January 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: January 2014 Reviews - London

Post by StevenKing »

There's no bloody way Hard Rock is 10 min away from the VPT is it??? And I agree that of COURSE clapping along to Maggie Thatcher is ok, come on they are milking the audience to do it!!! Always ticked me off that almost no one in the USA ever did it, the most I ever saw do it here prob was well less then the LEAST I ever saw in LONDON, probably because the impact of the song is way way less here.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 23rd January

Oh man, another magical cracker of an Elliott-led show full of the best of everything. Big crowd and the atmospheric school parties are well and truly back after the Christmas break.

The bounty for being at this show was a large dollop of supreme entertainment and with no Billy Bligh around to spoil things. Displaying the same spirit as Billy Wallace at Stirling Bridge in 1297 nothing was going to stand in the way of victory for this magnificent army of actors and actresses, big and small.

Billy’s story will tell you all you need to know about overcoming adversity. What Billy is asked to do Billy can. What he has to achieve is far more complex than anything Billy Gates and his programmers ever came up with and, in this regard, Elliott was not only up to the task, he was way beyond it in a sterling display of acting, singing and awesome dancing that would have melted the hearts of even Billy Golding’s Jack-led tribe of savages.

Millie’s Debbie wouldn’t have lasted five minutes in Billy Wonka’s chocolate factory but in BETM she is a priceless ingredient.

Freddie has really blossomed out as Michael. In an hilarious Boxing scene, having already driven George demented, he epitomised the unfit-for-purpose boxing candidate with two lefts and a right (or was it two rights and a left?) that wouldn’t have harmed a gnat. In Expressing he threw more shapes than Billy Gallas and, to misquote Billy Shakespeare, in his case all that glitters IS gold. Freddie also has his unique way of doing things in the Winter Scene and a really impressive soulful parting of the ways with Billy at the end.

When Billy Boeing built his first little plane I’m sure he never envisaged the graceful flying put together by Lee Hoy and Elliott in Dream Ballet after they had floor-danced another beauty.

Elliott’s Electricity was the absolute highlight. Pure unadulterated magic from start to finish. Watching it build up to its climax was like seeing a Billy Wordsworth masterpiece in motion and, in conjunction with Deka’s emotional response as it progressed, came to a magnificent swirling finish with such a graceful pose. Oh, that glorious moment that lifts hearts and souls to incredible heights.

By the year 3000, when space travel is the norm, I reckon this eclectic and all embracing show will have sold more tickets than Billy Hearst did newspapers. It will have toured more Universes than Billy Hartnell and Billy Shatner put together.

Among all the Billys that have inhabited the planet, ‘Wor Billy the Kid reigns supreme and it was a privilege and an honour to be there to watch Elliott prove it yet again.

Pat
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

I gather you liked it then Pat? :lol:
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Don't forget, Pat, ''Bill Posters Will be Prosecuted''.
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

Friday 24th Jan

Billy - Mitchell
Michael - Freddie
Debbie - Millie

Another great night at the VPT, and another spectacular show by Mitchell. London really has done the right thing by getting him over here, he is just so passionate, whether he's breaking everyone's hearts with his sobbing during The Letter or showing everyone that all he wants to do for the rest of his life is dance whilst singing Electricity.

The audience were not quite as receptive tonight as they normally are - there was still the same amount of applause but there was not the usual full-stalls standing ovation that normally happens at the end. It was a shame because I think Mitchell (despite already being a veteran Billy) is improving all the time and he gave the best show I've seen him give tonight. His accent, which I thought was a little stilted when he first started in London, is now almost flawless.

Dream Ballet progressed beautifully, as usual, until it came to the point where Older Billy spins little Billy up to the ceiling. Older Billy, played by Lee Hoy, didn't quite get in the right place in time, so Mitchell was raised up out of his reach before he had time to spin him. Poor Mitchell had to ascend to the ceiling holding his pose completely static. It shows how professional these kids are that he kept on beaming and held himself proudly until he landed back on the ground. It was actually an interesting take on the scene - it was far less climactic but it still worked, and I think anyone who was seeing the show for the first time would not necessarily have thought anything was amiss (unless they were close enough to see the panic/indecision on Lee Hoy's face!). Mitchell giggled his way through the final part of the pas de deux before losing the grin to face Dad.

Mitchell's Electricity is also perfection - I've never seen such poise during the final grand pirouettes. Rather than finishing the set with a double pirouette as the other ballet Billys do, he finishes with five or six and even then takes his time lowering his working leg to the floor. His balance is incredible, and this was the first time I've seen an Electricity where Deka has actually shed tears.

All in all, another brilliant night watching the always brilliant cast. Freddie and Millie must not go unmentioned either - they are both hilarious and their comic timing is perfect, particularly Millie's dejected stomping and Freddie's catwalk imitation. And of course, thank you to the adult cast for the faultless shows you put on night after night!
jaj2636
Small Boy

Post by jaj2636 »

