October 2013 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Todd
Dad

Re: October 2013 Reviews - London

Post by Todd »

Lola wrote:In this video you can see that at least in March this year there used to be a "flyman" that used to pull the wire up and down by hand. They don't do this anymore?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm73LoBVIFs
Interesting video. Don't believe I had seen it before. And once again, I find out that I've been saying one of the Billy's names wrong after about two years of mis-pronounciation. Tade introduced himself as Tade Biesinger (pronounced BEE-singer) and I had always thought it was pronounced "BYE-singer." :oops:
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Thank you for the video link Lola. Tade has a most engaging manner to camera.

I commented on the change in flying system in a review during the summer.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Thursday 24th October [Matinee]

Ali / Joe M / Demi / Rory / Cyrus
Dad - David Bardsley
Mrs W - Helen French
Grandma - Gillian Elias
Dead Mum - Claudia Bradley

I will keep this short, as it was a late return home with several accidents blocking the M3 motorway.

It was another fantastic matinee, with a good crowd and lots of schoolkids, and quite a few younger ones with parents (clearly some are on early Half Term, which for most schools is next week). I continue to warm to David Bardsley as Dad - his singing of Deep in the Ground was stellar. Helen French was a knockout; fantastic rapport with the BGs and very challenging yet tender with Billy. Gillian Elias as Grandma commands the stage; her 'knife' moment, the whistle with her fingers, and her rendition of 'Grandma's Song' are all unique and on target. New to me was Claudia Bradley, who really impressed me as a slightly older, more maternal yet knowing Dead Mum, with that look in her eyes that made it clear she was keeping a watchful Mum's eye on young Billy.

On to the Young'Uns. Rory is a hoot. Is he the smallest Small Boy ever? From his gap tooth grin to his cheeky asides with the other actors, it is clear that he is more than cumfy in his role. I have seen Cyrus as Tall Boy before and I am impressed by the way he adds his own touches to a role that is really quite simple. The 'Please Sir - may I have two words' got one of the biggest laughs I have heard yet. Demi is a 'younger' Debbie, which made her somewhat coquettish lines even more interesting. I will return to her accent in a moment.

Joe M. He is at the pinnacle of his Michael career - that golden moment when you know he owns the role yet still has more to add to it. He is that good. Which brings me to Michael's BFF - Ali as Billy. I last saw him in his early days, in May I believe. How he has grown in confidence! Like Harrison, he is a street dance Billy and Electricity received the same roars of approval that they did for Harrison last Thursday (I think I can safely say that younger matinee school crowds dig the street dancing!). There were one or two moments in Expressing when things got a tad out of synch - one dress was not caught when passed between the two; some ballet shoes took a long, long time to be put on - but good actors know how to recover and these two keep the show going and flowing. It is a great partnership.

Last week I moaned about the slow rotations as Billy ascends the wire; they seemed a bit faster this week, though I can claim no credit!

Which brings me to accents. Somewhere in the second act it dawned on me that I was watching real Geordies playing the two lead children's roles. I realised that the accents I heard are the real deal. That the dialogue snapped along with the sense of alacrity that one encounters in the north east. For a brief moment, during the infamous loo scene, Ali and Demi morphed for me into the real Billy and Debbie. Not actors playing those roles, but the actual people. And it all comes down to the accent, which for them is as natural as can be. And for a moment, for me, it brought a spark of magic that, after nearly 70 performances, seemed as fresh as a new dawn. It was magic!

The traffic jams on the M3 could not erase the smile on my face as I returned home...........
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

kport wrote:On to the Young'Uns. Cyrus is a hoot. Is he the smallest Small Boy ever?
I presume you mean "Tall Boy" and not "Small Boy" for Cyrus, right?
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

porschesrule wrote:
kport wrote:On to the Young'Uns. Cyrus is a hoot. Is he the smallest Small Boy ever?
I presume you mean "Tall Boy" and not "Small Boy" for Cyrus, right?
Corrected. And it was Rory, not Riley, as SB.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY 24th OCT matinee

Another great afternoons entertainment at the Victoria Pali,
topped up with a splendid sparkling!! performance from Ali.
Its quiet a while since I last saw Ali his total performance has come on a treat, to me he has a more serious approach to Billy, yet he shows a crafty glint in his eyes, trying to get what he wants and also his own way. Ali is really clever at delivering his punch lines, his diction is so clear, seen especially by the audience in their reaction in the Kitchen Scene with the exceptance letter. Loved his cheeky way, with Mrs Wilkinson and Mr Braithwaite in B2B, his performance in Electricity plus his inter reaction with the audience in the finale, summed it up for me, "Well Done Ali"
I agree with Kport the true accents with Demi and Ali together stands out, Demi is an outstanding Debbie she's great at showing her disguist at not having a own way with mum.
Joe on top form as usual, I always have a good laugh at his antics with the tutu, you will be sadly missed young man, your leaving date is approaching very fast.
It was the first time I've seen Helen French as Mrs Wilkinson, very impressed loved her performance throughout.
A special mention to the hard working Ensemble you are so versatile and are a great attribution to the shows success, your hard work is so appreciated also the ballet girls as well. Another good audience for the matinee they really enjoying the effort put in
So "A Big Thank you to you All" especially those who I have not mentioned in this short review.

