Reviews of the show
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

September 2013 Reviews - London

Post by patc »

Thursday 5th September

Mat: Harrison/Zak/Dayna

Eve: Redmand/Joe/Demi

Not so much a review as some comments about yesterday’s shows. I’ve posted separately about great new Michael, Zak Baker, in his own thread and Harrison/Redmand/Joe were the other main men and don’t need any introductions.

Last night was like a leaving night……well, it was a leaving night……or I should say nights..... for one of the Ballet Girl groups. They, as always, gave their hearts and souls for their final show. I was disappointed that no announcements were made to the audience in recognition of what these girls have contributed to the show. It would have taken very little time to do and I think it is a great shame. I wish them all the very best of everything for the future and thanks for all the fun and dance.

The girls’ families present in the theatre made for a great atmosphere and Redmand was not only cheered to the rafters (as if it was HIS last night) but received a fantastic and very lengthy reception after his classy Electricity so we got a very long session of THAT smile.

It was great to see legendary Tall/Posh Boy Ashley there to see off the girls he would have performed with hundreds of times.

The reintroduction of the accordion to accompany Deka’s beautiful rendition of Deep Into The Ground has been most welcome. Thanks to Simon Ray who has now got this going really well and it makes such a difference to the overall enjoyment of this plaintive song that never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

With Howard absent it was the versatile David Bardsley’s turn to cheer us all up with his own particular brand of George. He has never changed his style and it was brilliant fun, as always.

Two magical Dream Ballets by Alexander with Harrison/Redmand made my day.

Another two fantastic shows again this week and grateful thanks to all.

A flashback to one of the shows I saw last week. The little girl who was part of a family who were sat behind me asked her Dad questions throughout the show - in a nice quiet manner. He was brief and succinct with his replies. After Debbie had made her offer to Billy in the Toilet Scene the little girl asked her Dad, "What did she say?". Quick as a flash her Dad replied, "Ask Mummy", LOL.

Pat
angelenroute
Billy

Re: September 2013 Reviews - London

Post by angelenroute »

patc wrote:A flashback to one of the shows I saw last week. The little girl who was part of a family who were sat behind me asked her Dad questions throughout the show - in a nice quiet manner. He was brief and succinct with his replies. After Debbie had made her offer to Billy in the Toilet Scene the little girl asked her Dad, "What did she say?". Quick as a flash her Dad replied, "Ask Mummy", LOL.
LOL, thanks, Pat! :D
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

Saturday 7th Matinee

Billy: Harrison Dowzell
Michael: Zach Atkinson
Debbie: Millie Thornton

I've only had the pleasure of seeing Harrison perform once before, so I was over the moon to see his name on the board. He was even more fantastic this afternoon than I remembered - I'm surprised he didn't lose his voice with his screaming in Angry Dance, and his Electricity is absolutely stunning and he does the street version proud. A personal highlight of the show for me however was that, when he was getting dressed for Angry Dance, he put on his tracksuit bottoms back to front, so the pockets were at the back. Not sure anyone else noticed but it made me giggle.

I also adore David(?) Muscat as Mr Braithwaite - his Diaghilev speech is brilliantly delivered and he is such a tremendously camp dancer.

Saturday 7th Evening

Billy: Redmand Rance
Michael: Zak Baker
Debbie: Dayna Dixon

I couldn't have been more excited to see Redmand coming out for the evening show (although I haven't yet seen the elusive Elliott and I can't wait until his name pops up on the board). He just oozes class throughout the whole show, although I suppose like Harrison he is a veteran at this. I personally prefer the ballet version of Electricity and he was superb at it tonight - got a standing ovation from most of the stalls afterwards.

Tom Fox as Tall Boy is excellent too - I feel these performers always get a little neglected. After asking George for 'a word', he tripped and fell on his run offstage after being boxed. I love the little things that happen that people probably wouldn't notice if it was their first show, and might've thought it was an intended part of the performance, but once you've seen it a few times you can laugh at these extras (like the time when poor Ann Emery fell down the last step after Billy opened his acceptance letter and came down from his bedroom - luckily she wasn't hurt, and neither she nor Kevin (who tripped and fell over her!) could keep a straight face for the rest of the scene).

I'm assuming it was some of the Ballet Girls last nights tonight, judging by the shouts from the audience. They are all fantastic, and one I think stands out is the girl who played Sharon Percy - obviously the girls have to act like they can't do ballet, but her talent still shines through, especially in the attitude promenade sequence. I wish the girls who (I think) left tonight the best of luck in what they choose to do next.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 12th September

Ali/Joe/Demi

When you’ve been born with a stunning and expressive pair of eyes you have to get to know how to use them. If you can act as well then the combination on a stage or film set is powerful. Ali has them both. Billy first enters the stage from the back and stays there more or less almost anonymously until his brief exchange with Michael followed by Take Me Up. As Ali made his way step by step across the stage his head is down but he eventually reached the point near the front where he finally turns around to face the audience. It was only then that those expressive eyes were finally revealed beaming out from below his black hair and you are immediately captivated. And so this afternoon’s show got off to a stunning start and never let up.

