What I did not like about attending Billy Elliot The Musical

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: What I did not like about attending Billy Elliot The Musical

Post by kport »

accessmenj wrote:I hated the "dead" audience at many Billy Elliot shows. This is especially evident in the First Act. Sometimes it seemed that the crowd didn't wake up until Expressing Yourself. Maybe some kids and young adults in the audience would have helped. I find it infectious to hear children giggling and laughing, and that may have gotten all the grandparent-types going.
In North America, the audience is struggling with the story. What strike? Where is this? What are they saying (in a strange accent)?

At least in London they have the opening black and white 'movie' projected at the start. It may not answer all those questions, but it sets a rather dark and, may I say, dangerous mood. In the US production, a little boy dances to a boom box that really doesn't tell us much. An entirely different 'feel' is created. And, most likely, most of the audience do not see the historical posters until the Intermission. I have always noted a clutch of audience members desperately reading those posters at the Interval. I think they are trying to understand the story.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The Broadway show had a version of the projected film. I am not sure why the tour dispensed with it, but it would probably have been better to keep it.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

accessmenj wrote:The USA needs a children's theater version of Billy Elliot The Musical that will allow more kids to experience and be inspired by this show.

I agree. I have spoken to several friends who teach drama in US schools about this, and have tried to point them in the right direction. The problem is that the BYT was promoted in the UK, largely through VPT and The Arts Council. There is no longer any such 'anchor' to promote it in the US. That opportunity ended when Broadway closed; I am not sure it is part of NETwork's remit. I do not think US producers are encouraged to promote outreach that does not satisfy a bottom line - with the exception of regional theaters, such as my local one in Ogunquit, which not only has a summer youth theater camp but does a lot of work in local schools. They just put on 'Joseph' with Clay Aiken and a professional adult cast - and the kid's drama camp - about 30 if them did a fine job for three weeks.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

kport wrote:
rob_hanson1979 wrote:
ERinVA wrote:So far as I know, there is no London theatre that offers free programs of any size. Even the small playbill-sized programs will cost you something.
The same thing in Australia. When I saw Love Never Dies in Sydney, I was really hoping for a playbill program. However they didn't have any. The only thing they had was a souvenir photo book for $20. Of course if it was BETM I would've bought it. But I wouldn't do that at every show.
I did end up buying the musical on blu-ray though, thats a really nice souvenir to have.

Yup.... really nice to be able to enjoy musicals at home in HD.... sure do like that...
Then. clearly, the North American audiences were truly blessed! I have 50 Playbills, all annotated. From London - I have the credit card statement. :(
Agreed! From Sydney I don't even have a real ticket stub, since my friend did the print at home option :-s

Toronto also had the opening video projected on the screen. The boom box is really hard to hear and certainly doesn't give you the backstory the way the video did.
That being said... without knowing all the details of the miners strikes... isn't it fairly obvious as the show goes on? I can understand someone wanting to know more about the strikes, but I can't imagine this is an obstacle for understanding the show.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Yorkie wrote: the real scam is the price of the drinks at the VPT!
And the price of the ice creams !
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I once paid $12 for a bottle of Dasani and some gummy worms.
madashell
Small Boy

Post by madashell »

Katwoman wrote:I hate it when the final curtain goes down!
Worse than that, I really did not like when the show was running late, and the "Company Celebration" (or finale) was dropped. After being used to going home with a smile on my face, I felt robbed as I was leaving on a "downer" after the depressing scenes of Billy leaving home.
lis_ting
Audience Member

Post by lis_ting »

madashell,that really sounds terrible!when did it happen?

In Sao Paulo, I saw a ballet company group of kids,and also another group wearing a unique t-shirt,I believe it was from a regular school.
As I've only seen it once in London,I really can't make a nice comparison,but I had the feeling that there were more kids than here in Brazil.One reason I guess is because it wasn't actually a Brazilian production,and even with subtitles,it may be a little difficult for a younger audience to completely understand the show.I remember a little girl sitting behind me always asking her mom to explain to her the jokes.Of course she couldn't totally get the meaning of everything,but in the end she was really amazed.
Another reason is that The Lion King is still running over here,and even though there were lots of ads about how short BETM season would be,it is really hard to compete to Lion King which is in Portuguese.There are lots of people who I talked to that didn't even know
about the movie Billy Elliot,let alone the adapted musical.

Anyway,I agree that a younger audience really puts up a "good mood" in the place.It is always nice to see kids watching the show and becoming more confident about not giving up on their dreams.At least,this was really evident here in Brazil,as I hope it is too in London,Us,South Korea and Australia
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

madashell wrote: Worse than that, I really did not like when the show was running late, and the "Company Celebration" (or finale) was dropped. After being used to going home with a smile on my face, I felt robbed as I was leaving on a "downer" after the depressing scenes of Billy leaving home.
I completely agree with you on this. I suffered the above disappointment the first time seeing the show in Toronto. They started late (about 20 minutes) because of a sound problem and cut the celebration. We were told it was mainly due union contracts and having to pay overtime. Fortunately I saw the show twice more that weekend. That helped make up for things.
:/
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

It also happened at the final show in Philadelphia. I was told the people were standing by to load the sets, and had to get started as early as possible.

Return to “"Billy" Around the World”