Barrys corny joke - Murphy & Paddy have just left University and were sent to the Hartlepool Marina to measure the height of a flag pole. Murphy said to Paddy, Blimey we haven't got a ladder long enough.By then a good looking lass came along and asked them what were they up too.
She immediately got a spanner out of her bag (they carry spanners in Hartlepool instead of make up and mobiles), she then undid the bracket and lowered the flag pole, then got out a tap measure, and measured the flag pole and said it was 18ft, then walked off. Murphy turned round to Paddy and said she's completely nuts! and a rite d **k head to me, we only wanted the height not the length.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 24th October - all day

Matinee: Ali/Joe/Demi
Evening: Elliott/Zach A/Millie

Dad: David B
Mrs W: Helen
Grandma: Gillian
Dead Mum: Claudia

Those of us who have dabbled in athletics will know the thrill and excitement of running that 100 yards in a second (or two) less time than before or exceeding previous High Jumps by an inch (or two). Of course, it takes time to get past each milestone and every step along the way requires the utmost determination and commitment.

The Billy’s stage life is no different and in the history of Billys there have been no flops (Fosbury or otherwise). They have to be exceptionally talented to be chosen to even set foot on that stage in the first place and then begins their progress up the ladder of performance. For us fans, watching this progression is a major part of the ultimate enjoyment of the show. Along the way there comes a point where you can say, yeah, he turned it up a notch today, we can recognise the moment. Usually, this happens with one Billy at a time but, at yesterday’s shows, the lucky ones among us who saw both saw two Billys move up to their next level on the same day. Both Ali and Elliott stepped up to the plate with two absolutely stunning performances that each rank in my book as their greatest to date. Both shows were played to massive audiences who showed their appreciation in no uncertain matter during and after the shows. You only had to look at the expressions of disbelief on the faces of Ali and Elliot as they held their poses after Electricity not to mention the standing ovations at the end and the buzz on the way out. Yes, lads, you WERE that good.

The amazing thing is that you probably couldn’t get two more different Billys. The script, songs and dances may be the same for both boys but the manner in which they have determined how to deliver them varies greatly and this is another factor that makes BETM so fascinating to see over and over.

Ali’s breathtaking, all-action, lumbago-inducing street version of Electricity and Elliott’s glorious and graceful, smooth ballet version are poles apart but the end result is the same for the watcher.

The response to Debbie’s offer in Ali’s case was a combined and long-held open-mouthed eyesfest while Elliott’s smirking reply left nobody in doubt as to what he thought of it. Great fun.

Even the “no, she was just me Mam” reply to Mrs. W after The Letter was spoken in two completely different ways.

Unlike the High Jump there are no limits to the heights that these two can rise to and the great thing is that time is on their side.

With only a couple of weeks to go, Joe Massey served notice that he will be going out on a high. It will be such a sad night when the light goes out on November 9th and this thought combined with Joe’s subtle expression at the fall of curtain brought more than one tear to the eye of this reviewer at 5.30pm yesterday.

Thankfully, Zach A will still be with us and looking to take on Joe’s crown. He will not be beaten on style and panache (and smiles) in Expressing and his tutu routine is hilarious. I’ve just watched him (and Redmand) perform a brilliant short version Expressing on the Titchmarsh show on ITV. Watch the bookings take off after that.

It was great to be sat among two audiences that understood theatre and knew when it was appropriate to applaud and when to sit in silence. Both Joe and Zach’s exit after the Winter scene was accompanied by such respect that even Jimmy Dyson’s new quiet hairdryer would have sounded like thunder.

Demi and Millie were brilliant. They might not quite have the starring roles as the Billys and Michaels but they are making the roles their own in their particular styles and have not stood still in their development. I didn’t think it was possible but Millie has managed to turn up her cheeky factor another notch or two and, my dear audience, you WILL wait while she decides how long she will take to show it.

The Ballet Girls were phenomenal.

David Bardsley is having a fantastic run as Dad these days. He has not changed his interpretation of the role very much over all the years and I hope he never does.

Claudia’s Dead Mum is very tender and she has such a beautiful singing voice.

Helen French delivered two truly brilliant performances that combined all Mrs W’s qualities into one delightful package.

I can remember when Gillian Elisa seemed to come from nowhere to play Grandma. She has been an ever-present since and is a huge part of the enjoyment of the show. When you have finished reading this I urge you to go to the link below and see just who Gillian is and what she has been up to. The good news is that she will be Grandma until at least May 2014.
http://www.gillianelisa.co.uk/page1.html#target

On a comical note. As David sang the opening lines of Deep into the Ground one of the balloons burst with a very loud bang right behind the ears of the seated ladies on the right hand side. Obviously, it gave them quite a fright much to the amusement of certain of the men who shall remain nameless.

