Favorite Treble Choirs

For off-topic content
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Re: Favorite Treble Choirs

Post by Borrobil »

kport wrote: ..one of the common points raised concerns the purity of tone produced by boy trebles, whether from Libera, Tolzer, Montserrat, King's or St Paul's....
I didn't realise there were so many great choirs, so I will support my local chapel; King's :) . I think the ancient traditional choirs have a much more complex and full sound which remains constant over decades and is unique to each choir. If they "performed" directly to their audience like Libera, they would be streets ahead, but that’s not the way of the Anglican church. (which is an issue for a whole different forum).

Libera on the other hand has a sound that will change according to its most able soloists. There’s nothing wrong with that. I think their music is just as beautiful, but it does mean they only last until the next group comes along with a new trendier product.

Kings College School are pretty well turned out too. http://www.kcs.cambs.sch.uk/Articles/13 ... Kings.aspx

Here’s a couple of examples from Kings College Chapel Cambridge (AKA Hogwarts Great Hall), the diction is so precise.

First 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXtBm5B2y2E

And 1997 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHbajag6pQo
~ Paul ~
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

It seems that Libera has a lot of fans here. I love their sound - the amazing tight harmony - and beautiful arrangements.
This one is my favorite-It gives me goose-bumps every time I hear it.

http://youtu.be/1m8jGuapSmI
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Borrobil wrote:

Libera on the other hand has a sound that will change according to its most able soloists. There’s nothing wrong with that. I think their music is just as beautiful, but it does mean they only last until the next group comes along with a new trendier product.
The reason cathedral choirs (and chapel choirs like the one at Kings College--there are other chapel choirs from other colleges in Cambridge University that are also excellent if not as well known) continue is because they are attached to ancient institutions that have a centuries-old tradition behind them. Libera, by comparison, is attached to a parish church. Yes, they are not a cathedral choir, but I don't agree that they will "only last until the next group comes along with a new, trendier product." Their church is not about to close its doors, and they have been around for quite a while, so I don't see any reason that they won't continue to be around for quite a while yet.

As for the part about the sound changing according to its most able soloists, I don't quite agree with that either. Just as children are auditioned for cathedral/chapel choirs, Libera is also an auditioned group. I am reasonably sure that just as auditions for cathedral choirs are calculated to find boys whose tone quality can (or potentially can) contribute to their particular sound, Libera auditions are focused on exactly the same thing. Who knows? Since Libera doesn't have centuries of tradition behind them to fall back on, it might just possible that their audition process is even more crucial to the success of the group.

Also, with regard to any choir's "most able soloists," every choir master in existence takes the talents of his/her "most able soloists" into consideration when selecting what music the group will sing. Choir masters of cathedral/chapel choirs certainly have to deal with the issue when selecting music just as much as any other choir directors do. It really is no different than a director of a play considering the best fit for a particular role during the casting process. If he/she can't find what he/she feels is the right fit for the lead, he will choose another play. A choir master will know his choristers' voices and choose his musical selections accordingly.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
tankntonic
Ballet Girl

Post by tankntonic »

The Libera boys apparently do not think of themselves as a choir but a "group which sings classical slash pop mixed music"
that according to former member Ben Phillipp in this special about Libera;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_pyvWZlzwk

I'm sure most everyone has seen this, but it bears a replay, quite well done .
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Excuse a bout of passion!

I do not wish to do anything either than praise Mr. Prizeman's Libera for what is sets out to accomplish, for it has done so with great success.

But, as one who has sung as a chorister in some of the best parish choirs in America, before becoming a choral scholar at one of the top Oxford college chapel choirs, and a Lay Clerk of the leading cathedral in the Anglican Church, to compare Libera with a functioning parish/collegiate/cathedral choir is like comparing Epcot with the UN: it is a choral style, and not a choral tradition. Ellen is correct. And it IS honest: it claims to be nothing else.

Libera is a choral act/event/group created by the very gifted Robert Prizeman; and a very effective one, but it is not comparable to Leeds Parish/BathAbbey/Romsey Abbey/Christchurch Priory Choirs; all parish choirs that have a full choral commitment bordering on that of a cathedral choir; that are recorded and broadcast as a church choir.

In a previous post I cited the Bob Mitchell Choir, and I would dare to position Libera as the same: a professional choir linked to a parish choir that serves to entertain rather than serve in a church foundation. As an entertainment, Libera is a class act; of that there is no question; but what we see as Libera is not a functioning choir churning out Responses, Psalms, Magnificats and Nunc Dimitti; Anthems and Motets, Masses and Evensongs and Vespers and Complines day in and day out, come wind, rain or no congregation, all for the Glory of God and little pay............which is why I take a little exception at those choirs that do this as being, well, tossed aside as being humdrum compared to Libera.

God Bless Libera, and God Bless the Cathedral and Collegiate and Parish Choirs that carry on day in and day out, with little fanfare, doing their duty, as expected of them.

This following BBC video is forty years old (though it looks fresh enough to be filmed yesterday) and was filmed when I first sang as there as a lay clerk: these faces are now fathers; doctors; famous composers and conductors and ordinary men. I recall one cold January Evensong taken by the Archbishop, at which the choir sang with just two ladies in the congregation; one of these boys asked Archbishop Ramsay: 'Sir, why do we bother, if no one comes?" to which he replied: "We do it because they could not be here". It is a duty, not an 'entertainment'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVC3EB7yXlM

To me these boys sing this with as much vigour and commitment and passion as any choir anywhere at any time - and they knew WHY they were there. So please.....let us enjoy Libera, and the others serving in quires and places where they sing, for what they are, and not try to compare them with each other, for they are not comparable.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Whoa! Let's remember that this thread is about favorites, not about ranking groups/choirs/choruses/choral ensembles/whatever-you-want-to-call-them in terms of which ones are more impressive than others.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:Whoa! Let's remember that this thread is about favorites, not about ranking groups/choirs/choruses/choral ensembles/whatever-you-want-to-call-them in terms of which ones are more impressive than others.
I think I made it quite clear which is my favorite.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Shall we declare a winner?
Ellen

StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Question(though I know it's changing), why were there no girl choirs in ages past...I assume because it wasn't deemed proper for girls to sing in church? Sort of like no women Shakespeare actors? Voice wise why'll there is a difference I'm sure that's all it is, just different not BETTER, and probably more difference between boy soloists then between boy and girl singers. I certainly can't think of one well known girl choir, none would have the long history and tradition to be famous. Shame really.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

I don't go out of my way to listen to choir music but by FAR my favorite pop music is any band that uses choirs as backup...think of Rolling Stones You Can't Always Get What You Want or Sigur Ros Ara Batur. Some of these groups get a serious amount of their funding from these gigs (movie soundtracks too) I'm sure.

Return to “General Chat”