With Joe Massey around you know you are in for a day of it and he got off to a great start in the hilarious Boxing Scene. Between them Howard, Joe and Ali had the audience in fits none more so than the ladies seated in Row C whose infectious laughter all day was a right bonus. At the shows I’ve seen over the past while the punch thrown by Michael that knocks Billy over has become much more realistic with Billy really flying backwards and sliding across the stage floor on his backside. On the other hand the Michaels seem to be hamming up their left and rights to George’s gloves that little bit more. The trio were brilliant in today’s episode.

When the Ballet Girls came in next for Shine it was plain to see that there were lots of new faces following last week’s departures. Well, the news is that they were absolutely fantastic and smilingly enthusiastic and you’d never have thought they were just starting their Billy careers by the manner in which they went about their work. They were equally impressive during Solidarity. Congratulations and a big welcome to all of them and I know that all their cheerful faces will become familiar over the coming months as they “bully” their Billys around the VPT stage.

Well, if the ladies in Row C thought the Boxing scene was funny they were practically destroyed with mirth when Joe showed up all dressed up in Expressing. Sporting that infectious impish smile, for the umpteenth time Joe lit up that stage with incandescent showmanship and the utmost degree of total commitment. Ali’s mood had been sobered by Dad at the end of Solidarity but now his eyes were glowing again with fun as the two of them cavorted and danced their merry dance with the dresses joining in to complete the scene.

Time for a sudden mood change and after the tense moments as Deka and Kevin did their first powerful scene of the day together it was on to the Letter. Ali doesn’t sob at the breakdown of the song. He uses his eyes again to convey his feelings and especially as Dead Mum comes in and makes her way across the stage to him. It is very effective.

In Born to Boogie, if you watch Simon Ray’s initial skipping act towards the back of the stage you will notice an extraordinary thing. As the skipping rope reaches the top of the arc each time it has become looped but in the split second that it takes to come back down to floor level again the loop has somehow gone and the rope is skipable again.

Demi has not been too long in the role of Debbie but already she is fully established as a great little actress and really comes into her own in the Toilet Scene. She certainly does have a unique voice which stands out in this scene and she is not afraid to pause and let the audience wait for her next line. Ali’s response to the offer was both considered and scintillating.

Part 1 concluded with a scintillating Angry Dance by an enraged Ali. Judging by the eyeful of anger he aimed at the occupants of the front row of the Dress Circle as he walked off I was surprised they were still in one piece.

Joe was once again to the fore in the Winter Scene where his masterful command of comedy and pathos ruled.

Lee Hoy was the man in charge of my favourite scene Dream Ballet and he and Ali made sure I enjoyed it to the full with a beautiful and graceful rendition.

The second altercation between Deka and Kevin at the pit is beyond description at this stage. This powerful and highly charged confrontation has been developed so well that it rivals the Letter for emotion, albeit a completely different kind of emotion. I would say that of all the enhancements to the show we have seen over the past 12 months this one is the standout thanks to Deka and Killian firstly and now Deka and Kevin have taken it on even further.

We are somewhat fortunate that, at the moment, the Ballet and Street Electricity’s are equally divided so we get the best of both worlds. Having put great passion into the song itself, Ali’s brilliant street Electricity had everyone gasping with amazement. I thought his run up to the board for the wall flip was a bit shorter looking than usual but he went over smooth as you like and seemingly effortlessly. The applause was rapturous and those eyes told us he was enjoying the adulation.

Anna-Jane has been sensational since she joined the show and I vividly recall that first time I saw her as Mrs. W. She has brought a really dynamic freshness to the role and you simply cannot take your eyes off her. She has really taken the VPT by storm and, at the same time, has brought a new poignancy to her gentle scenes with Billy with the goodbye scene in particular being a gut-wrencher. Her acting in the pre-Angry Dance scene in the Elliot’s kitchen is a magnificent tour-de-force.

Grandma Gillian was superb as always and had already grabbed her audience with her first sentence in the show.

During the past week we have heard the great news that the show has been extended to 2015. This afternoon’s show was stupendous. Led by the magnificent Ali Rasul the entertainment was brilliant, uplifting and utterly fulfilling. To think that we have at least another (almost) two years of this to look forward to is just the right remedy as Summer disappears fast, we enter the Autumn with the bleak Winter and dark evenings to come. It is great to know that in a certain spot in England’s capital city the sun will continue to shine every week.