To Ali/Elliott/Joe/Zach A/Demi/Millie and the entire cast from Small Boy to Grandma plus all the music and creative geniuses once again I say thanks for your magnificent performances yesterday that sent us all home with great joy in our uplifted hearts. There is nothing on the Planet that comes close to it.

Pat

PS Great joke, Barry. Really enjoyed it. Great to hear that Murphy and Paddy went to University. In my day they just helped to buildcities.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Friday 25 October and Saturday 26 October

There are some shows or performances you see which you know you must write about. Well, the two shows I saw on Friday and at the Saturday matinee were two such occasions.

On the Friday Harrison played Billy and was teamed up with Joe as Michael and, I think, they must have put on a full dress rehearsal for their final show on the 9 November. The both of them were on top of, or maybe even above, their game and you would need to go a long way to see a better performed Expressing Yourself. There was no doubt that Joe's infectious laughter spread to Harrison and together they put on the style as they laughed and danced their way through the number. They were hilarious together. Joe, of course, took the applause with his usual smile on his face, although, quite frankly, he deserved a standing ovation. I am sure he will get one on his last night. Harrison's renditon of Angry Dance needs no more words from me to describe, only to say that, once more, he put his heart and soul into thrilling the audience to such an extent that he received a standing ovation from hundreds of people.

Having been revived by some half-time refreshment Harrison continued in the same vein during the second half, showing off his ballet skills in Dream Ballet and producing another stunning Electricity in his own inimitable style. Once more, hundreds in the audience could not contain themselves and provided a standing ovation at this point. Harrison's broad smile in acknowledgement was a picture. Those who have seen Harrison often will know that in the Winter scene he tends to throw the tutu high to Michael. On Friday he threw the tutu so high I thought it was going to hit the roof and, of course, Joe had to wait awhile before he caught the thing.

For me, a show to remember and a prelude to 9 November, when we have to say 'Goodbye' to these two wonderful entertainers.

At the matinee on Saturday it was Redmand's turn to produce his usual excellent display of singing, dancing and acting and his performance was a joy to watch. What impressed me about Redmand's acting ( which, I know, I have commented on previously) was the way he used pauses, intonations in his voice, stressing words, together with a clarity when delivering his lines, that gave so much meaning to the words.

There was some strong dancing in Dream Ballet and in his version of Electricity, which ended with a series of well performed spins and pirouettes. A thoroughly deserved ovation followed. Like a fine wine Redmand gets better and better as he gets older, mind you he is only thirteen.

Redmand, however, produced a first, at least for me, during the Winter scene. After Michael ( well played by Zak) produced the Sindy Doll from his coat pocket Redmand decided to feed it from the beer can!! I had not seen that before and it was very funny indeed.

At both shows, the never- to- be- underestimated pair of Helen French ( Mrs Wilkinson) and David Bardsley ( Dad) were again on sparkling form, as were Demi and Dayna ( the Debbies). I take my hat off to them all.
MegaBillyfan
George

Post by MegaBillyfan »

Thank you for the wonderful reviews - it`s always such a joy to read them when you`re far away from London!
(And I just decided to see the shows on next Thursday even though I`m only one day in London on my way to Edinburgh! :D - I MUST!!)
London: 27 shows (Ryan 2* - my first Billy, Dean, Kaine 4*, Adam, Redmand 4*, Harrison 3*, Harris 2*, Tade 3*, Ali 2*, Matteo, Ollie, Bradley, Nat, Euan - my last Billy)

I can´t really explain it, I haven´t got the words
It´s a feeling that you can´t control ...
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 31st October

Elliott/Zach A/Demi

There were no tricks at the VPT this afternoon, just treats. Loads of wonderful treats. The chief treat was Master Elliott Hanna witch, for me, meant back-to-back Elliott shows and, having ghosted in the back door with Dad, he continued where he left off last Thursday with a beautifully paced Billy performance leading up to a fan(g)tastic and brilliantly danced ballet Electricity that had monster applause ringing out before he had even finished and a thoroughly deserved standing ovation at the end.

Master Atkinson was not so much a Zach o’lantern, more a shining beacon in Expressing and went nuts in the Winter scene as he demonstrated his bit o’ ballet.

The Board-at-the-Door had a large white empty space under Debbie’s name and some of us wondered if a Billy in fancy dress might have to take on the role but I can vouch that it was super-Demi who appeared.

There were, of course, the usual fireworks between Billy and Dad, Dad and Tony but happy endings prevailed between them.

Billy, of course, does have its own apparition and the wonderful Kay was back as Dead Mum.

To all souls on stage today I say fangs for the memories that made it another great Thursday emotionfest.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”