was just as well. Redmand, having had his own ball in the matinee, now set about thrilling another big house with his particular brand of Billyship and he, too, was magnificent with superb acting, singing and dancing.

As Expressing neared, the expectation and excitement got bigger. What can I say? Tade's Michael was so good you could have been forgiven for thinking this was his normal role in the show. He took to it as if he had been born to play Michael. I don't know if he ever played Michael in the Broadway show but, if not, you guys and gals over there have missed out bigtime. This was top-of-the-range stuff. I hope some of his folks were there. Even they must have been amazed.

Redmand threw his entire being into Angry Dance and fell to the floor amid thunderous clapping and cheering. It was noticeable, though, that he seemed to be limping a bit as he stormed off. Nevertheless he was on stage for Part 2 and performed with Alexander another magical Dream Ballet.The only proper place to watch this from is upstairs. For me tonight, it was almost like seeing the show for the first time. Angry Dance has its share of floor lighting to be enjoyed and seeing it without any head movements required allows you to take in the whole picture. Dream Ballet is beautiful from the front stalls but, with its lighting and special effects in view from on high, it simply has no equal as a gorgeous spectacle. The Swan Lake music is emotional by itself but combine it with such impeccable synchronised ballet and flying co-ordination brings sheer beauty into your heart and soul. Tonight, as I watched and listened to this in awe from on high, the memories from previous years flooded back of Isaac and Barnaby plus all the magnificent Billys that have graced this stage over the years. It was one of those great and unique emotional moments that hit you every now and then while attending this show.

Every week we enjoy watching the wonderful Ballet Girl groups in action but to really grasp just how brilliant they are they also have to be seen from on high. Not having seen them from this viewpoint for a long while I was amazed at the work they are required to do in group formation and not even a little toe was out of synch. They must spend hours and hours of hard work perfecting this because you simply couldn't just walk in and do it. And it isn't just the dancing. The sitting/lying on the floor work is all brilliantly co-ordinated (synchronised swimming eat your heart out). It all took my breath away and, while they are engaged in this, they also have to give Billy a hard time. Like the Billys, Michaels and Debbies only the best get into this show.

The various fun and game scenes at the RBS auditions had all been done and the arrival of Billy and Posh Boy was due but, instead, the man in black came out through the door to tell us that a technical problem had arisen. After a delay of about ten minutes he re-appeared and, as I could already see Ali through the door, it was no surprise to hear that Redmand was indisposed and was being replaced. It must have been an enormous challenge for Ali to come on just before his second Electricity of the day but, like the great performer he is, he took it in his stride and let loose with another stunning effort. Where do these boys get their energy from. It can't just be cornflakes.

Due to the late finish the show ended with the chair lift.

I hope I haven't left anything out. It has been a long and exciting day full of drama and excitement in two amazing shows and it's 3.30am here in London but I wouldn't be able to sleep without giving some idea of what it was like at the VPT today.

Ali, Redmand, Tade, Zach, Demi, Dayna, Ballet Girls - you were all fantastic in all departments. Thanks to you all and everyone in the cast and all who had a contribution to make in the shows. I (and approx 3,000 others) had as good a theatre day as is possible. It was better than value for money. It was sensational value for money.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you tomtorfan for your terrific review of Tuesday's show.

Also thanks to Pat for his wonderful reviews of Thursday's shows. The reviews were so full of detail that I almost felt I was there myself. Oh :o Wait a minute. I was there :lol: :lol: :lol:

The fist thing I noticed as the cast started to sing was the clarity. I don't know when the sound system was overhauled but boy what a difference. Everything was so crisp and clear and it made such a difference to the enjoyment of the show.

I can only reiterate everything that Pat said. In the matinee it is the first time I've seen a taller Small Boy than Tall Boy.

The one negative about the matinee was - The Happy Clapper was back :evil: :evil: :evil:

What an annoying person this is. They clap at the most inappropriate time which, of course, sets everybody else off.

Thankfully this one negative was far outweighed by the many, many positives. Ali is superb as Billy and I love his interpretation of the role. This was my first time seeing Zach and I hope it isn't the last. He is brilliant and I can see why people think he looks like Paul Pfeiffer from The Wonder Years. It was also my first time seeing Demi. What a terrific actor. Her diction is so crisp and clear and her timing was spot on.