Thanks again to Ali, Joe and all the gang.

Pat
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Not having been to the theatre much lately, mainly because of work commitments, I was delighted to see Ali's name on the board this afternoon. As Pat has said the combination of him, Joe and Demi were a remarkable mix. The audience absolutely loved this fireball of a Billy. The show always keeps sparkingly fresh. It was further enhanced this time by the great bunch of new ballet girls taking to the stage.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks to Westletonion and especially to patc for their comments about yesterday's show.

Pat, you continue to amaze me with the detail of your reviews and, after reading one of them, you often leave me shaking my head in wonder at your choice of such descriptive words. I have no idea what you do for a living, but if it doesn't include writing the world has been deprived of your genius.

In this review, in particular, you've managed to highlight the performances of just about all the key players and I really enjoyed your descriptions.

Please keep up the great work and keep the reviews coming!
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Well said porschesrule! Pat doesn't miss a thing!
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Thursday 12 September ( evening)

As I was on grandson duty in the afternoon I was unable to be at the matinee, although I was aware that Ali, Joe and Demi had been on duty. Arriving at the VP Theatre at about 7 o/c I was, therefore, somewhat surprised to see these three names again on the cast board. For one to do two shows in a day would have been unusual, but for three of them, probably unheard of. Once the players were on stage, however, it was clear to see that the cast board had not been changed, for we had Harrison, Zach ( with a ch) and Millie in the roles of Billy, Michael and Debbie. As with most Harrison shows fireworks were not too far away,but there were no damp squibs to be seen or heard, for this was a crackerjack of a show and make no mistake.
I may have said this many times before, but Harrison hits the floor running and simply never stops. Harrison, once more, became Billy very quickly and I love the way he attempts everything that he sees the Ballet girls do, usually without much success, of course. However, the ballet moves start to gel and the smile becomes broader as he completes the 'spots' and then the pirouettes in Solidarity, so pleased is he with his achievement.
Harrison sang The Letter in a most delicate manner that truly brought out what it meant to Billy and his face was a picture as he 'saw' his Dead Mum. This was emotional stuff. So much so that the lady sitting behind me ( I believe seeing the show for the first time) was sobbing uncontrollably.
Born to Boogie followed, with such fluent, well timed, dancing and skipping from all three on stage, that had the audience cheering with delight. Millie is a terrific Debbie and you could see she was most disappointed that Harrison, after a lot of thought, declined her offer, in the Toilet scene. Watch out for the way she tries to provoke Billy into giving a positive answer.
Harrison's Angry Dance always lights up the stage, the decibel level goes right through the roof as he takes out his anger on anything that moves. His tap movements are so fast and furious, it is a wonder he does no damage. ( At the interval, the lady sitting behind summed it up by saying ,'' I cannot believe what I am seeing'').
Dream Ballet, with alternate Older Billy, Lee Hoy, was perfectly performed and again drew wild applause from the audience. The angry scenes at the pit gates that followed held the audience spellbound and as quiet as a mouse. The audience felt sorry for Billy when the audition didn't quite go to plan, but were uplifted by seeing Harrison perform his fast moving, street and acro Electricity. Acrobatics and moves that I cannot possibly describe were performed with perfect timing and, as usual, ended with the back flip off the board. The audience erupted into more wild applause.
Harrison likes his Jaffa cakes and ate several during and after the RBS Letter scene. The final scenes with Mrs Wilkinson and Dead Mum were played out with just the right amount of emotion. At the final curtain the audience couldn't wait to rise as one to show its appreciation.
A final word or two about Zach ( with a ch) and Millie. Zach has been in the show a little while now and brings a comedic quality to the Michael role, making excellent use of facial expressions, but shows the right air of seriousness when it matters. As for Millie, she is a dream Debbie, making the most of being 'put upon' by Mum, by stomping around the floor a lot and not being afraid of giving Mum a few two-fingered salutes. She is hilarious.
An excellent way to fill an evening. I could easily go to see the show again.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

dancingboy wrote:An excellent way to fill an evening. I could easily go to see the show again.
I've no doubt you will :lol:

Thanks to you too, John, for another fine review. We thank you guys for keeping us up to date on London performances so we can vicariously enjoy them from afar.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks for all the kind comments. Believe me, I wouldn't be able to write a single, solitary word without the inspirational performances that I see at the VPT. They are the spark.

Thanks, John, for review of last night. Strange about the Board not being changed at all. I think you should definitely go again as it is a show that deserves to be seen at least twice :D .

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”