Les Misérables

Chat about other shows here
Muppet
Michael

Re: Les Misérables

Post by Muppet »

caaz wrote:
Muppet wrote:Has anyone else booked to see the Les Miserables 25th anniversary gala concert at the O2 arena in October?

It should be an awesome night. 8-)
in my dreams....it is ridiculously priced :shock: :cry:
It is, you're right, but it's a one off (well it was until they introduced a matinee show too!) lol
*Lottie*
Tony

Post by *Lottie* »

i wish
wish i'd just booked when there was still cheap tickets available
lottery anyone?
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

I can't wait to see this on tour at the Lowry, Salford this week!
hecouldshine
Small Boy

Post by hecouldshine »

How did you enjoy the 25th anniversary show at the Lowry muppet? We went saturday night and thought it fantastic; the standing ovation was well deserved :D :D :D Popped on here (which I don't do often enough) to see if you'd written us a review yet....

It’s so long since I have seen the London production that I can’t really comment on the changes in this new staging but hubby says that they’ve “padded out the bits between the songs” a bit more and made the narrative flow better as a result. He reckoned that Gavroche had lost some lines he sings. Also the ballroom scene at Cosette and Marius’ wedding had been extended and was funnier. Don’t know what else..

From my perspective I enjoyed the whole thing much more than last time, without being able to put my finger on why. The ensemble only just created enough volume, but that’s always the problem in the provinces... mean with the size of ensemble.

John Owen-Jones as Valjean was PHENOMENAL! How he can manage such perfect quality and tone and with nuance when he has to sing such an enormous range (and quantity) is beyond me.

We enjoyed Earl Carpenter’s Javert, and Rosalind James as Eponine. We felt Jon Robyns, playing Enjolras, (instead of his previous normal role as Marius in London) has more stage presence than Gareth Gates. Gareth’s voice was lovely, but could have done with more volume at times, and his acting didn’t project to us (in the Gods!) all the time.

It will be interesting to see if some of the changes make it through to the permanent London show.

Looking forward to hearing what you made of it Muppet.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

I absolutely agree with almost all of what you have said hecouldshine!

The stand out performances for me were John Owen-Jones as Jean Valjean, Earl Carpenter as Javert and Rosalind James as Eponine (she was superb!). Gareth Gates was MUCH MUCH better than I expected (I had VERY low expectations). His acting from the viewpoints I saw him was excellent. He struggled a little bit with the really low notes in 'Empty Chairs at Empty Tables', but then they are quite difficult to sing!

I went to see it last week at the Lowry. It was AWESOME! Particularly the staging and the projection imagery. The sewer scenes were very clever! I loved it so much I went again tonight and whilst there booked to go again tomorrow!! Last week I had Grand circle front row which was a nice view, tonight I had mid-second row of the stalls which was fantastic...tomorrow I have rear of Dress circle.

Last week I had Toby as Gavroche who was brilliant, and tonight I'm convinced it was Robert Madge (ex-Artful Dodger in Oliver!) we had, but the board in the foyer said Max!

I was trying to decide whether I preferred the more 'simplistic & minimalistic' set in London or the more lavish staging of the touring production the most, but I think after seeing it again, the touring one wins!! So, yes I do hope after the tour has finished, some of these elements will make their way to the West End.
hecouldshine
Small Boy

Post by hecouldshine »

Muppet wrote:I It was AWESOME! Particularly the staging and the projection imagery. The sewer scenes were very clever! I loved it so much I went again tonight and whilst there booked to go again tomorrow!!

Last week I had Toby as Gavroche who was brilliant, and tonight I'm convinced it was Robert Madge (ex-Artful Dodger in Oliver!) we had, but the board in the foyer said Max!

I was trying to decide whether I preferred the more 'simplistic & minimalistic' set in London or the more lavish staging of the touring production the most, but I think after seeing it again, the touring one wins!! So, yes I do hope after the tour has finished, some of these elements will make their way to the West End.
Thanks for your review Muppet. Wow you've really enjoyed it! You've reminded me of some of the staging differences. Thankyou! I'd forgotten the sewer projection imagery!

Gavroche on saturday evening really reminded me of a Dodger. He was excellent. The board said it was Max; but I'm not sure I trust it as it said the same thing for the afternoon matinee and would he have done both?
The staging of the touring production is my favourite too!
jon01
Miner

Post by jon01 »

Muppet wrote: Last week I had Toby as Gavroche who was brilliant, and tonight I'm convinced it was Robert Madge (ex-Artful Dodger in Oliver!) we had, but the board in the foyer said Max!
I've just spoken to Robert Madge and can confirm he was Gavroche on Monday night, they forgot to change the cast board, they have since updated the board :)

Robert will be Gavroche in the O2 concerts in October

Jon
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Thanks for that Jon01.

I thought it was! He was very good!

I'm presuming he also did Tuesday night when I went again!?
*Lottie*
Tony

Post by *Lottie* »

I saw it at the cinema lat night too :)
The end was especially emotional.
And the whole cast was phenomenal

I also spotted Phill Snowden.

ahh Gavroche was amazing!
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

It was an AWESOME night at the O2 arena yesterday, great atmosphere, great seat, good friends, superb staging, very emotional ending.

Alfie Boe, Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo, Matt Lucas, Lea Salonga, Samantha Barks and Robert Madge were all excellent. Although he probably looked the part, I did feel the voice of Nick Jonas was a little weak and he didn't quite have the range to deliver 'Empty Chairs' effectively.

It was a night, I won't forget for a while, can't wait for the DVD on 29th November!

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”