One stand out perfomance for me was Deka's. What a wonderful acquisition he is. The part at the end of Electricity when he jumps up and shouts is brilliant and then as he walks off he just says "he's mine" so poignantly that it gives me a lump in my throat.

We now come to the evening show and as we looked at the cast board a broad smile appeared on our faces as we saw Tade's name next to "Michael". Tade was made for the role and he is definitely one of the campest Michaels I have ever seen. He was up there with David Bologna for campness - if there is such a word.

It was so sad that Redmand had to be replaced before Electricity as I was so looking forward to his interpretation of it. I was sat in A1 and had a good view of him as he limped off after Angry Dance. I could see a grimace on his face and was actually not expecting him to appear for the second half. I was really pleased when he did though but it must have got to him in the end when he had to be replaced. Redmand is a definite triple threat being superb in acting, singing and dancing. Well done to Ali for coming on and picking up from Electriciy which must have been very difficult to do.

Top marks to Dayna who is only small but boy can she strop around the stage. They say that big things come in small packages and she is proof of that.

Well done to the "unsung heroes" of the show - The Ballet Girls. You are all so brilliant in what you do. It mustn't be easy to look so useless as dancers when we all know that you are fantastic. Thankfully you all get the opportunity to show it in the finale.

This cast, to a man, woman and child, are as good as I have ever seen. They should all be very proud of themselves.

All in all it was a very interesting and entertaining day. Let's be honest it doesn't happen very often that you get to see 4 Billys perform in one day - the last show in NYC being an exception.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
tomtorfan
Small Boy

Post by tomtorfan »

Thanks Billy Whiz and Pat for your vivid documentation of what was a remarkable day at the VPT. Four Billys appearing in two shows, with Tade as Michael and Redmand (!?!) as Small Boy? Amazing. I can only imagine what Tade's Michael must have been like. His appearances as Posh Boy in New York featured some of the most hilarious and over-the-top performances I've ever seen. A minor role, you say? Not in Tade's hands. And has a Billy every appeared as Small Boy before? In the tour, I know that one of the Ballet Girls filled in on occasion. But I've never heard of a Billy doing that. As I said, a remarkable day.

In my review of Tuesday's show, I neglected to mention Dayna. Her Debbie was tremendous -- a real spark plug with attitude to spare. The audience loved her. I thought the Ballet Girls were all first-rate, but I'd single out the ones playing Tracey Atkinson and Susan Parks for special notice. I'd use their real names but the people who publish the 6-pound (six pounds!!) program couldn't be bothered to provide bios or pics of the Ballet Girls, other than the Debbies. There's also no cast board in London that lists all the players for the next performance, so you literally have no way of knowing who is on in many roles. Sorry, but that's just disrespectful and unprofessional. The Ballet Girls all deserve proper recognition of their talents. At least the audience realizes this.

And finally...I'm so disappointed that I missed the Happy Clapper! Perhaps next time. Until then, BETM London appears to be in great shape. Which is good news, indeed, as this is now the only BETM in the world -- a singularity that hasn't existed in almost six years. As good as the London cast is (and it is really strong) any one of the recently retired tour cast could be beamed over to London, taught a few more expletives and some slightly different routines, and the VPT audience would be sent home just as entertained. Hope the world's casting directors have realized that a lot of great talent -- young and not so young -- is now suddenly available.
We will find a new tomorrow
When we come to rest at last...
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Tomtorfan, I seem to recall that Redmand played Small Boy once before. As for the Happy Clapper - you have to avoid Thursdays and the matinee, in particular.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

A master class from the Senior Billy and Michael last night. Well done Harrison and Joe. It is a few months since I have seen either of them and they keep moving the bar. Well done to the rest of this amazing cast as well. A special mention to Helen French as Mrs W. This is my first time seeing her in this role. She was made for it.

I have one criticism and that was the number of sound cues that were missed. I lost count of the number of first words that could hardly be heard or not heard at all.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Saturday 31 August ( evening)

I will leave others to write a full review of this evening's show. I just wanted to pay tribute to a wonderful and brilliant performance by Tade, in what was his last London performance as Billy. Make no mistake, he was stunning. It was utterly professional in every way. There seemed to be no evidence of nerves and everything just flowed naturally. It is a long time since I have been moved by such a strong, impeccably timed and beautifully danced Ballet Electricity. For almost the only time during the evening Tade showed some emotion when he had to listen to the applause that followed. A full-house standing ovation that was well deserved.