Would love to see Mitchell, hopefully I will soon! Happy for him that is accent is improving as heard it on some YouTube videos while on the US Tour.
He should be proud of his performance tonight
- Nice with they add their own personal touch to the role! :D
J
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Mitchell gave another very accomplished performance last night to a very receptive audience ably supported by Millie and Freddie and full cast except for older Billy (more of him later). Mitchell's acting was first rate throughout as was his singing and dancing. One of the best Electricities I have seen in a long while. His accent is impeccable and the emotion he showed in Letter and Letter Reply had people around me in floods. Mitchell also looked emotionally drained by it all which added to the impressive impact of the scene. It was however in Dream Ballet that we had an unintended but rather sureal experience which I can only descibe as 'Billy Elliot meets Peter Pan'. Older Billy failed to get any spin on the elevating Billy so Mitchell floated upwards in a way that was totally applicable to the words to come later in Electricity. He really was 'flying like a bird' :o Very different and very beautiful. The big grin on Mitchell's face showed us he could see the funny side of the situation. Overall a lovely performance by a very impressive boy who will surely go far if he keeps to the standard we saw again last night. On a musical note Chris Hatt (Musical dirctor) confirmed to me that the melody for the Billy shadow sequence has been recently changed by Martin Koch responsible for 'Musical Supervision and Orchestration'. It is based around 'Shine' and is very melodical and beautiful.
A class performance by Mitchell and thanks again to our American friends for exporting to us this very exceptional young man.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY EVENING 23rd JANUARY

Redmand / Zach / Dayna

Gillian as Grandma / Lee as Older Billy

Sorry I’m a bit late with this review but I’ve had difficulties in posting it. The last time I saw Redmand was early December at the matinee but unfortunately I had to leave at the interval to attempt to try and get back home to Yorkshire because of the North Sea tidal surge, not a pleasant journey it should have taken 3 and a half hours but it took 8 hours. So I was really pleased to see Redmands name on the board for the evening show.
Well I think those forum members in attendance will agree with me his performance was Sheer- Masterclass, magical, most memorable, what a credit he is to himself, to those hard working people who have coach him and of course to his family, so 5 GOLD STARS! Redmand. After watching his official Billy video, which incidentally I thought was so natural he got what he likes best, yes, that great ovation for his Electricity. Small things which always stands out to me in his acting are things like his loving relationship with Grandma and having a good laugh at her while she dancing and also when she finishes, Gillian Elisa outstanding again as Grandma. He snarls at the bullying ballet girls in Shine and is ready to chin one or two, the shock on his face when Mrs Wilkinson takes off her dress to show those glossy shorts, also the disgust in Solidarity of have to pay the 50ps, saying what a “rip off” and the absolute disgust with dad remarks while sat on the chairs before Electricity, then the sudden change, when he hears his dad say, that he is right behind his son.
Deka Walmsley’s performance as dad just gets better, great facial expression while Billy is dancing Electricity, he’s now so proud of Billy, love the dancing around on stage and singing “Who do you think you are kidding Mr. Hitler in the letter acceptance scene, and of course always popular his antics with Posh dad and the ballet dancer.
I always like Kevin Wathen as Tony, a real hot head fighting for the survival of the pit and his job, they new nothing else but mining in these pit villages. I really enjoy him with Howard Crossley in Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher they bounce along to open the second half brilliantly. In the gag scene in front of the tabs, Howard did his gag about Newcastle, well a group in the audience gave him as much cheek back, Kevin was in stitches, even Redmand had a smirk.
Anna-Jane Casey to be honest is the best Mrs Wilkinson I’ve seen, she has really has spiced up the part, so cruel to those ballet girls, you can understand why her husband turned into a alcoholic married to her, yet when she realises how good Billy is, real affection comes out, this might seem daft but I do feel for her as Billy says his final goodbye.
Howard Crossley was on top form as the lovable work shy George, great expressions from him in the Boxing Scene, Great to see Zach Atkinson taking the mickey out of him, Zach has stamped his name to be a fine Michael.
Oliver Breedon plays a wonderful toffee nose posh boy in the pre audition scene, sticking his nose up a Billy, mind you trying to creep round Billy later he gets his punishment.
Small boy was Lewis, I thought we’d lost him in the opening scene, he was well under the stage cloth and took some retrieving. Lewis always seems to enjoy is little part on stage and its great to see him singing along with the Ensemble
A Big Thanks to all those I haven’t had time to mention Dayna, Lee, Simon Ray, the Ballet girls and of course the Ensemble for a great evenings entertainment.

Barry’s corny joke - Went into a restaurant, the waiter came up and and said,have you seen the menu young man! I thought clever dick, flattery will get you nowhere. So in a blunt Yorkshire way I said, Now honey! I’ll have the sausages, burnt on the outside and raw in the middle, with mash with lumps, he said, Sir! we don’t serve that here, so I said ,Well you did yesterday!
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Monday 20 and Thursday ( evening) 23 January

RE(a)D All about It

To his family he is probably simply RED, but to me he is the REDoubtable REDmand Rance, with two performances on Monday and Thursday this week of the highest quality.

Never having to REDress the balance, never having to REDeem himself, REDmand shows no signs of REDucing his ability to Wow each and every audience, who must think it is their RED-Letter Day if they manage to see him perform. Certainly, there were some in the audience who were left RED-eyed after the emotion shown in the Letter scenes.

Should it be a while since you have seen the show, then REDiscover your appetite for it, get along to the Victoria Palace Theatre and, maybe, you will see REDmand. You never know the Company may throw down the RED Carpet in your honour.

With his acting and dancing ability I am sure that, in future, REDmand will always find a place to perform and will never be made REDundant. REDmand continues to be in tip-top form and it is a joy to watch the wonderful and many facial expressions he uses throughout the show, from which you sense ( and know) that he is listening and reacting to every word.

Zak played Michael on the Monday and Zach was Michael on Thursday, with some hilarious moments from the both of them. They, too, deserve the highest praise.

Do I like REDmand? You can take it as RE(a)D that I do. I never tire of watching him.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

WOW! :D :D

What great reviews. Thank you Pat, MsRF, Deanfan5, Barry and dancingboy.

Keep 'em coming.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - London”