November 2013 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

November 2013 Reviews - London

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 7th November

Harrison/Zach A/Dayna

Just a short review as it’s late and have a lot to do tomorrow before heading back over to London on Saturday for another night of nights.

How lucky we were to get a pre-last-show show of the mighty Harrison but this was not the calm before the storm. This was the storm before the storm. When Harrison blows in you always get hurricane ingredients racing through your veins. There was no holding back for Saturday night. Another massive matinee audience packed to the rafters with enthusiastic youngsters ensured his efforts were fully rewarded.

The three big ones were huge. Angry Dance so powerful and energy sapping. I lost about a stone just watching it. Same with the stunning Electricity – another stone lost. By Saturday night I’ll be able to ride the bottom weight in the handicap hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival. In between, a sublime Dream Ballet with Alexander. Brilliant acting, a singing voice still well up to par although he looked to have grown about four inches since I saw him two weeks ago.

Zach A was fantastic. He got off to a great start with his hilarious George-mimicking and axx-scratching routine that was really too funny for words and the audience immediately latched on to him. From then on it was so heartwarming to watch someone so young being supremely confident in his ability to entertain an audience with dancing, fun and games and, subsequently, tear their hearts out. I hope he is going to be around for a long time.

Tall Boy Judes’ head-bashing at the RBS was the most realistic I have ever seen.

The imminent departure of Harrison added a special poignancy to the show. It is so hard to believe that he will walk down that aisle for the last time on Saturday with the legendary Joe left with the stage all to himself for the last time. It will be an emotional moment to remember. Remember to bring the tissues.

A vote of thanks to everyone for the great entertainment.

Pat
Westletonion
Miner

Re: November 2013 Reviews - London

Post by Westletonion »

A great delight to see Harrison on stage for the first time since early July. His energy and passion will be sorely missed when he finally leaves the stage tomorrow night. A thorough professional through and through who has the ability to bring out the very best in all the rest of the cast.
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

Harrison and Joe's last night - Saturday November 9th

Billy - Harrison Dowzell
Michael - Joe Massey
Debbie - Dayna Dixon

What a night tonight was! It was a truly spectacular show and a fantastic send-off for two extremely talented boys. The atmosphere was electric. Just before I launch into my (probably overlong) review, I wanted to say congratulations to the whole cast - you pulled out all the stops and it was a perfect show. Although it was a shame that Deka was unable to be onstage as Dad with Harrison for his last night, I have to say I am impressed with Steve Paget, in particular his performance of Into the Ground.

In the audience, it was like playing Spot-the-Billy, so many ex-Billys were in attendance and I'm sure that helped Harrison and Joe up their game to the best it could be. I heard Harrison's mother saying he had been so nervous before the show, but he needn't have been, he was already up there among the Billy greats.

I'm not expecting to ever see an Angry Dance that good again. He normally blows the roof off, but he was incredible tonight. I think my jaw was in my lap for the whole dance. He was putting so much effort in and moving so quickly I was worried he'd hurt himself and not be able to finish the show! It appears I underestimated him ... When David Massey joked about being happy to get rid of the boys due to teenage moodiness, I was thinking I'm glad I won't be on the receiving end of a teenage tantrum from Harrison after his rage during Angry Dance!

One thing I was really happy about was that the skipping in Born to Boogie went perfectly with nobody standing on their ropes by accident. I've seen shows where one of them trips up, and it doesn't detract from the dance, but I'm glad it went textbook for Harrison on his last night.

His Electricity was absolutely flawless and for me, very emotional. The cast were all watching him from the wings and applauding. Particularly on his last 'I'm free!' yell before finishing the dance, he was like an open book and there was so much emotion in that scream. After he was finished, he received a standing ovation (obviously!) and put his head back and closed his eyes and beamed, soaking it up. I hope he remembers that moment forever.

When he climbed back onstage to kiss Michael, just before doing so he put his arm round Joe's shoulders and that sent me, and many of the people round me, grabbing for our tissues. Joe's face as Harrison walked away was heartbreaking.

I think I actually found Expressing the most emotional part of the show, when Harrison and Joe were dancing together and clearly having a ball. It is their moment in the show to really shine as a pair, and they both performed some top-notch tapping.

Another emotional moment was when Tony gets up to hand Billy the lantern as he's packing his suitcase. Kevin's voice cracked as he said goodbye, and he was wiping his eyes as he sat down. It shows how close the cast are and how much they care about the kids they work with.

To those on the forum that I met yesterday (photo countdown man included!), I just wanted to say it was lovely to meet you as well.

Finally - Harrison and Joe, I'm sure you both have futures as stars in whatever avenue you end up travelling down. Congratulations to you both, and all the best.

Rachel
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

MsRF wrote:When he climbed back onstage to kiss Michael, just before doing so he put his arm round Joe's shoulders and that sent me, and many of the people round me, grabbing for our tissues. Joe's face as Harrison walked away was heartbreaking.
Now you've gone and sent me over the edge too! Thanks for sharing this very sweet detail! :)

Sean
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

What a wonderful review, MsRF. It's so nice that you've highlighted this final show for Harrison and Joe so superbly. I'm sure when they and their family members read it they will treasure it always.

Thanks for taking the time to put down your thoughts from those of us who couldn't be there.
BillytheBunny
Audience Member

Post by BillytheBunny »

Thank you for the brilliant review Rachel! I was thinking about the same thing during B2B, that "what a perfect skipping and that's exactly how it should go for Harrison's final" :D

I think both Kevin (Tony) and Jane (Mrs Wilkinson) were very emotional. When Billy was saying goodbye to Mrs Wilkinson and she was offering him "a piece of advice", the way Jane said the lines was so genuine and true that I think she actually meant every single word of it :cry: That has definitely got loads of tears from me :cry:
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

MsRF wrote:To those on the forum that I met yesterday (photo countdown man included!), I just wanted to say it was lovely to meet you as well.
It was nice to meet you as well, Rachel. I love meeting people who have recenty discovered the show and seeing their enthusiasm for it. Even after all these years I still have the same enthusiasm.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Here are a few photos from Harrison's and Joe's last show.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Wonderful pictures, David. You've once again perfectly captured these moments for the ages. Thanks for sharing them.
MegaBillyfan
George

Post by MegaBillyfan »

Thank you so much for the wonderful reviews and photos - it must have been an outstanding performance! Yesterday eve there were a few thoughts going to London and the VPT from Vienna and now there are a few tears reading the posts about the show. I wish Harrison and Joe all the best for the future!

See you sunshine ...
London: 27 shows (Ryan 2* - my first Billy, Dean, Kaine 4*, Adam, Redmand 4*, Harrison 3*, Harris 2*, Tade 3*, Ali 2*, Matteo, Ollie, Bradley, Nat, Euan - my last Billy)

I can´t really explain it, I haven´t got the words
It´s a feeling that you can´t control ...

Return to “Reviews - London”