Tade has graced the VP stage for just over six months and I am so pleased that I was able to attend his last show. I am sure he has a bright future in dancing ahead of him.

'Thank You' for the memories Tade.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks, John, you have summed it up perfectly with that wonderful selection of words. It was yet another major, major day at the Palace of Dreams.

Saturday 31st August

Matinee: Elliott/Joe/Millie

In a week already packed with surprises, this afternoon saw Elliott's name on the Board so the sense of anticipation was immense. It had been well over a month ago since I saw Elliott for the first time but the memory of that fantastic performance was still fresh. So, what was in store for us today? More of the same and then some.

You could argue that, with a name like his, he was born to play Billy but you just can't walk in off the street and do it. You have to have the talent to begin with and Elliott is sensational in this regard. You can't be that good and not be spotted by this sharklike casting team who sense their prey and then strike. They have it down to a fine tee. As well as that, one of the many things that make this show special is that they don't do clones. Every Billy is fine tuned for him and him alone and, man, have they done another great job here.

Even at this early point of his Billy career Elliott has stamped his own individual touches on the role. Just one example would be in the interview at the RBS where, sitting on the chair, he turns his back completely on the interviewers while Dad does the talking but, on hearing the reply, yes, that his Dad is fully behind him, he swivels around sharply in surprise.

He also carries a mischievous grin where required so you can imagine what Expressing was like with the great Joe Massey in his superb impish smiling form. It was a riot of fun.

In acting, singing and dancing he excels. At such a young age he has already honed his skills in all three disciplines. Everything he does seems to be done with consummate ease yet we all know the effort that is required to reach this level of performance.

So, to cut to the chase, the big audience got more than they bargained for as Elliott charmed and thrilled them scene by scene and, right on cue, he delivered a most eloquent and stylish Ballet Electricity that left even Billy veterans gasping with admiration. Deka's wonderful acting, looks of amazement and tears of joy throughout Electricity has raised this whole sequence to an entirely new emotional level - that most incredible moment in life when your previously doubting Dad comes to realise that you have/are something very xxxxx special.

I am so grateful to be able to see this evolve every week and become completely immersed in it.

Evening: Tade/Zach/Demi

I arrived back at the theatre at around 7pm only to learn that it was Tade's last night - and, if you believe that you'll believe anything :D.

Last nights are both painful and glorious with the latter always winning in the end. On this night we were seeing the very last performance of Billy by a boy from the USA who has won the hearts of all who have seen him perform - the legend that is Tade Biesinger. I recall vividly that first time I saw him in action when he blew everyone away with a most stunning, stunning show topped off with an incredibly beautiful Electricity. Since then he has given us the highest quality entertainment week after week.

However, Tade kept this special best wine for last. Even by his immaculate standards tonight's performance was out of this world. This was perfection personified. David Massey, before the show, had spoken of Tade's talent and where he was from but I doubt very much if anyone seeing the show for the first time expected anything like this. How lucky they (and we) were.

Everyone in the cast rose to the occasion magnificently and gave him the send off he deserved. Zach was absolutely phenomenal and threw himself in with total abandon. I was an emotional wreck long before Electricity on this night of nights but, when it finally came, it lifted an already incredulous audience to unforeseen heights. As Deka watched, reacted and cried to these few minutes of this incredible dance I could hardly see through the tears. This was the big one, the very big one and the memory of it will last forever. The audience rose as one when Tade held his final pose and the applause ran and ran and ran while he took it all in with genuine humble amazement. What an occasion for his lovely family to be there to see and be so proud. Such was the emotional level at that point I didn't get my composure back until the Esquire joke.

The follow-up set of goodbyes didn't help either. Mrs. W's (Helen) parting words brought back the tears and Tony's (Kevin) "see ya sunshine" was spoken with such heartfelt sadness while Zach and Tade's final farewell brought a very poignant show to a close.

The standing ovations at the end were proof positive (as if it was necessary) that this was a truly outstanding performance worthy of a last night.

Tade's family were very generous with their own time after the show and later on brought him out from the farewell party to say goodbye to the fans. We are all greatly indebted to them.

The Billy Elliot Epic rolls on.

My thanks to each and everyone in the cast and crew for another four shows this week of immense quality that have enriched my life with every passing moment.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”